• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

U.S. Navy Personnel Boat Recov! (Pics)

No.2Diesel

What do you guys think?

GoHot got it right....lots of work...

This is probably the closest thing I'll get to having a PBR or a PT boat. I along with my friends were discussing the idea of turning this into a Vietnam PBR clone due to the similar size and hull shape. Yes there are significant differences like the jet-drive stepped transom, twin 6V53s, etc. But its possible to recreate all the features and structure of a MK II PBR from the waterline up.

This idea grows stronger as I realize there is little that can be done with the existing cabin layout. It has a specific purpose and would be awkward in any other use. I could do battle with the local marinas and yacht clubs doing launch service but that is unlikely.

What do you guys think? The poor man's PBR? A MKII is 33' and a little beamier.

Here are some pics of PBRs in theater and in training in Cali. Enjoy these pics.

Attachments

deuce259

Wow that's a tough one for me. I am nostalgic and a purist but a PBR has a cool factor to it. It's a toss up for me. But if you were going to mod it you might as well open up the berth area to include the controls and you could have a nice weekender cabin cruiser. Seems much easier and family friendly as well. But my purist side says to restore to original specs.

Your boat, your call.

OKCMoparGuy

No.2Diesel, you didn't tell us how much the trailer/boat weighed and how the deuce handled the load.

If you transform her the yuppie crowd up there would think the pirates from somali ventured over. I say go for it!

No.2Diesel

Hi,

Oops forgot weights.......

-Trailer - 6,000lbs.
-Boat - 10,500lbs.
-Steel Cradle - I'm guessing only about 1,250lbs.

-Total towed weight approx. 17,750lbs.
-Stuff in the bed - about 3,000lbs.

Just as Lex stated, It handled it very well with no surprises. The trailer has 12.25" x 4" Shoes actuated by air. Stopping was not an issue. Obviously long hills slowed us down but not to crawl speed. I've always kept my Deuce to its stock fuel setting.

I love my new trailer! :p

------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the input deuce259....Yes it would be alot easier to just get it running, clean it out, fix the blemish's and your on the water....but as okcMoParGuy suggested I would really get a reaction if modified :wink: ....

WarrenD

I agree with Deuce259, I'm more of a purist. I don't like to see things made into something else, especially if there aren't many of them around. Given what you say about the major differences between yours and a true PBR, I'm not sure it would work out. The PBR purists would probably not go for it, might be more rouble than it's worth.
There was a PT Boat hull for sale in Gloucester, MA a few years ago. No engines (though I think I may know someone locally with one) and everything above the deck was homebuilt, but it was something to start with. Point being, if that's what you are looking for, keep looking, there may be some stuff still out there. As for the PBRs, I don't have a clue if they were ever made available as surplus.

Lex_Ordo

Uniflite was the company that produced them for the Navy, and was sold in the 80's to Cris Craft. I understand that there were quite a few on the West Coast after the war, but I don't know if thety are still around.

saddamsnightmare

September 23rd, 2009.

David Pizzoferrato at WeeBee Webbing is restoring a PBR up in Ohio.... I wish him lots of luck and he'll definitely make a statement on the Ohio River. I'd rater stick to Army LT
or ST tugs myself.

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan:-D

Capt Pat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The officers boat isn't that rare, matter of fact, General Propulsion in Long Beach CA and Virginia have several. The best thing to do with it right now besides getting rid of the "squatters" in the cabin is put a dehumidifier in there and close up the boat. Those hulls were known to take on some water in the laminate as they aged. But the price IS A STEAL, really, and even with the work and backloading, you could put it on the market now in "Boats and Harbors" out of Crossville Tenn. or such and make a profit.
They CAN be made to go somewhat faster but it takes some doing. The skipper of the USS Kansas City, AOR-3 and the skipper of the USS Bainbridge, a nuke cruiser decided off the Coast of Viet Nam to have a "Gig Race" after they got stateside, Long Beach to Catalina Is. Loser pays for all for both crews. The race was close, but you'd be surprised what a 'speed prop' will do on that boat. The 6-V-53 is easy to secure parts for as well.
Converting it to a PBR mock-up would be a real shame. There are a couple of those boats out there. Again General Propulsion has at least one. They also have a couple of the "Nasty" class PTF's built by Trumpy for the Navy to use in Viet Nam. These are mahogany planked with a fibreglas sandwich construction. Napier Deltic diesels, main gun, 40 MM aft. A licensed design out of Norway. I think a "River or Coastal Squadron" Museum group in Great Lakes Ill. got one for restoration.
WE've just taken delivery of three LCM-8 (landing craft mechanized, mark 8) 74 foot boats to be used for US Naval Sea Cadet training on Lake Erie. Nice boats, and seems the Navy has decided they need to go the way of the PT boats. They kept a couple for causeway work on maritime preposition ships. But these are aluminum and will be preserved as original by our military history group. We also have custody of an ex-World War Two "L" type Mine Distribution Box Boat. It looks like a tug, but doesn't tow like one. But makes a great training platform for the cadets, and occasionally serves as a pirate ship, mounting seven black powder cannon and two mortars. at Put in Bay, Ohio. In a running "gun battle" with the brig "Niagara" out of Erie, the "Mighty Jessie" won.

No.2Diesel

Hi,

Boat trailers don't appear out of thin air. Ala kazam!!! Poof! A boat trailer just when I need it! :p This recovery did not take place at a boatyard or marina nor could I even afford to purchase one. You make do with what you have.

Answering a question with a question: Let's say I did have a boat trailer. How would you transfer a boat sitting on the ground, to a trailer without the use of a crane, travelift, (or any type of overhead lifting device) and without damaging it? hmmm......

Right now a cradle is the best thing cuz I can work on it, its stable, and I don't have to worry about flat tires, another trailer to register, etc. I'll have plenty of time to look for a trailer I'm sure.

Thank you MACSOG for all your efforts.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi,

Boat trailers don't appear out of thin air. Ala kazam!!! Poof! A boat trailer just when I need it! :p This recovery did not take place at a boatyard or marina nor could I even afford to purchase one. You make do with what you have.

Answering a question with a question: Let's say I did have a boat trailer. How would you transfer a boat sitting on the ground, to a trailer without the use of a crane, travelift, (or any type of overhead lifting device) and without damaging it? hmmm......

Right now a cradle is the best thing cuz I can work on it, its stable, and I don't have to worry about flat tires, another trailer to register, etc. I'll have plenty of time to look for a trailer I'm sure.

Thank you MACSOG for all your efforts.
Y'all remember the Yacht Recovery in the classic movie: KELLY's HEROES ? A great show for MV lovers - and as I recall, the yacht was towed away on a flat-trailer by a tracked MV... I'll have to re-watch it myself for a refresher!

:grd::driver::driver::driver::driver:And DO WHAT YA GOTTA DO!!!

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrats on the recovery and nice looking boat!

I agree with Capt Pat, get you a dehumidifier and seal the boat up and let it run - for a week or so. Might want to rig up a bigger catch basin as the normal dehumids have a small tank for the water. Let the thing run until you get almost no water per day.

You might get with General Propulsion or look in Boats and Harbours for a starting point for parts. I know that GP is in the business to make money but they might cut you some slack knowing that you are going to refurbish. Converting to a PBR look alike would not look right.

Nice rig/cradle for salvage, Ive seen and helped in a few boat recoveries. As you said, boat trailers dont just show up when you need them or for the price you want. On the plus side, the cradle will allow you to work on the bottom pretty easy, easier than a boat trailer.

All that naval bronze makes me drool!! :razz: Then again, I am crazy about boats!:cookoo:

Good Luck and :grd:

No.2Diesel

Haha..... I forgot about Kelly's Heroes...That was an M4 or M5 High speed tractor towing that big Fruehaf tank trailer trailer w/dolly converter.

Thanks for the comments and advice about part sources. The PBR thing is just something I've been tossing around.

I've been slowly gathering info about the 6V53 Detroit. Apparently it has a very high power to weight ratio and is easily hot rodded if needed. I'm learning all about the engine's design, fuel rack adjustments, injector sizes etc. Its fun learning something new. All the old truckers I talk to say great things and have fond memories about em. My next mission is to get a set of engine and marine tranny manuals.

MACSOG

It is great to get such detailed feed back of info and opinions. I know whatever No.2Diesel desides to do with this boat may it be a full original resoration or a mock PBR rehab, all of his projects are with class and complete with full detail in every aspect. My vote is for a PBR that's just me. A Navy Launch is ho-hum. A PBR is a turn head kick ass boat. It would be a great tribute to all the Nam Vets that served.:rant::driver:.......MACSOG

No.2Diesel

Hey,

I was thinking the same thing.....Its hard to do anything with the current layout....Unless your in the launch/marina biz which I ain't...

I'm sure whatever happens it'll be fun...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks