• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trying to keep my CUCV alive (fuel tank help)

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK I think I know were your saying. I am a visual learner only lol. When I get into it if I have any issues I will tag you in the post if that's ok? It does seem really straight forward though when looking at it.
Just imagine trying to line up both brackets to the frame that have 4 bolts each to go in. With the straps tight it's extremely difficult to do that. So I leave them loose and move them around until all 8 bolts are in the tighten everything down. Makes it a 5 minute deal. I don't bother with a jack either. Prop it up with the knee and go at it. Dang jack just scratches the heck out of it and gets in the way. I get enough new line to hook up when the tank is on the ground then it coils back up when the tank goes back in. Gotta pop the ground wire through the frame hole too. You may need some roofing paper or some tire inner tube for the strap mounts.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

rsl0311usmc

Just imagine trying to line up both brackets to the frame that have 4 bolts each to go in. With the straps tight it's extremely difficult to do that. So I leave them loose and move them around until all 8 bolts are in the tighten everything down. Makes it a 5 minute deal. I don't bother with a jack either. Prop it up with the knee and go at it. Dang jack just scratches the heck out of it and gets in the way. I get enough new line to hook up when the tank is on the ground then it coils back up when the tank goes back in. Gotta pop the ground wire through the frame hole too. You may need some roofing paper or some tire inner tube for the strap mounts.

I see what your saying. I saw the big metal brackets mounted to the truck. So you think it's a good idea to put stuff over the strap to keep it from rubbing ?

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I see what your saying. I saw the big metal brackets mounted to the truck. So you think it's a good idea to put stuff over the strap to keep it from rubbing ?
Stock there's like roofing tar paper between the straps and tank. That stuff can fall apart when you take the old tank out. Might need some. I've used a inner tube as well.

87cr250r

Joist tape sounds like it would be ideal.

cucvrus

I may be a hard labor guy. In the end you would be better off removing the cargo bed to better access that fuel tank and the connections. But do as you wish. I would take full advantage of this situation and go wild doing other needed repairs and restoration work. If it is not your daily driver do it right the first time. Good Luck.

rsl0311usmc

Joist tape sounds like it would be ideal.

I am thinking about ordering that today. I guess it would obviously be a poor decision to not put anything on?

rsl0311usmc

I may be a hard labor guy. In the end you would be better off removing the cargo bed to better access that fuel tank and the connections. But do as you wish. I would take full advantage of this situation and go wild doing other needed repairs and restoration work. If it is not your daily driver do it right the first time. Good Luck.
I was actually thinking about cutting above the tank in the bed and making like a little door to access the pump area in the future. I hate cutting the bed but man it's tight in there

cucvrus

And on the tank straps I use a piece of seat belt. Seat belts are tough and being they are nylon they don't stay wet long. I had a whole roll off seat belt material and used it to pull engines from vehicles. I left it attached to the engines and the next guy that had to handle the engine used it. I made a lot of pull straps with that material.

nyoffroad

And on the tank straps I use a piece of seat belt. Seat belts are tough and being they are nylon they don't stay wet long. I had a whole roll off seat belt material and used it to pull engines from vehicles. I left it attached to the engines and the next guy that had to handle the engine used it. I made a lot of pull straps with that material.
I do something similar, I use old tie down straps from big trucks and trailers, you can find them for free alongside any highway!

rsl0311usmc

Well I got the tank in last night. There were times were it was a struggle lol. Getting the tank out with the metal lines attached wasn't fun by myself. I managed to get the tank in and hung by one bolt to reuse the metal line but to be able to get clamps on the rubber hose going to the lift pump. But other than that it wasn't to bad. I will say my old tank was leaking at the lift pump and side. The truck seems to drive way better now also and full actually reads full on F instead of above it. Oh one more thing I might add is if you get new straps be prepared to grind and remove rivets like I had and then run and get nuts and bolts to replace them. I also used joist tape the other member recommended which seems to work very well. I should've took pictures but I honestly forgot and I am not one to usually have a phone on me. Thanks again for all the help

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's great news that you got it all together! One thing I forgot is now that you have a fresh tank you might want to change the box fuel filter now too. Have it all in good shape at one time.

rsl0311usmc

That's great news that you got it all together! One thing I forgot is now that you have a fresh tank you might want to change the box fuel filter now too. Have it all in good shape at one time.

Yeah I thought about that. I went through two box filters when I got it running since it sat forever. Now I got a spin on style filter. This thing is literally on its third fuel filter in probably 3500 miles of me driving it so I am hoping it's ok to leave the one I have on for now till I change the oil again. I will say that the old tank was nasty inside. There was no water or anything but just rust, dirt, and the lift pump was all rusted and wore out looking. The good thing is that it still had a sock on the end but was probably restricted still.

rsl0311usmc

If there was rust there was water...
Oh no you are right on that. The first tank or so I was getting water out pretty easily. It's honestly the reason why I changed a couple of filters in the beginning between the water and mainly because of the cleaner I kept using. I did make sure to check the water separator probably everytime I drove it. Looking back on it now I probably should've dropped the tank to start with. I haven't seen water in months now just little rust specs which explains everything by looking in the tank. The truck is about due for an oil change in a couple of months so it's going to get changed again.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks