• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trying to find posting on LED taillights

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If OD Iron or Trucklite put them on sale for 30 bucks we could post that up couldn't we?
I assure you Trucklite would not be selling Grote products.. Thats like a Ford Dealer selling Chevy's. They are competitors.. But Trucklite was first to market by a few years with the LED lights..

I do prefer the Trucklites over the Grotes, but thats just personal preference.

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, Doghead had the answer to my post. I thought it was clear, but I guess I wasn't.
I bought a set of the new LED tail lights to go on my M720 dolly set so that I can pull it without
having to change bulbs when I pull it from the M1008 or the M54A2.

If it doesn't work off the bat, I'll try using a load resistor as suggested.
Thanks to everyone for the help,
Bruce

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are several ways to "fix" that issue. cheap
And you'll be the 1st guy I ask if it doesn't work.

It probably will, I have good luck like that sometimes. I'm hoping the rears are so bright they light up my historical plate.

:-D

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I assure you Trucklite would not be selling Grote products.. Thats like a Ford Dealer selling Chevy's. They are competitors.. But Trucklite was first to market by a few years with the LED lights..

I do prefer the Trucklites over the Grotes, but thats just personal preference.
Um, yeah, anyway. Trying to make a point, let's not be nit picky. :cool:

I bought a Mini Cooper from a GMC dealership once.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think you'll be fine as is, Firefox... next time I see the Trucklite and Grote military sales guys at a tradeshow, I'll ask what the deal is with that, and see if there is updated info.

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought a Mini Cooper from a GMC dealership once.
I suppose, in todays "kinder, gentler" military, it's ok to admit that with no recourse.

After your recent run in with the law, you were gaining a "Rebel without a cause" aura with me. Not no more...:|

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I suppose, in todays "kinder, gentler" military, it's ok to admit that with no recourse.

After your recent run in with the law, you were gaining a "Rebel without a cause" aura with me. Not no more...:|
It got good gas milage and I have a 75 mile comute. It also would go into any corner without the need to slow down. In the end when gas hit 4 bucks a gallon I traded it and my Suburban for my 2500HD and joined a vanpool so I ride to work for free.

You would be amazed how much personal attention you get when you're the ONLY guy in the dealership and you're buying a 2500HD crewcab with fuel prices over 4 bucks. I did my best but they still went bankrupt.

I'm looking at a 3500HD crewcab as a retirement present. Assuming I manage to actually get a "real" job after I retire.

Lex_Ordo

The original Grote LEDs did not have a load resister built into the light, and what happened was the flasher unit could not read the signal that was being produced by the turn signal control when activated. There simply was not enough amps drawn by the LEDs to cause the flasher unit to react.

It was found when used with the flasher control that AM General, was installing into the HMMWVs.

Grote came out with a HMMWV retro-fit kit that addressed this after it was discovered.
When I was restoring my duece, I met with a Grote Rep, at the Mid America Truck Show in Louiville, KY.
He explained this to me, and told me that the kit came with a B/out Headlight, two front turn/marker lights and two taillights. He also said that any one of the lights by themselves had enough resistance to operate the simulated load needed to "trick" the flasher unit.

You will need to contact Grote, in order to get the resistance module that goes inside the light housing. This will correct the condition.

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We need to add more rules, one of which should read Mods are not permitted to use discression (SP). Perhaps this will make folks happy.