• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Two more rescued!!

MilitaryRestoration

sailor, not attacking you...more of the driver himself but just making a note of it especially during the holiday season and when i just came back from seeing a offroad rig on a trailer being pulled by a large size kenworth even all new equipment, but WSP said trailer and truck was very near max load....btw that accident killed three kids a 6month, 3yr, and a 9yr. old., their father and now mother is alone for holidays/life and for no reason what so ever. The driver even admitted to police that he knew he was pretty much at his max load but didn't think it would be that big of a deal...guess he's got some time to think now, in the slammer.... Most guys now days are just getting by with the bare minimum to get the most dollar...sorry if seemed to attack you but wasn't trying to make it sound that way, stuff like that just gets to me because like i said, in the end I get to see the after math. Just something to think about when hiring people. good quote for topic...'Go big, or go home' :)

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had one link let go at the FL rally last year. No amount of prying or beating would get it back on the stud but a well placed highlift jack did. We made several courses with a ratchet strap to hold it in position and I drove it home. Stayed like that for a while but finally got Devilman96 to to a more permenant temporary repair. Now there is a bolt welded to the stud and spanning the link. It can't come off now! Find the Florida Roundup thread for pics, I'm too tired to search for it.

emr

Looks good to me, ive been part of or towed alot,flat, trailer and recovery work, Ive spent alot of time with rigging all kinds of things, that truck had No problem with that load, or the trailer,deuces are just not that heavy they are very decieving to the eye, they did not get pulled over because it looked good going down the road, You had a professional driver and were with in your limits that is all u needed,You did it right. GREAT HAUL! You will remember that haul for ever ..great to see the pics, ... Randy

sailor2000

OK boys... let's take a chill pill... no fighting or the band packs up and goes home...

I'm just happy the beasts are here, I got 'em unloaded and the whole crew still has their fingers and toes, everybody went home safe and happy and no MVs were hurt in the making of this film.

Happy New Year to all!!!

rizzo

Recovry4x4 said:
I had one link let go at the FL rally last year. No amount of prying or beating would get it back on the stud but a well placed highlift jack did. We made several courses with a ratchet strap to hold it in position and I drove it home. Stayed like that for a while but finally got Devilman96 to to a more permenant temporary repair. Now there is a bolt welded to the stud and spanning the link. It can't come off now! Find the Florida Roundup thread for pics, I'm too tired to search for it.
My friend has a 5 ton dump with bolts welded to the stud. Not perfect but if the truck does not get very many road miles can it hurt if the rubber is still in there? One looked like it was loose and the others were welded on as a precaution.

FreightTrain

Banned
well,tripple axle trailers are bad about dragging an axle and pulling tires off the rim in a turn.Those axles are more than likely rated for Well more than what a deuce Curbs at.As for the bending,Why do you think a semi flat bed has a massive amount of upward curve to it?So when it is fully loaded it will flatten out from flex.

sailor2000

sailor2000 said:
Note to self: pack in toolkit saturday- chain, come-a-long, ratchet straps, wood chisel, saws-all, long extension cords and hammer(s).......
And maybe I'll add a couple hole saws as a way to get the old rubber out :wink:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
the old rubber has a metal ring around it, thats what is pressed in, you will find it faster and easer to install a new or rebuilt one/s

Srjeeper

S2000,

Glad you and the 2 new D's made the trip safe, however it was done. :wink:

Good luck with the up coming moves also!! :D

sailor2000

A note from the trucker who brought my new Deuces home for me:

"Doug,

Thank you very much for the comments and recommendation. I very much enjoyed this load, as I mentioned the pictures are going on my website as soon as I get the chance to update. ( I might take one or two of yours if you don't mind as I think you have some better ones than I got with the camara on my phone).

As for the peace of mind of everyone on the forum board. My trailer is all but a big rig. The axles are Dexter axles spread 4ft 'rated' at over 30k lbs and my entire rig is 'rated' for apx 55k lbs, however I only have it registered for 50k lbs. It has a 44'deck making the overall length 53' kingpin to taillight. It is 40' from the kingpin to the center of the rear axle (California max "bridge law"). The trailer has the heaviest duty everything that I could get without getting a "big rig" trailer. It has 22# twin 'I' beams and a "torque tube" running down the center specifically to allow for the "bend" that some of the members were referring to without harming the integrity of the trailer itself. (it is still pulling as straight today as it was the day I got it) A tripple axle would be completely pointless (major overkill) in this situation and would simply cause more problems(tire wear, turning capabilities, fuel mileage, etc)

The load travelled very smoothly down the highway.

My experience as a driver includes heavy haul farm and industrial equipment, much larger in both size and weight; as well as "piggy-back," general flat and dryvan freight, etc. Currently my 'specialty' is oil-field tools and equipment, and I assure you that they (drilling companies, tool companies, etc.) make sure that my rig is entirely safe as I am constantly in and out of active drilling locations and service yards. (I think they check some things closer than DOT!)

Things learned: load the shorter one on the front to put the weight slightly more forward, however as it was, it was not a problem. Safety is always my #1 concern; and if I had any doubts whatsoever, I would have declined the load prior to, or assisted you in making other arrangements. I would never want to put anyones life in danger. The #1 fear among drivers is killing someone, no matter who is at fault. Accidents hurt us all; not to mention the expense of the equipment itself.

Again, thank you very much. I look forward to working with you, and anyone else involved with SteelSoldiers, in the future. Enjoy your "Beasts."

Thank you,

Michael A. Heinz

P.S. Feel free to pass on/post any of this information that you would like. And I am always open to contact from anyone that has questions about transportation that they may need. If I cannot help them directly, I will help them find someone that can."

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does Mr Heinz do long hauling? What distance from his home area is he interested in hauling?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Sounds like Mike will have his hands full from this. Anyone who is "stand-up" enough to send a post like that is top quality.

kinetichotshot

Hello to everyone. I did not find an "Introduction" thread where new members are required to post to introduce themselves, so I figured that this was as good a place as any since this thread has basically introduced me already. (if there is a thread for that please inform me and I will gladly go and introduce myself there)
My name is Michael Heinz (aka: Gator). I am the owner of Kinetic Freight Services, LLC. My company specializes in oil-field and equipment transport throughout Texas and outbound. Having grown up a 'redneck' in the Texas hill country; i am very much a 'truck nut.' I currently do not have any military vehicles, nor any other vehicular projects as my trucking business is taking up all of my time, but I have built many 4X4 play toys and will eventually get back into it. One of my favorite projects was a 1977 J-20, and I have often thought about getting a Unimog if for no other reason than to 'go huntin' in a 'Mercedes.' In the meantime I am more than happy to assist those of you that need to move your toys. Rest assured that safety is my biggest concern, and without reiterating all that has already been said, I do my best to ensure the safety and legality of all of my trucks and loads. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. I will do what I can to address any transportation concerns that you may have. For more information about me or my company please visit my website at www.kineticfreight.com
Happy truckin,
Gator

bottleworks

rizzo said:
I read this thread and it sounded like a few old hens clucking about things they don't know.
Agreed...All on speculation and guesses. I am glad kinetichotshot posted his info. Welcome to the forum kinetichotshot.

kinetichotshot

Thanks for the welcome! I'm not sure how active I will be here ( until I am working on one of my own toys of course) but I found this forum interesting, and since I had such a good introduction already! I figured I may as well join up!
Happy Trucking,
Gator

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks