• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Two new toys unimog 404

joeblack5

Hi Guy, Hope you are having a good time with some beer.

Getting back on the temperature gauge..

I was a little frustrated that the Unimog does not use a thermo well. That is if you take the temp sensor out then coolant comes out as well.. One argument could be that the sensor responds faster and is a little more accurate because it is in direct contact with the coolant..
For me it is frustrating because without the sensor I cannot refill the coolant and if I plug it then I have to partially drain when I want to put the temp sensor back in..

So decided to modify the adapter plug and make a thermo well out of it.. I had a capped end of the right size stainless tubing.

From there my laziness got the best of me. The original sensor is positioned in a recess in the head. My "solution" had a larger diameter blob on the end and so it did not fit as deep in the head..
As a result I have to make the sensor 1/4 shorter. Not a problem for me but now it is not interchangeable with potential other ...new..unimog sensors.

I can always cut the stub back of... Or cut it of and start again.
here is a pic of my toils.IMG_20200530_211122_276.jpg

Last edited:

Fla Mog

View attachment 796235So I was in need of a truck that can get me thru some swampy area. Found one but the PO had two for sale . so well... Two it was.
They came from California and sat in the desert for 15+years.
Sofar I have removed the sparkplugs and dumped a couple of teaspoons mystery marvel oil in each cylinder.. Then I put them in 6 gear and raised one rear wheel. With a crowbar they both came loose.
Got some batteries and tried the starter with plugs out . On starter the oil pressure gets up to 2-1/2.. The closed cab fire trucks ignition wires are sparking. Did a compression test on both and all 6 show compression although all over the place.

So now I am starting on the fuel system and I find that the fire truck has an in tank electric fuel pump.. I have a factory manual but there is no mention of this pump.
Found some posts about this pump but no details.. Does anybody has a fuel diagram with a factory electric fuel pump?

Thank you.
JohanView attachment 796235
I know a guy in Calf. That has a 404 fire truck that the caught fire, everything behind the cab is in great condition

joeblack5

Today was a busy day removing a dana 60 front axle from my e350 4x4 ambulance before the rest go to the scrapyard..
In that process I removed the doghouse from the e350 (7.3 idi diesel) and reused the heat / noise insulation for the doghouse covers in the 404. Curious if it makes an appreciable difference.IMG_20200531_200642_490.jpgIMG_20200531_200642_490.jpg
IMG_20200531_204753_709.jpgIMG_20200531_204753_709.jpg
This stuff is two layers fiber and aluminum foil. I was able to cut and fold. Replaced the screws for the handle with lo get ones and used washers and but on the inside. Need to do some fitting and then finish the edges with aluminum tape.

TBC
Johan

Guyfang

Staff member
Johan,
Go to the German Ebay. Type Betriebsanleitung Unimog-S in the search block. Look at the whole page. There are more then a few documents for your truck. If you find one you want, tell me. I can buy. That part I can not get cheaper. BUT,I can send it to you for lots less then the shipping cost, in ebay.

joeblack5

Johan,
Go to the German Ebay. Type Betriebsanleitung Unimog-S in the search block. Look at the whole page. There are more then a few documents for your truck. If you find one you want, tell me. I can buy. That part I can not get cheaper. BUT,I can send it to you for lots less then the shipping cost, in ebay.
Guy, Thank you for your help, i will study a little more about the differences with the ones i have.

Ferretboy

When i got my unimog it had a speedometer...a fuel gauge..a temp gauge..an oil pes. gauge..and an hour ometer that was not wired to anything....i guess the last owner just used it to fill the hole in the dash. Very cool you can work on restoring gauges...almost like being a watch maker i guess....

joeblack5

Today no serious work on the mogs..designed a stand to support the loader of the flu419..
Ordered diethyl ether to refill the temp gauge.
Jacked up the front tires to see which one has a flat spot. Could not find it.
My old for parts mb240d had a nice Mercedes emblem on the steering wheel and this mog had lost its ability to honk.

Just needed another tinker project so scrambled up some old stuff and see if fits together.IMG_20200601_204814_102.jpg
The left bung of a 55 gallon drum showed promise.
So on the lathe.. The inner diameter of the steering wheel us 55 MM. This bung was 53 inside so pretty skinny wall left over.
IMG_20200601_211731_994.jpg

Then I needed a new switch.. Oh my... When still in the Netherlands I dated a girl who was an electronic engineer at a medical hospital. She supplied all their junk for me to study.. And so a couple of these switches stayed with me ...even to here in the USA ...30 years later.. Even made in Germany.
IMG_20200602_202310_033.jpg
A complete switch for reference in the top left... The modified one in parts next to the emblem..

Need to make one more plate to fit it all together. Then it should look like this.
Probably add a relay to separate the high current of the horn from the signal switch..no worry I have spares.. Haha.
IMG_20200602_191157_479.jpg

Ferretboy

Hello Guyfang...johan and others....great info and motivation to go out to the garage and work....im pushing 60...and feel it!!!! Its getting hard to keep up with you young guys!!!! Keep up the hobby....great work all of you do.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks