• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Truck won't move...

deuce200385

When I purchased my M1008 I had it shipped to my location, when I went to unload the truck it would not go into any gear or 4wd...the shifter moves fine (including the linkage) but the truck wouldnt move. We put it in neutral and pushed it off the trailer. I put the truck in gear and it would move fine after that in any gear. Fast forward a few weeks...have the truck parked since Saturday, truck is on a very very slight incline with pb on, started the truck today and now it wont move again, the previous owner told me the tranny and transfer case had been rebuilt....i dont wanna call him out on here but so far i am unimpressed with the quality of his work so it wouldnt surprise me if it wasnt done right...any ideas on what could be the problem?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Start with the basics.

Fluid level and linkage adjustments.

Scarecrow1

If you have a warranty then call him NOW . The longer you wait the less chance you have of resolving the issue. If you didn't then live and learn. I hope you are able to figure it out either way .......

ranchhopper

There is a plastic donut that fits into a cup on the driver side frame rail make sure the rod from your trans is still seated in the donut there is a long spring on the rod for tension to keep it in place.

ranchhopper

Yes it looks good lots of times the plastic bushing splits and falls out then the rod wears a hole through the back of the cup and slides through taking all the movement out of the shift linkage you might check the U shaped piece bolted to your trans the shift rod goes through make sure it moves with the linkage and is not loose.

deuce200385

Nope transfer case is good to go, first time this happened we tried to put in 4wd and still got nothing....it almost seems like it has issues when on a slight incline...thought I felt it roll back the other day when I was on a slight incline but I was braking and parked...but idk im second guessing everything right now...it appears that I have no vacuum regulation to the tranny right now could that cause it not to move?

cliffyp

Nope transfer case is good to go, first time this happened we tried to put in 4wd and still got nothing....it almost seems like it has issues when on a slight incline...thought I felt it roll back the other day when I was on a slight incline but I was braking and parked...but idk im second guessing everything right now...it appears that I have no vacuum regulation to the tranny right now could that cause it not to move?
Yes. Vacuum issues can cause low line pressure in the transmission. Low line pressure can cause loss of movement.

SPECIALTYLC

Possibly the suction tube in trans pan not installed correctly. I had similar trouble with mine after sitting for a few days. Mine also had a rebuilt trans and the pickup tube was not on right allowing trans to suck air.

deuce200385

And of course I let it run for a good 20min or so today, outside temp is nicer today and it drives like no problems at all....just my luck...

Carlo

And of course I let it run for a good 20min or so today, outside temp is nicer today and it drives like no problems at all....just my luck...
In any case it sounds bad. Could be the converter bleeding off presure. Could be the bands in the trans but normaly not all go at once unless its bad. Hows the trans oil smell? Burnt? color?

deuce200385

Trans fluid loks and smells great but I havent driven it much and it could have been replaced right before I bought it...

ProPower

To me this sound like ''Carlo" is correct and the converter is draining back . To check this - check the trans fluid level when it is warm and works fine , then let it sit a couple days and check it again . If the level rises the check ball in the valve body is letting it drain back. On older tranys they can get gummed up or get a piece of debris stuck in it but being a new trans whoever rebuilt it could have forgot it! To fix this you can ether drop the pan and fix the valve body or put a in line check valve in the trans cooler line! Let me know how it turns out!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks