• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trying to keep my CUCV alive (fuel tank help)

rsl0311usmc

So I got another one for you all. Yesterday when I was cleaning some salt off my k1500 while parked next to my cucv I smelled diesel fuel. So I began checking over the good ol cucv only to find a nice steady drip from the bottom of the fuel tank. Now you all have been extremely helpful in me keeping this truck on the road so I need some more help with things. I am wondering if this 20 gallon tank will fit and if I should just put a new sending unit in it while I am at it? I am pretty sure everything that's on it now is original (40 years old) and that the tank if I am guessing is a 20 gallon tank. By the way I got the master cylinder and hydroboost all done a few weeks ago and I appreciate everyone's help with that. I feel like I own an old jeep that I keep putting money into lol. I am not complaining the truck is 40 years old and a blast to drive but I sure am finding all the issues from the previous owner letting it sit for so long.
Screenshot_20240123_091619_Chrome.jpg

rsl0311usmc

Also here is pictures of the sending unit I found. Hopefully this is the correct one. It says drivers side and I think ours is three ports?
Screenshot_20240123_093306_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20240123_093058_Chrome.jpg

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Should fit fine. You might need new straps. If the gage works I'd get a new sock for the pickup at the least. The tank will come with a new seal. Get a few feet of new fuel line.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

rsl0311usmc

Should fit fine. You might need new straps. If the gage works I'd get a new sock for the pickup at the least. The tank will come with a new seal. Get a few feet of new fuel line.

OK I appreciate it and the sending unit looks good to you? I see that the new one comes with the sock. I appreciate the heads up on the straps I didn't think of that. But mine are not rusted or anything

rsl0311usmc

I forgot to add the guage seems to work since I fixed it. It just might not be accurate as it stays on full for forever

Barrman

The fuel gauge staying on full a long time is a product of the way GM made the system back then. 3/4 tank is normally around actually 1/2 tank or less fuel in the tank.

I forget which way GM did theirs, but Ford did it the opposite way and their gauges at the time would drop to around 1/4 tank indicated real fast and live above empty for what seemed like forever.

rsl0311usmc

The fuel gauge staying on full a long time is a product of the way GM made the system back then. 3/4 tank is normally around actually 1/2 tank or less fuel in the tank.

I forget which way GM did theirs, but Ford did it the opposite way and their gauges at the time would drop to around 1/4 tank indicated real fast and live above empty for what seemed like forever.
Do you know if it matters on the sending unit if we have 3 or 4 outlets? Sorry if that's a stupid question and I need to check mine later before ordering the sending unit

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not at all. The 4th outlet is for a diesel outlet that isn't for the engine like a heater. Not needed unless you want that. I've had to replace all the straps on the tanks I've done so it's nice to hear you won't have to! My one truck shows full until it hits 10 gallons then goes down from there. When it hits E it is absolutely empty!

rsl0311usmc

Not at all. The 4th outlet is for a diesel outlet that isn't for the engine like a heater. Not needed unless you want that. I've had to replace all the straps on the tanks I've done so it's nice to hear you won't have to! My one truck shows full until it hits 10 gallons then goes down from there. When it hits E it is absolutely empty!

I kinda feel like that's how this truck is with the guage. When it says half I can get maybe 12 gallons in it or so but it definitely drops fast once past full. I will check mine I don't remember seeing 4 outlets and no I just want it all back together and not leaking at this point. I usually daily that truck and don't drive my aev ram 3500, ram 2500 2nd gen swap g56, or even my k1500 5 speed manual 350 lol. The cucv for some reason is probably my all around favorite and I hate when she is down for any amount of time.

rsl0311usmc

OK so I looked at my sending unit and I only see two lines so now I am confused as to what the third does? I think I would use the two outside ones as the incoming and return but what do I do with the middle or did I order the wrong sending unit? Here is the best picture I could get.
20240123_132200.jpg

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The third is for a civi that has a charcoal canister. 2 is all you really need. Just cap it off. That one's been changed at some point. Not a big deal at all. I use both lines that go all the way into the tank...the third one might come with a roll over valve in it or it's short...I cap that one. I like to keep the return line in the fuel.

87cr250r

Depending on the location and extent of the damage, I would also consider an epoxy patch. Cut out the rusty area. If it's on a flat area I would use preformed flat sheets of Garolite G-10 and 3M DP100NS adhesive. Ok a curved surface I would lay up some fiberglass biaxial tape with West System 105 resin. Clean everything to bright shiny metal before bonding. Give yourself lots of surface area for bonding. You will still need to remove the tank as you'll likely need to invert it so that diesel doesn't leak on to your cleaned surfaces before bonding.

rsl0311usmc

I have 3 lines on my fuel tank sending unit. This is how they came from the factory on 2 of my trucks.
One is the supply line to the IP
2nd is the return line from the engine
3rd is capped off and is not used.
OK that third one that's capped off is that the middle one it looks like? I also found this one at autozone I may order it has the two. Do you think it's easier to just get that one? Screenshot_20240123_134842_Chrome.jpg

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 2 hose version will work for your needs. 1 for supply and the other for return.

This is one that I use:
3 outlet sending unit

I add a 2nd tank to the right side of the truck and use the 3rd outlet for transferring fuel from the right side to the left side tank.
The return line remains stock going to the left side tank.
I did that to one of mine as well. A small transfer pump fills up the passenger side pretty quick. I popped the roll over valve off the passenger side since I didn't want that blocking fuel if it ever got stuck.

rsl0311usmc

Yeah mine is leaking pretty bad and a new one has a lifetime warranty for a great price. I really appreciate everyone's help. I got the spectra ordered and it should be here at the end of the month. I also got two new straps and the tank. I figured it's all pretty old and the truck sat for 8 years I might as well replace things for the long haul. When I tackle this job I will be on here posting if I have any issues. I may just post pictures to help others also. Thanks again everyone for the help and quick responses

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah mine is leaking pretty bad and a new one has a lifetime warranty for a great price. I really appreciate everyone's help. I got the spectra ordered and it should be here at the end of the month. I also got two new straps and the tank. I figured it's all pretty old and the truck sat for 8 years I might as well replace things for the long haul. When I tackle this job I will be on here posting if I have any issues. I may just post pictures to help others also. Thanks again everyone for the help and quick responses
I'm fortunate as my local advance stocks the tank...with the discounts it is right at 80$. It's not a hard job since it's empty. One thing I suggest when you do go to bolt the mount brackets on is leave them loose so you can get the frame bolt holes to line up the tighten the tank staps down for good.

rsl0311usmc

I'm fortunate as my local advance stocks the tank...with the discounts it is right at 80$. It's not a hard job since it's empty. One thing I suggest when you do go to bolt the mount brackets on is leave them loose so you can get the frame bolt holes to line up the tighten the tank staps down for good.

OK I think I know were your saying. I am a visual learner only lol. When I get into it if I have any issues I will tag you in the post if that's ok? It does seem really straight forward though when looking at it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks