• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ultimate 5 ton tractor

Csm Davis

Okay going to cross a M928A2 and a M818 and or a M35 maybe. Going to double the cab 809 front cab 939 second cab, 8.3L cummins, 809 or m35 front cap, 5 speed or more manual transmission, 936 wrecker transfer and pumps, and winches, 45,000 winch in the headache rack. This just a jump off point. Feel free to throw in ideas, I might use them.

Csm Davis

Worried about how flexy the frame rails will be? Sounds pretty sweet though.
Xlwb trucks are reinforced like a wrecker
So a crewcab tractor with winches. Will you have removable gen pole setup out back?
Yeah I am going to use the boom legs off of a wrecker and store them along the frame, also going to make feet for them to to use as land anchors /chocks and maybe tow bar. Going to have to work on the last one a bit.

Drop it off at my house when you're done. Sounds like a good idea.
Uh no. I will make you one though, for a small fee.

red

Between the Spicer 6453 trans and the T1138 tcase you will have a .56 overdrive ratio, giving you a low rpm at 60-65mph with either 11" s or 395's, right around 1800. Depending on your power requirements you might want to consider a compound turbo setup

Csm Davis

Between the Spicer 6453 trans and the T1138 tcase you will have a .56 overdrive ratio, giving you a low rpm at 60-65mph with either 11" s or 395's, right around 1800. Depending on your power requirements you might want to consider a compound turbo setup
Thanks for that I wasn't sure what the ratio was going to be but now my question is why the compound turbos are needed, only want around 400 HP, I would think that with a intercooler and tuning that should be a easy number to achieve?

JohnnyBM931A2

Sweet.. That should be one interesting (and very long) tractor :) Admittedly I had to look up what the M928 was... I was having a brain fart, and couldn't manage to figure out that it was an M927 w/winch.. lol.

Csm Davis

Sweet.. That should be one interesting (and very long) tractor :) Admittedly I had to look up what the M928 was... I was having a brain fart, and couldn't manage to figure out that it was an M927 w/winch.. lol.
Probably going to leave the rear axles in the stock location and cut of extra bit of frame, but I had thought about moving them to the rear but that would not be worth the extra work.

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Probably going to leave the rear axles in the stock location and cut of extra bit of frame, but I had thought about moving them to the rear but that would not be worth the extra work.
Instaed of moving the rear boggy rearward, how about simply adding another axle, with air bags and 3 or 4 link.

red

Thanks for that I wasn't sure what the ratio was going to be but now my question is why the compound turbos are needed, only want around 400 HP, I would think that with a intercooler and tuning that should be a easy number to achieve?
The compound turbo setup would provide you with boost at lower rpm's, providing more torque down low when your cruising without sending the EGT's through the roof.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Jeff,
I have a set of mk15 spades if your interested, I used my long boom support polls for BARTS spade tubes with a set of mk15 spades, I had to bush the spade tube socket 3/8 using 3/16 wall thickness pipe for a better fit of the tubes.

Csm Davis

Awww... :( That's too bad. Several members on here have done it. That would give you an extra 2 tires for traction, and an extra axle for greater load capacity/weight distribution. Plus it just looks cool 8)
This is not being built to off road or carry huge loads, the extra axle would increase the scrub when turning decrease fuel mileage and just suck more horse power from the truck. Also traction shouldn't be a problem with the lockers in the rears, possibly even a interlock and different gearing.
Primarily it will be used to pull my van trailer/camper to rallies, and my M871 for parades. It will see some dirt and mud but I have other trucks to offroad.

Last edited:

Gunner0311

What sort of things are you planning to tow? You might reconsider the twin turbo, depending how much weight to will have out back...

Better to have have more power and not need it, than need it and not have it! I always wanted to do the crew cab conversion.:driver:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks