• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

turn up the fuel....

kennys@wi.rr.com

Kenny I am sure I could find some time if you need help.... Do you have a pyro? You MUST have one if you play with the fuel settings.

Getting one, and whenever you may have a chance. I'm in no real rush at the moment, winter is comming and I don't think I'll be using the truck too much, or in need of anymore power, over the next couple months.

I will have to go and take a much closer look at mine to see if I can spot anything that looks close to the pictures I've seen.

JDToumanian

My fuel is turned ALL THE WAY UP! ....I didn't do it, it came from the government that way. When I got it I was surprised how "good" it ran... 55 up hills and such. Will Wagner suggested a pyro after witnessing the power for himself, and after I installed it I was shocked how hot the engine ran. (It would peg the 1,600 degree gauge if I didn't back off!).

I'm going to be turning my fuel down. I like having the power available, but this much is kinda ridiculous... The pyro makes me back off anyway, so I'd like to turn it down to near where the pyro "recommends."

Jon

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My fuel is turned ALL THE WAY UP! ....I didn't do it, it came from the government that way. When I got it I was surprised how "good" it ran... 55 up hills and such. Will Wagner suggested a pyro after witnessing the power for himself, and after I installed it I was shocked how hot the engine ran. (It would peg the 1,600 degree gauge if I didn't back off!).

I'm going to be turning my fuel down. I like having the power available, but this much is kinda ridiculous... The pyro makes me back off anyway, so I'd like to turn it down to near where the pyro "recommends."

Jon
I bet you 5 bucks it ain't all the way. Why turn it down you have pyro inless you lost your feet and you drive with a rock on the fuel peddel.

Last edited:

JDToumanian

I bet you 5 bucks it ain't all the way.
Well, okay.... It's as far as you can go and still get the little cover back on. The cover touches the end of the stud with the two nuts on it.

The reason I want to turn it down is that it gets too hot too quickly. I'm WAY beyond where most deuce owners turn their fuel to and are satisfied. There's no need for the kind of power my truck produces, it's not even possible to utilize it's full power safely.... The egt goes over 1200 in only a few seconds. Lots of black smoke! I'm not drag racing or trying to set any 0-55 records... and I want my whistler to keep on whistlin'.

Also, I'm on my third transmission. Swapping them out isn't difficult but I'm still getting sick of it!

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can tell if it is all the way up when the fuel control lever that works the coller hits the screw that holds the lever in the HH. They do run good when turned up a little but run silly when all the way up. :)

tm america

i just got done putting a new engine in my truck.Seemed to run ok .. but then i realized i couldnt go over 40?wtf?i changed the filters,adjusted the valves still nothing.So i turned the fuel up..I did it on the last motor i turned it till i could just start seeing black smoke at full throttle.. This time i couldn't see any smoke ?I ended up going about 1.5 turns wow.No smoke but wow it is crazy fast..Maybe no smoke cuz it s cool outside? i know i'm gonna have to turn it down. I'm getting around 20psi boost out of a c turbo..20 psi out of a c turbo feels alot faster than 25 out of a lds 427 tubro .. but i know i have to be way to much on the egts.I'm gonna set it to where i'm getting 12 psi with the c turbo then switch back to my other turbo..

CORNBINDER

you guys are god! i have read this whole thread and im amayzed and confused,but i feel as if i could turn it up and not have a prob but if i do i will be PMing one of you.lol thansk jake,:not worthy:

rocks512

Pyrometer and Boost Gauge installed

Installed the Auber digital pyrometer with the thermocouple installed pre-turbo. I removed the turbo for the install as not to chance metal shavings to enter the turbo, did not want to chance the engine running method. Installed a cheap boost gauge with the pressure pickup installed in the air intake where there was a threaded plug that was removed. Built a box for the intruments to fit above the steering column.

First test drive before turning the fuel up the temps hit 1057 F and a boost of 7 psi under load. Turned the fuel up 7 flats and underload the temps hit 1200 F to easy so I turned the fuel down 3 flats. The temps now max out at 1180 F and boost about 10.5 psi under load. The temps range between 600 F & 900 F with a boost of about 3 to 5 psi on flat ground and idles at about 360 F.

I really like the fast response and easy to read digital pyrometer and it has a bright LED alarm light that I have set to turn on at 1150 F and off at 1100 F. The cheap boost gauge works great and during install I installed a resistor in series since the gauge light was designed for a 12 volt system. The only thing that I need to do is find a 12 volt red bulb for the gauge.

Thanks to all the great advice on Steel Soldiers for an easy install of this modification for a novice.:razz:

Attachments