• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Uh, oh! Anti-freeze In the Oil

Cycletek

Machine shop did all that to the heads when they magna fluxed. They felt heads are good and don't even need to be machined down. I saw him check the surface with a big steel straight edge. He had motor heads all over the place so I feel confident in his evaluation. I will check block surface tomorrow.
The guys across from me are the "guru's" of the car that cannot be fixed, most of them Honda's with continuous head gasket and overheat issues. They almost always have to surface the block to eliminate the repeat problem. I know this is a completely different motor, but the possibility exist that your heads cannot conform to the service of the non flat block, being made from a less compliant material than the Honda motor. Plus being a multi-head design distortion is more probable than a single surface connection.........could be BS, but hey it is all that, till we find something wrong.....

Bad Karma

You could be having a "reed valve" situation where it holds in one direction and lets pass the coolant in the other direction which leads me in the directing of a head gasket that is drawing in at a negative pressure or a steady state more than it is blowing in the coolant side of things. How quickly does it overheat or does it just run hotter than normal?
Truck does not overheat. Quit the opposite. It runs cool. Takes almost 20 min for the temp to hit 190 and never goes higher then that.

Bad Karma

I'm looking at the picture you posted. What part is that?
It is the inside of the oil cooler. We think this is where the problem is. Had the actual cooler pressure tested today and its good. One of the quarter size, red O rings looks a little like it could be letting coolant get by and into the oil.

Heavysteven

Any idea why my deuce has a pressure relief valve on the oil cooler? Looked at TMs and all I see here is either a plug or drain valve.
That's for taking samples of oil. Take the cover off (blue cap). Start the motor, put a can under it, and open the valve (1/4 turn spring loaded). Oil will come out.

G-Force

I hate to pee in your Cheerios but you have a cracked block. Most likely behind one of the liners. Drop the pan and pressurize the cooling system and let it sit for a while if you don't see anything right away. Oh...and start looking for another engine.

Bad Karma

I hate to pee in your Cheerios but you have a cracked block. Most likely behind one of the liners. Drop the pan and pressurize the cooling system and let it sit for a while if you don't see anything right away. Oh...and start looking for another engine.
Well that sucks :(

FASTNOVA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't, but he has posted his number here a hundred times 760 964 5123 or we can try sweet talking that man with all the MV's sitting on Santa Fe rd before they become scrap.

Bad Karma

I don't, but he has posted his number here a hundred times 760 964 5123 or we can try sweet talking that man with all the MV's sitting on Santa Fe rd before they become scrap.
I don't think the guy from Ecology likes money. I told him to just have guys show up with tools. Cash and carry. That's what I'd do. One of the trucks had a niiiiice motor. Hate to see it melted down. Guys name is Rick 760-275-0576. Give it a shot. BTW there are more 5 tons then deuces ;-)

dabtl

Mine turned out to be a cracked head. In the valve pockets behind the valve.

A new head from TNJ Murray solved the problem. None since.

Bad Karma

Mine turned out to be a cracked head. In the valve pockets behind the valve.

A new head from TNJ Murray solved the problem. None since.
Wish mine was too. I had the heads magna fluxed and no cracks found. Had the entire motor scoped. No obvious cracks found. They looked behind the sleeves. We are going to pressure test after its all back together to verify it is the block.

dabtl

Keep everyone posted on this. No one knows what goes wrong on these engines. The military just pulled them out and replaced them. The rebuild facility just rebuilt them without telling the operators what was wrong.

We learn here from experience. I pulled my heads three times before finally figuring it out.