• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Truck won't start

harleyrkc

I started working on the truck I towed home from GL the other day. Fresh batterys were picked up today. I cleaned up the battery box, installed the batterys, and she turns over good. I applied a quick shot of ether just to try and coax her to life, she wants to start but I quickly realized I had no fuel. It took all of about a minute to decide I needed to pull the pump. The pump was fairly gummed up. I cleaned the intake and seperated the pump from the motor so I could turn the pump by hand. It was sticky initially but freed up easily. Re-assembled the pump and purged the line.

While I was purging everything I could think of I noticed the fuel lines were not connected like the other two trucks that I have running. It appears someone took the line that connected the right side fuel filter connection to the fuel compensator Tee, and ran it into the connection on the right side of the hydraulic head. The line that was connected from the HH to the fuel compensator tee was then looped from one side of the tee to the other side of the same tee to be used as a plug.

I set the fuel lines up to match the other two trucks and purged all the air out. But the truck still won't come to life. I know I have excellent fuel flow at least to the HH. How do I check the IP and HH?

Any suggestoins?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pull the cover on the fuel shutoff and make sure it isn't sticking.

harleyrkc

Thanks guys. I can't believe I didn't think to check the fuel shutoff. The other one stuck open and I couldn't shut the truck off until I hit it with some Kroil and gave it a little help from some channel locks.

If I need to bleed the injectors can I just loosen the compression nuts at the injectors and crank the engine?

autigers35a3

I think you can bleed them at the comp. nuts...
I think you bleed them one at the time.
MAy take someone turning over the motor as you bleed each injector.
I think the steps are something like this.. Open nut. turn over engine. Fuel comes out. Tighten nut. Go to next injector and do the same.
I would try that...
Someone correct me if I am wrong.
Good luck...

harleyrkc

Its not the fuel shutoff, I just went out and checked it so I didn't sit up woundering all night. I've got my soon to be brother in law's bachelor party tommorrow, so I won't be able to bleed the injector lines till Sunday.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Nope, no need to bleed the lines to the injectors, its something else. How did you decide it isn't the fuel shutoff?

harleyrkc

Nope, no need to bleed the lines to the injectors, its something else. How did you decide it isn't the fuel shutoff?
The fuel cut off moves in and out freely. Unless there's something else I should be looking for. Can I take the cover off? It looks like theresa just two screws to remove it.

jwaller

take the cover off, the rod moving means nothing.

don't waste time bleeding the injectors, soon as the HH puts fuel to them you will have a running engine.

jasonjc

The cover seal is just to keep stuff out.

The line the way you say they were is to bypass the FDC. They may have truned the fuel rate down after doing this. You may need a little thortol to start it.

Like said above you need to open up the cover and check the fuel shut off in inside. The rod moves a lever inside.

harleyrkc

Dumb question but did you try putting the pedal to the floor while you're cranking it?
Yup. The truck sounds and feels like its just not getting fuel though. The one hit of ether I gave it while cranking was the give away. It roared right to life like it wanted to run and then died. Im convinced there's no fuel to the injectors. But Im not against learning something either. Im just chasing what I see.

harleyrkc

Pulled the fuel stop cover and it didn't take much to see that the little actuator arm was in the off position. I touched it to see how stuck it was and it released, and then wiggled it back and forth a few times to verify it wasn't going to do it again. I'm thinking it only happened because the shutoff lever was left partially pulled out when the truck was parked. I'll lube all the cables and hope for the best.

Thanks for the help guys.

Now I just need to sort out the brakes. I topped off the resevoir and bleed the air pack, but I still have nothing and the the air pack doesn't sound like its working.

harleyrkc

The cover seal is just to keep stuff out.

The line the way you say they were is to bypass the FDC. They may have truned the fuel rate down after doing this. You may need a little thortol to start it.

Like said above you need to open up the cover and check the fuel shut off in inside. The rod moves a lever inside.
It could use a slight adjustment to help the idle. Where is the adjustment made? Or a better question..... which TM can I find that detailed in?

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I would return the fdc back to bypass, there could be a reason for the military doing this, like leaking fuel into the oil

does anybody know if there was a MWO for the bypass, if not there WAS a REASON

Last edited:

harleyrkc

I would return the fdc back to bypass, there could be a reason for the military doing this, like leaking fuel into the oil

does anybody know if there was a MWO for the bypass, if not there WAS a REASON
Whats an MWO? If theres something I need to fix to make this work so be it. I'm going to be running this truck on alternative fuels.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
MWO= MAINTANCE WORK ORDER, a system wide fix or update for something, like seat belts

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks