• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

U.S. Navy Personnel Boat Recov! (Pics)

No.2Diesel

Hi,

Another great recovery!

I want to thank Lex_Ordo, MACSOG, and my brother for helping me get this done. Without their efforts this would not have been accomplished. A big Thank you. :beer:

This would've been a little easier if we had the wrecker operational but it still would've required alot of grunt work anyway.

I was never into powered craft but this one caught my eye due to the stout construction specified by the Navy, its uniqueness and because its diesel powered (Detoit 225hp V-6 with Allison transmission.) We also had visions of Apocolypse Now dancing in our heads. :twisted:

I won this at a town surplus auction for $230 [thumbzup]

I started preparing for the recovery several days in advance. I needed to bring: Steel, wood cribbing, pipe, hand & power tools, chain & rigging stuff, engine-driven welder, oxy-acetylene cart all loaded into the Deuce.

The trailer I'd be using is one I just got a few weeks ago. New decking, paint, reflective tape, brake overhaul, more tie down shackles welded on etc. I didn't want to borrow anyone's boat trailer cuz it'll be sitting for awhile while I work on it. I even attached a pioneer tool rack! I just need to stencil it to finish it off.

The Boat:

This is a 26' Personnel Boat (act. length 26'-6") that was used to transport Officers from ship to shore. Otherwise known as a Captain's Gig. It has a red waterline stripe. If it had a white stripe it would be known as an Admiral's barge. These Personnel Boats came in different sizes up to 40' and came with different cabin/deck layouts.

This particular craft was assigned to the Spruance Class Destroyer USS Peterson DD969. Lt. Comm. Peterson was an Annapolis Graduate who was killed in combat serving in the Navy's Riverine Force in Vietnam. I attached a spec sheet so I don't reiterate all the specs of the boat.

Decoding the number embossed into the transom:

26 = boat length, PE = Personnel, 86 = year of manufacture, 21 = 21st hull

These craft were stock designs that different manufacturers would construct to Navy specs. Navy inspectors would personally oversee the various stages of construction and take core samples etc. This is a no frills vessel and every empty space is filled with foam so it will swamp and not sink. My friend in our military vehicle club has virtually the same boat but has a different cabin layout and has a Cummins 6BT-M

The Recovery:

We departed from home at about 05:30 and arrived out in East Hampton at about 07:15 and got breakfast. Since it was a weekday and after Labor Day, we didn't have to fight major Hamptons summer traffic. Its still pretty busy though.

The whole day felt like the "build-montage" from an episode of the A-Team :smile: And in the end it was great to have the plan come together. Our three main objectives were to:

1.) Jack boat off of existing support and remove existing support

2.) Fabricate stationary cradle and lower boat onto cradle

3.) Secure boat to cradle and drag onto trailer

Viewing the pictures illustrates that all three objectives were carried out with great success. Some didn't think the Deuce would be able to pull it onto the trailer but Mr. Deuce proved them wrong again. Put it in 6x6 and up we go. Some wheel spin occurred but I used finesse when applying power and it worked out great. Went to a local steakhouse on the way home and had some steak and a few liters of Hefeweizen! :beer:

I'll try to answer any questions you have. Enjoy the Pictures!!

Attachments

Last edited:

Lifer

In Memorial
In Memorial
Nice "canoe!" Too bad I don't live on the Mississippi river any more. (Of course, there's always Lake Hartwell, now that it has water in it again. ;) )

datsunaholic

I tried buying one of those once... in fact the very one off my ship (26PE8414) that was on the USS Sacramento. It had a blue stripe... which designated the "Officer's Boat". Some outfit in Arkansas got it via the DRMS auction. Dunno how I would have trailered it if I had gotten it.

I see this one as trim tabs... we didn't, so the thing ran bow-high all the time. No speed demon, but still ran 20+ kts. The engines redline at 2800 RPM so if you get the beast running bear that in mind.

The V-drive is a bear to get to. The engine, not too bad if you REMOVE the gullwing cover. Don't ever dry fire it, that destroys the raw-water impeller and it's a PAIN to get to. We just opened the top on the strainer and stuck a garden hose in it to cradle fire. The 6V53 is a pretty stout engine otherwise.

I worked on the one we had for 3 1/2 years, so I'm pretty familiar with 'em. The knowledge is 13 years stale, though.

No.2Diesel

More Pics

Hi,

Thanks for the kind words. I'm sure it will be lots of fun.

Thank you DatsunMan....Your advice and real-life experience is well received. I'm sure I'll have many engine questions for you in the future.

I need to get a nice big tarp to cover it as well as some descicant packets for the inside. The nice thing is that there is no exposed wood work or upholstery to get nasty. I just want to dry the inside to get the mold out :)

I took some pics of the engine compartment, Builder's data plate, and passenger compt. Its not pretty but will clean up nice. Thrown inside the pass. compt. is a bunch of crap. If you look closely you'll see the air horn and the light mast. I have to purchase some cans of wasp spray before I venture in there.

The engine compt. looks pretty sad but with a little cleaning it will be easy to survey everything.

The coxsan's compt. is pretty bare and alot of the wiring and gauges are missing. This is a project you can sink your teeth into! :razz:

Enjoy the pics!

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks