• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

True or Not True?

BTC70

I've been trying to get a replacement bed for the M1028 I have (It came from GL looking like someone was paid to beat it with various size hammers). After a few "I don't have any, but maybe try this guy" responses, I spoke with a guy that dealt exclusively with military Chevys. When I say "dealt with", I mean he gets some of the less gently used ones and then puts parts together to make decent ones. Anyway, he said that the beds on the military trucks are made of a thicker metal than the civilian versions. True or BS?

By the way, I'm still looking for a bed if anyone knows of one in the area of Jacksonville, FL.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Steve Syros told me the bed is a thicker Gage and is galvanized steel, Is that what you heard as well..?

Bighurt

There is probably a partial truth to the story. However I have to ask you this. Do you need a mil spec bed or just a new bed? Being that the two look identical I'd just get a take-off bed from a pick a part.

K9Vic

The only one that would really know is someone that worked at the factory or stamping plant back then. My guess would be no, same parts.

RDUKW

Steve Syros told me the bed is a thicker Gage and is galvanized steel, Is that what you heard as well..?

Most of the automotive sheet metal is galvanized by the mid 80's. Also I would take everything Steve says with a grain of salt as the guy is a professional B.S.er

Ryan

nattieleather

I've seen pictures of the various parts of the assembly line where a CUCV was going down the line and then a civilian truck was right behind it or in front of it. The term Commercial Utility Cargo Vehicle ment that the cost was kept down by purchassing "off the self" vehicles. Ok they weren't quite off the shelf, but darn near. I also know fom the production side of things the CUCVs got a build code just like you'de have a C30 vrs K30 w/wo AC etc etc. It was just another truck on the line and all the comercial parts where the same. So I say BS they are the same beds. Find a nice civy bed and make it green!

GPrez

Well if anyone knows the weight of a civilian unit you can compare it that way with regard to the gauge of metal used. I am fairly certain they are identical so my vote is "not true"

I do have a M101 trailer that is made of galvanized steel though. The other two I have are not. The paint is flaking off the galvanized one real bad. It's the only one I have ever seen like it.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would guess since the only difference would be some civi boxes had fuel doors on both sides . They all came down the same line at flint truck and bus and were most likely stamped at flint metal fab . Even if the government did spec it out different , with the crap GM was rolling out of the plants they would throw anything they had on it that fit.
these were built at the same time they started sticking chevy motors in oldsmobiles without anyone knowing until they had problems.

BTC70

I have been looking at civilian donor trucks for the bed . . . and passenger door, windows, mirrors, seat, interior door panels . . . and air conditioning (and clutch pedal and shift lever for a future NV4500 conversion). It's just that in my search, I encountered a guy who said the beds were made of different metal and was looking to find out if it's true. I don't know, but there could be several explanations. The metal could be different in all 3/4 and 1-tons versus the 1/2 tons. Maybe the thick CARC paint does make the beds heavier and SEEM like they're thicker metal. I've read that the tooling for body parts at that time was much heavier than it is today, so I don't think that something like 5-10% thicker metal would be a problem.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have been looking at civilian donor trucks for the bed . . . and passenger door, windows, mirrors, seat, interior door panels . . . and air conditioning (and clutch pedal and shift lever for a future NV4500 conversion). It's just that in my search, I encountered a guy who said the beds were made of different metal and was looking to find out if it's true. I don't know, but there could be several explanations. The metal could be different in all 3/4 and 1-tons versus the 1/2 tons. Maybe the thick CARC paint does make the beds heavier and SEEM like they're thicker metal. I've read that the tooling for body parts at that time was much heavier than it is today, so I don't think that something like 5-10% thicker metal would be a problem.
The only thing different in body parts is the cab floor between 2 and 4 wheel drive , The 1/2 ,3/4, and 1 tons all used the same sheet metal including replaceable bed sides that bolt-on in the front and weld-on in the rear.

Jersey4x4

Can I say it?

Look in the TM

The TM has the NSN which comes back to a GM Part number which is the same as a Civy C10 2wd truck so I would have to say they are the same. I would be sure for all the trucks with single fuel tank and long bed and probably the same for the dualy, they just added the fenders. LMC Has bolt on quarters for under $400.00 I have been looking for a civy bed in good shape with dual tanks as I want to add the second 20 gal tank and the 40 gal tank from the suburban in the back where the spare tire goes but have had no real luck finding one not rusted or smashed.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks