• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Two new toys unimog 404

Ferretboy

It s a great thing to see that someone has a talent to be able to repair parts....i too would chuck them in the scrap bin....power to you mate...

Ferretboy

I was witness to the scrapping of 4 crates of military vehicle parts from canada....long ago....the one i helped unpack was marked 11000 lbs. .....almost all the parts went to a dumpster headed to the dump....such a waste....long story....maybe another time....

Guyfang

Staff member
I was witness to the scrapping of 4 crates of military vehicle parts from canada....long ago....the one i helped unpack was marked 11000 lbs. .....almost all the parts went to a dumpster headed to the dump....such a waste....long story....maybe another time....
Happens all the time. Sometimes good reasons, sometimes not.

joeblack5

It has been awhile..
At BenzWorld I had started a thread about a retrofit Capacitor Discharge Ignition without distributor. This was based on inexpensive CDI modules for ATV and such. The ignition coil pack comes out of a Ford F150 V6 pickup.
Bought an extra CDI module to reverse engineer and destructive test.

Then I tested it with the Ford triple ignition coil setup. That is on one coil (of the three). In the picture it is running at 3600 rpm camshaft so 7200 rpm crankshaft. ( spark plugs left bottom)

IMG_20200616_150332_051.jpg

I milled the bottom out of the potted CDI box so that I could see the backside of the PCB and reconstruct the schematic. With a Dremel I got access to a couple of critical solder joints to take measurements. With a small modification this now runs on 24 volt directly... Tested for an hour at 32 volt and 7200 RPM.
IMG_20200616_171630_014.jpg
Then from an old photocopier I had some optical gates. By chance three. So that worked out. In the scrap bin was an aluminum ring that I modified to hold the three optical sensors.
Instead of going with another distributor I figured to use the old one and leave the points and all in place so that I can switch back to all original in a couple of minutes..... and of course save cost.
The next part is making the vane that actuates the three optical sensors and doing an actual test.

This is of course all proof of concept.

Johan

Ferretboy

When i got my mog it didnt run exactly right....i will bet you i removed and cleaned the carb....oh lets say a hundred times....ill bet....then found a guy with a yard full of old mb cars....bought a distributor complete wires ect....never ran better....i never took the time...or had the brains to figure out what was wrong with the original parts.....you can take the ignition to a more modern level....very interesting....more power to you mate.

joeblack5

Yes this carburetor stuff is a lot of touch and feel.. I am sure mine is just hanging on its last legs...

Did not have a working hood stick.. I assume the one that was on there is not original.. Either way a M8 stainless bolt has resolved the functional part.IMG_20200616_174229_790.jpg

joeblack5

Thank you David, when I got this mog that hood bracket was inverted and it sat on the bracket that holds the air intake. Did not make a whole lot of sense so I flipped it over. There is a really flimsy hood bracket on the driver side. This hood has already some fatique cracks that I need to address.

Last edited:

joeblack5

Thought to not handle heavy equipment today after my running in with a breaker bar. The rotted door from the Mog caught my eye. Keeping momentum is important so here it is.

IMG_20200620_140455_910.jpg
A piece of stainless from a postal office stamping machine up cycled to mog duty. It had one nicely set 90 degree angle.. Cut out what I needed .
IMG_20200620_145002_974.jpg

Inside the door is a reinforcement lip that was rotted away as well.. Could not make that since I do not have a brake. So I decide to make a second angle on the piece I had..that is with a hammer.
IMG_20200620_153108_644.jpg

Some corner and edge modifications and some straightening from my hammering job . Then I tacked it in for a first look.IMG_20200620_170351_997.jpg

About beer time.
TBC
Johan

joeblack5

Hiha, the title came in. She is legal. Still need to fasten the horn. Since this was a civil defense unit there must have been more horn on it but they have disappeared. wiring is still there.
The remaining horn is hanging loose. Anybody has a picture of how it is attached?

Thank you,
Johan

joeblack5

So started driving the Mog a bit around town to get a feel for it. Took her into camp... No road and soggy.. that is why I "needed" one.. Of course after unloading supplies and having a drink she did not want to start. It feels that the coil was pretty hot. 10 minutes later she did fire up. Maybe vapor lock?? Anyhow anybody an idea how hot the ign coil gets? From my gasser days I did not remember coils getting more then luke warm.
This truck has to make it New Holland PA to pick up a FLU frame. Rather not get stuck. Maybe a two day trip?

Thanks
Johan

Ferretboy

Johan ....mate....dont think the coil should be hot....hard start may be a vapor lock.....a hot day? The gas these days may be junk....cause a vapor lock? Im sure there are some experts ready to help.....lol.

joeblack5

I checked my resistor spark coil circuit. With contact on there is about 12 volt at the coil . that is with 24.5 volt battery voltage. So i would call that good.. will throw a spare coil in the cab.

Johan

joeblack5

Looking for a detail picture of the spare wheel mounting. There are 4 u shape rings welded on the bottom of the bed. It looks like they are in the right location for lifting the spare. Is there a pulley system or something like that?

Thank you,

Johan

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks