• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trying to Import a APC OT-64, need advice

12BMatt

I am looking at purchasing and importing a Russian OT-64 APC with turret. I wanted to know the full extent and or who i need to contact to help me get it to a very nice home here in North Carolina.
Any adice would be appreciated.aua

BiffJ

The OT64 isn't really Russian, its Czech. Its kind of neat but you really need to look one over in person and see it run before deciding its what you really want. We had a look at them on the trip to CZ to look at T72's and weren't that impressed. The mechanics told us ( through sign language and other means) that the mechanical parts of the vehicle could be a real handful. BTR60's are Russian and are pretty cool, mechanically simpler and do have a pretty high neatness ratio as well. Dave may have a line on one of those....

Frank

12BMatt

I was trying to decide between the 2, and well of course I had to go with the cheaper one. I hope that "buyer beware" or "Murphy's Law" bite me in the rear end.
I have talked with Augdog and he is giving me some good intel.
THX

12BMatt

I know, but the OT64 loads from the back & it's "cheaper"! However you gentleman know better than I of course. CRAP. Ok now it's getting hard to decide. THX

M1031CMT

I know, but the OT64 loads from the back & it's "cheaper"! However you gentleman know better than I of course. CRAP. Ok now it's getting hard to decide. THX
Its not hard. Just buy one of each.

Problem solved. Problem staying solved.

:doghead:

USSR

My friends have made tourist option BTR 60 - was cut out a side door , both in BTR 80)))

L1A1

Somethings to consider, If you are going for an 8X8 vehicle make sure if you're not going over there to actually look at it/ drive it in person (recommended), that you see (moving) video of the vehicle both running & driving. Pay attention to the steering as with any 8X8 it is complicated and can be a PIA to fix.

Not sure about the dimentions of the OT64 but I know a BTR60 is around 10ft wide which makes it too wide to run on most American roads w/o a "wide load" permit. Dave Uhrig had an OT-64 for sale on his site a while ago which was 'State side. Not sure if it sold, but you may try contacting him for the owner's info. Buying one already here may be more expensive in the short term but will save you a lot of hassle in the long run.

My above advice about the steering came for an 8X8 owner on here who was giving advise to a potential new 8X8 owner. I think the OT64 owner who had his vehicle for sale on Dave's site ( www.armyjeeps.net) is/was a member on here.

My 2cents worth, Always like the old Soviet BTRs with my two favorites being the BTR 50 (open topped-nice for summer motoring) & the BTR 70. Something about the Soviet 8X8s that just looked "right" if that makes any sense.

If I haven't said it already, good luck with your purchase and I'm jelious :drool: 8).
Regards,
Matt

L1A1

Another item I forgot to mention in case no one already has is that you will need to fill out a BATFE form 6 which is permission to import an AFV. Another importer of E. Block equipment is located in the UK. Think they go by the name www.russiantruck.co.uk

BTR 50s may be hard to find & expensive but I still like them ;-).
Matt

USSR

Another item I forgot to mention in case no one already has is that you will need to fill out a BATFE form 6 which is permission to import an AFV. Another importer of E. Block equipment is located in the UK. Think they go by the name www.russiantruck.co.uk

BTR 50s may be hard to find & expensive but I still like them ;-).
Matt
Yes, is cool)

Attachments

USSR

Very nice as I don't swim..... I forgot that the "BTR=50" was a full tracked APC. Here's a link to an image of what I thought was the BTR-50 was..
http://dayerses.com/data_images/posts/gaz-btr-60/gaz-btr-60-06.jpg
Like I posted earlier, open top for summer motoring... and artillery air bursts...
Matt

PTS is swim)
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCXru85VrNg&feature=related[/media]
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5F5KCqh-ho[/media]

USSR

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I could watch those USSR vidoes for ever, one just leads to another and another, some realy great GREEN iron

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks