• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Two prong NATO military slave plug?

treeguy

I think that rchalmers3's explanation fits my situation. My connections have been cleaned and checked. It seems like the dead (low) batteries were blocking the amperage from getting to the starter. Blocking - so low that the donor batteries were trying to feed them and not doing the starter any good. Probably like equalizing the voltage on all four batts. if they were all left to sit long enough. But not fast enough to start the truck. I was thinking of attaching a quick connect (like tow trucks have) directly on the starter +, - to use for jumping which will bypass the batteries and go directly to the important part. Less connections and length of wire. The plug could be mounted right in the wheel well. What would you do?

ichudov

I think that rchalmers3's explanation fits my situation. My connections have been cleaned and checked. It seems like the dead (low) batteries were blocking the amperage from getting to the starter. Blocking - so low that the donor batteries were trying to feed them and not doing the starter any good. Probably like equalizing the voltage on all four batts. if they were all left to sit long enough. But not fast enough to start the truck. I was thinking of attaching a quick connect (like tow trucks have) directly on the starter +, - to use for jumping which will bypass the batteries and go directly to the important part. Less connections and length of wire. The plug could be mounted right in the wheel well. What would you do?
If you have a 24v engine, I would personally recommend to have a 24v charger that can charge your batteries. Then you would not have this problem (assuming that they are not dead/shorted).\

This is what I have, a PP 1104B/G charger. It is awesome.

http://www.liberatedmanuals.com/TM-11-6130-218-24P.pdf

Jones

ichudov, I'm assuming you mean two pins side-by-side but slightly lower than the center line of the plug/socket. The NATO socket has one pin in the center, the outer shell is the other contact.
Are you looking for the plug (cable end) or the receptical (attached to the side of the truck)?

PM me, I may be able to help.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can buy a NATO slave cable with the NATO ends, and then buy two of the adapters a lot cheaper than an original cable with the two pin ends. Personally, I'm converting all my trucks and generators to use the NATO receptacles, but will always travel with at least one adapter in case I need to help someone with the old style.

135gmc

The 2-pin style go back to the Korean war - the circular connevtor is the modern NATO version. If you buy a slave cable, go for the NATO circular connector version - it's what you will see in the future. There is a circular-to-2-pin adapter available, but if you use it, be sure that you install the adapter in the vehicle 2 pin connector correctly - it is only polarized by the pins being slightly offset from the connector centerline, and it's possible to force the adapter into the vehicle connector with reversed polarity - it ain't easy, but it can be done. If you decide to build up a good set of jumper caables, buy the clamps from a welding supply shop, and then use welding cable for the leads. I've used #1 & #2 welding cable for all my sets, and I've never needed anything heavier.

135gmc

Another source for a 24 volt charger is Graingers - they sell a 6-12-24 volt 10 amp charger. I've used one for years and it has always worked 100%.

Strangersolz

I hate to dig up an old thread, but we have a similar problem with our emergency generators

We have 2 MEP003a generators with the 2 prong receptacle. We also have an old HMMWV for parts. Would it be possible to replace the 2 prong receptacle with the NATO receptacle from the HMMWV?

Thanks in advance,

Brandon

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, they are readily available, and most will bolt up on the original holes from the two-prong mount.

Cheers

Guyfang

Staff member
3dAngus;767405[COLOR=#ffff00 said:
]Best to have a two prong, plus adapter too.[/COLOR]

Both are available on ebay but are used.

New ones come available here from time to time if you can be patient. Don't buy the receptacle as it goes on the actual equipment end and is the wrong one you're looking for.

The cables are overpriced right now, IMO. I would wait and buy from a SS member. Or advertise a "WTB" (want to buy) in the classified. Sometimes people are holding and not able to advertise all they have.

Be sure to ask all the right questions if you get a used one. Many of them have arced out once or twice, or have a bit of corrosion, so be careful when buying high powered used electrical cabling.
This is good info. It's always best to have both. You would have better luck if you use a NSN in your browser. There are about 10 different references to any and all NATO plugs and type of attachments in back issues of PS Mag. Also, if someone has an SC or hand receipt for the wrecker, (any model) Fat Albert, (M-88) Number 1 Common Tool kit or any other larger automotive tool kit, there are several different NSNs for several different lengths of NATO cables. There is also NSNs for the cable, (wire) heads and adapters. Make your own.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks