• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Two new toys unimog 404

Ferretboy

Hello Pohl.....the bed does have 4 crank up hooks ....and the center tube with very large tow bar.....when i got it, it also had a small voltage regulator and wires running back to the bed......there was also a buzzer box under the dash....i think it was a signal device from the "sonder koffer" maybe?

Ferretboy

Hey guys and gals here is what not to do with your unimog......found this photo on the net....i dont know the story but this looks bad to me.......poor old 4 door!!! Hope no one was hurt.1965-mercedes-benz-unimog-1.jpg

Pohl

Hello Pohl.....the bed does have 4 crank up hooks ....and the center tube with very large tow bar.....when i got it, it also had a small voltage regulator and wires running back to the bed......there was also a buzzer box under the dash....i think it was a signal device from the "sonder koffer" maybe?
Now all you need to find is the comm enclosure that goes with it ! The had but one entry point in the rear and an internal Eberspaecher heater on the front wall. Nice unit.

Ferretboy

Thanks Pohl for the cool info...but i think the next owner will have to finish what i started....im just too tired....old....and poor.....ha ha.....

joeblack5

Amazing how many options were available or combinations were made... somehow I get the same vibe as with the ONAN 4 and 5.0CCK generators.. a different schematic and manual for each application.

Finally got the last wheel off, no spider, or at least not at home.
The rear cylinders do not look to bad and use and ordinary 1-1/8 cup, so easy there.

I bought some silicon based caliper grease to help protect against corrosion of the metal piston / cylinder bore. Funny enough in the fine print it mentions to apply this product everywhere in the brake system except on the piston / cylinder bore. ????? false advertising

Some people use brake fluid to lubricate the piston, as I used to do, but the hygroscopic brake fluid combined humidity / water becomes very corrosive. So it seems to be asking for problems on the location where it is most critical.

Today was supposed to be dry but now it rains, would be nice to put it all back together and see how the master cylinder is doing.

tbc
Johan

Ferretboy

Hello johan....glad you didnt find anymore spiders....you dont need those breeding and spreading all over your place...sounds like you are comimg along nicely with the brakes....are you also going to use silicone brake fluid?

joeblack5

Hi Ferretboy, Just came home working on the brakes, The brake hose set for the 404 still has not arrived from Argentina. Glad I modified to more regular parts. So the flex hose to the rear axle was blocked but a mercedes W123 clutch hose is a drop in . It uses different style clips.

I filled with regular DOT3 . Seemed to hold up. Pedal is hard. will see tomorrow if I lost any fluid.
Trying to find the vin number so that I can confirm insurance.
Can not find it in front of the shock tower passenger side front. Maybe more to the rear?
Tomorrow have to start looking into lights and so on.. haha the famous vintage Mercedes fuses. Could have been Lucas.

tbc
JohanIMG_20200518_145234_208.jpg

Ferretboy

Hello...my frame number is stamped just under the right front shock....and on the id tag under the hood...dont know what state you live in but it seems like its getting harder to title mv,s...these days???

joeblack5

Great, I found the frame number and it matches the title , got it insured today. Working thru some electrical glitches. This truck has an original electric fuel pump. Pretty rare so not on the diagram. An hour wire tracing and with help of my oldest daughter when beeping some of the wires found the problem.
Pretty neat having a fuel pump switch an dashboard indicator light.. Starts feeling like an airplane ...
No brake oil on the rims, pedal is still hard.. Going to give it a try tomorrow.

tbc
Johan

Ferretboy

Great you have a titled unimog...i have the orignal german title for mine....but here where i live they will not issue me an ohio title....thats ok...im not going to drive it on a main road and i like keeping the original paper title which i would have to surrender...take care all....David

Guyfang

Staff member
Its a shame we were not allowed to take pictures, when I was on a AFCE Nato inspection team back in the late 80's and early 90's. Moog's were the thing in the German Bundeswehr. I did Nato Air Defence Units. The Bundeswehr had about a million different kinds of vans, cabins, attachments and what ever you can think of, and stuff you can't think of, mounted on the back of Moog's.

Ferretboy

Unimogs must be plentiful in the u.s.a. i wish the owners would wake up and start talking....i love to hear your stories...good luck all...talk to you later

Ferretboy

Hello Guyfang...thats a very cool story....thats what im looking for.....sheltering in place is getting old...keep your stories comming.....

joeblack5

It is alive.. drove it around the block... pretty nice, not harder to steer then my GD240, tight turning radius.
4x4 handle was stuck. some oil and knive blade between the ball and divet got it unstuck. PTO works.

Did anybody talk about the about the knuckle buster between the parking brake and the 4x4 handle. German engineering at its finest. Must have been a huge fight between the engineers and the interior designers..ouch.

Nevertheless, I am excited

More electric fuses to take care of. Driver window fell out of the door (bottom of door is rusted out) Glass did not break so will see what it needs.

joeblack5

Thank you Bob, still a long way to go.. And as soon it is usable then the pressure is off.

I found two items in the bed that I cannot place..IMG_20200521_172333_190.jpgIMG_20200521_171542_172.jpgIMG_20200521_172333_190.jpgIMG_20200521_172333_190.jpgIMG_20200521_171542_172.jpg
Weird. Had to go back and add them again. Sorry about the confusion.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks