• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Typical cost to recover a deuce?

If I get into this hobby by buying a truck, I wanna learn as much as I can. I love to tinker, my wife is getting mad at me for constantly messing with our daily drivers. At least with a deuce if it didn't run or sat in pieces for a few days I wouldn't need it.

I guess you gotta learn somehow. I imagine a deuce is pretty forgiving on early shifting due to its torque. I learned to drive a stick on a very old and finicky VW Jetta. Every stick after it has been a breeze. I drive a 5-speed almost everyday. The only time I regret it is when i'm stuck in stop and go traffic.

tsmall07

There should be a diagram on the dash, but the here it is anyway. It surprised me at first, but isn't bad once you get used to it.

R 2 5
1 3 4

You have to push the shifter hard to the left for first and reverse.

From my calculations from the information you guys have given me, it would cost about $6-700 dollars to get it home. That includes the spare parts you guys listed and fuel . That is if nothing catastrophic happens.

tsmall07

No one checked anything on the truck I was picking up, but I did have to have proof of ins. and reg. for the vehicle I was driving on base. You don't need to worry about much of that if you're not going on a full on base.

I don't know how FL works, but I got a couple 3 day trip permits to drive it home. That gave me 6 days total to make the trip.

jrou111

Some things you need to know before picking up a truck from auction:

Alot of the trucks being auctioned are from up north. (rust)

They sometimes have all their fluids drained.

The lot guys don't care if the forklift pokes a hole through a radiator or fuel tank.

Alot of the stuff present at the time of the pictures sometimes walks off or gets broken.

When planning a recovery, plan for the worst and hope for the best. Always have a backup plan too.

That said, I just brought home two deuces yesterday. Ran into some headaches with the trucks and the weather. Thankfully I had a plan B (and a plan C)

I went 120 miles for my recovery and spent about $600 for two trucks. It took way longer than I planned too, 7 hours, which is around 14mph average. :|

I will deffinetly see if I can find someone will to check it out before i pick it up maybe even if I have to pay them. And if I can spare the time and someone will help I will give a good tune up/ once over before driving it home.

lavarok

From my experience, if all goes well; you'd be safe to say $800-1000 and then be happy when it only costs $600! Make sure you consider food, lodging, and time. If your hoping to buy a running truck, buy a trailer or another goodie you can tow back and make the trip more worth while.

cleb

I plan on $800-$1000 to recover a truck (M35A2), and that's only a 140 mile recovery + a $100 ferry ride. Be prepared to spend $2-3k if things go bad and you need a tow. The next/second recovery was cheeper for me as I didn't use everything on the first truck. BE PREPARED. TAKE EVERYTHING. I've seen people show up with nothing less than a craftsman tool set and 10 gallons of diesel. It can be done, but not a good idea in my mind. Check over every single part of the truck (Especially brakes!) before you head out. Some bases do require a trip permit and insurance to get off base, and some won't let you drive them off base. There is a thread on here about someone who had a brake failure (IIRC) and ran into a building on base. Get a trip permit, and insurance from Gulfway, or another collector vehicle insurance co. Technically your current insurance company covers you if you buy a new car, but most companies that insure civy vehicles have a one ton weight limit, so what happenes when you get in an accident with your new 2.5 ton? Best get the right insurance, and know you'll be covered. I have a supplies list, as well as a big checklist to go thru before the truck moves. Let me know if you need more info. There are many lists posted on here as well, just search.

HTH

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks