• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Turbo Oil Leak

54reo

I would think fuel would have evaporated off of the warm exhaust tubing, but it appears that there is some fuel blown back onto it.

Unless the engine was not run long enough to warm the exhaust.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
I would think fuel would have evaporated off of the warm exhaust tubing, but it appears that there is some fuel blown back onto it.

Unless the engine was not run long enough to warm the exhaust.
This occured after running the motor at 1700ish rpm for about 20 minutes, no load. I had just finished refilling the cooling system after draining. Temp got up to 180 degrees.

Westech

CPL
We had a LHS do the same thing.. if you look at the exhaust manifold you will see some of the same looking stuff... turned out to be soot and water mixed and blue out a leak in the exhaust. Condensation (water) and soot look a lot like oil. I would take the exhaust pipe off and see whats going on in there before I killed the turbo.

Deucelander

FMJ
I also encounter a turbo leak after topping off the water/coolant that i don't remember being there before (Coincidence:roll:). My leak is not as noticeable as yours. I pulled the inlet and outlet tubes off and found the inlet to be clean and dry. The outlet's turbo blades were dry but the inside walls of the turbo housing were wet. Can a shaft seal leak on only one side?

I also noticed wet spots at almost all head gasket tabs. I don't know if they are related, if they are I may have bigger problems.
Let me know what you find if you go to replace the shaft seal. And let me know where you found your gasket kits and seals!!!

Attachments

Deucelander

Westech, Thanks for the info. I agree with the soot and water looking like oil. That was my initial evaluation as well but i wanted to be sure. I feel better now that someone else has encountered this. The truck really hasn't been run in a year or so. this leak appeared after an hour of running around 1200 rpm. Did you make any corrective actions or was it just a matter of condensation in the system?

Westech

CPL
just ran it (after our tech's said it was ok... im not paying for a new engine) and it was good to go. when looking for a oil leak the exhaust will smoke more (not all the time but in some cases) we have a LHS with a bad turbo that will run just fine.. just smoke more and oil leaking from the exhaust.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
This truck is the truck that had the hole in the oil cooler cover and was empty of coolant, it is possible that it was overheated. . . :|

It starts easily and has no strange noises, with good oil pressure.

I am concerned about the amount of oil I am seeing in the exhaust path. . . also it does seem to be burning motor oil, when the motor is reved, or run at speeds above idle I get the distinctive white cloud and the smell you get with a gas engine burning motor oil.

It may just need to be run a bit, but was hoping for some input regarding the photos.

Attachments

Last edited:

tm america

looks like you have some oil getting past the rings-blow by if it was a leaky turbo it would be just on the exhuast pipe side of the turbo oil doesnt run up hill .so it wouldnt be coming from the manifold like that .you may have bad head gaskets.or the rings may be shot or even a cracked piston

scooter01922

Wherever its coming from and whatever it is in those quantities it can't be good. Are you getting any excessive blow by??? If you had that much oil making it past the rings i would expect it to be really heavy at best. I'm with TM, looks like the rings could be crap.

sgtrisk

I'm hoping for the best. . .

So is sgtrisk. . .
You've got that right!!!

For those of you who don't know, this is my "other" truck! :cry: I'm hoping that the shaman of the southwest (and FMJ's tender hands!!) can work magic on it!

I just hope he doesn't break out the tricycle and hand drill again!!! rofl

ENCS_DEI

This looks like wet stacking (unburnt fuel and carbon), which normally happens from running at no load for extended periods of time. I had this problem but to a lesser extent when flushing my radiator, 30 minutes of hard running cleared it right up.

I would pull the discharge piping from the turbo to ensure you have no oil going to the intake and it would let you know if you need to change the turbo immediately.

Lube oil consumption especially at idle may increase due to the fact that the top two compression rings are of a Keystone design. these rings will seat during load and release when unloaded to prevent carbon buildup, that is why the engine should be raised above 1200 rpm if idling for an extended period to help the rings keep seated.

Of course this is just a start, with overheating suspected there may be something more serious.

Russ

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks more like slobber to me too! I'd get a passenger to ride and monitor exhaust smoke and go out and run the crap out of it, get that sucker hot. If you are blowing oil out of the turbo, the smoke will be significant!

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No load running probally won't get the turbo past 400 deg. I''d pull the intake hose off of the turbo and push the shaft tward the block to see if it is rubbing. If it isn't then i'd pull the turbo outlet elbow loose and see if there is oil leaking in to the charge air. If not, I'd run it under a good load for at least 15 minutes. It will smoke like crazy untill the turbine side ring seal gets hot enough to seal of again.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks