• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Typical cost to recover a deuce?

How much do you guys usually spend to recover a deuce? I'm talking all the spare parts (batteries,belts,fluids, etc). I've come to the conclusion that the buying part is the easy part, and the hard part is getting them home. What kind of MPG could I expect?

papercu

It could cost more than the truck, that is why it is better to buy close to home or at least in the same state, use a wrecker/transport company and get a price before the sale. Then use that to find your max bid price. Wayne

dm22630

Recovering running trucks is MUCH cheaper than non-runners! ;)

Personally, if I were you, I would go preview the trucks that you are looking at before buying them. Pictures look ok....but when you see it in person, it can be completely different.

Keep in mind that a new set of tires will cost you AT LEAST $1000-$1500....so it would make a lot more sense to pay $300-$500 more up front & save a lot more later. Other expensive things are: glass, soft tops, leaking hubs, bad radiators, headlights, signals, etc, etc, etc.

If you are buying & not previewing....then bid assuming that all that stuff needs to be fixed.

As far as mileage goes......10-11mpg w/out a cargo cover on, 8mpg with one on.

Good Luck!

wsucougarx

MPG about 7-10
batteries-goto walmart
belts-around 35 for 2 alt and 1 air compressor
DOT 5 Brake fluid- $30/gallon
diesel-depends on how far
tools- depends on what you have compared to what you need
GL-1 or GL-5MT gear fluid- $60/5 gallon bucket
Rotella-T- $65/5 gallon bucket
Filters-around $90 for all fuel/oil/air

neb4x4

I just got my M35 eight days ago. I drove 150 miles to the place, then drove the duece 150 miles back. I didn't even look at it before-hand, but it was just released from North Dakota military.... Drove great home... I got 10 mpg:-D. Did't figure that was too bad!!!

wsucougarx

You'll be under fire for that link. Best to get it removed before one of the moderators get to it. It's one of the site rules, not to post any pending or active auctions.

tsmall07

DOT 5 Brake fluid- $30/gallon
Where? I just paid $30 for a qt at Napa. I didn't have to use it yet, so I'm going to return it when you list your supplier.

I just recovered 2 trucks and went 460 miles and I got about 9mpg in both. I could have gotten better but I did the first leg of the trip on secondary roads to avoid traffic. Not bad considering...

dm22630

Where? I just paid $30 for a qt at Napa. I didn't have to use it yet, so I'm going to return it when you list your supplier.

I just recovered 2 trucks and went 460 miles and I got about 9mpg in both. I could have gotten better but I did the first leg of the trip on secondary roads to avoid traffic. Not bad considering...

Ebay

I bought 2 gallons for $25-$30 each a few months ago.

papercu

There was some nice ones sold at Patrick Air Force Base last year. And Air Force always have the extra goodies on their trucks. I have a friend at Cocoa beach with some trucks and there are a few dealers in Fl. Wayne

I really want to pick one up from a GL lot myself. To me recovering a deuce and getting it home is like a right of passage. How will I ever learn anything if i just pay someone else to do all the leg work.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks