• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ultimate well nut repair

rcamacho

I did my pick up with the tank mounted in the genset. I hogged out the aluminum at the nipple with a dremel. Didnt need to take it apart at all.
Wish i knew you were thinking of doing it the hard way, we could have given you tips for an easier job.
I should take the time to relieve the sheet metal before re-installation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dav5

I wasn't looking for "cheap" when I called the company. I just didn't want to get hosed on the shipping. I asked for a shipping quote for 3 fittings and was quoted 3 times the shipping for one fitting. I said thanks but no thanks.

Dave926

I just used the washer that came with it. It looked like an aluminum washer with a copper plating on it. I put it in a vise and used a step bit to get the hole big enough for the well nut. I was Leary’s of galvanized since we think that the coating is coming off when exposed to the fuel.

You can get the filler neck off without taking the top of the sheet metal housing off. I used two different sizes of hemostats to hold the nut from the back.

Dave926

And the bent coat hanger shaped like an L worked great getting the new well nut into the drain hole. It had a 14mm slot in the top to hold it in place while you tightened it.

I thought I was going to have to wrestle a vice grip in the tank from the filler hole.

hyderind

802a. I couldn't bring myself to fix junk with junk, not on my machine. Maybe a grass cutter.Nitrile or not those things are doomed. This even comes with a viton o-ring. Here is the permanent fix. $10.99 + S/H
You do need to remove the fuel filler so you can get your arm in the tank. I was going to fish it in with a small piece of cable but I decided I wanted the tank spic and span. Fishing it through would be tough but on a bet I could pull it off.
Here is what you need.
http://www.plastic-mart.com/product/10047/arlington-10897
And a 3/4 inch washer , perfect fit no modifications required.
View attachment 696717
It is a tight fit on the inside radius of the tank but it proved to be no problem. Enjoy
Great Post . Ordered the parts today.

Newbie questions.

Why did you add a washer between the tank and the nut?

What torque did you tighten nut to?

Do I need Blue lock tight on the nut?

Is that teflon tape I see on the threads?

Thanks!

Chris

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The shipping IS outrageous on what the part is, but has anyone actually priced out shipping costs on items these days? If there was interest in a group buy, maybe we can drum up something better.

hyderind

The shipping IS outrageous on what the part is, but has anyone actually priced out shipping costs on items these days? If there was interest in a group buy, maybe we can drum up something better.
Ordered two today for $11.44 shipping from usplastic.com of the 1/4" Brass Bulkhead Fitting (Includes Viton O-Ring). Aside from free, that is about as cheap as I've seen.

SamE0717

I ordered from Plastic-Mart last week, $18 shipping for 8 after live chatting with customer service. Not the all time cheapest shipping but no complaints for me at $18 when ordering 8 Brass Bulkhead Fittings.

Last edited:

Hard Head

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I ordered from Plastic-Mart last week, $18 shipping for 8 after living chatting with customer service. Not the all time cheapest shipping but no complaints for me at $18 when ordering 8 well nuts.
I get great service from these folks! I purchased 50 from them again this year. Installed 10 bulkheads Monday on 5 80X's. I made up a few pull wires using concrete reinforcement tie wire that I use. I also add a stainless oil drain pipe to hose barb adapter while I am at it. I will never use a well nut again! I have a couple bags of well nuts left over. Not sure what I will do with them.

Last edited:

SamE0717

I get great service from these folks! I purchased 50 from them again this year. Installed 10 bulkheads Monday on 5 80X's. I made up a few pull wires using concrete reinforcement tie wire that I use. I also add a stainless oil drain pipe to hose barb adapter while I am at it. I will never use a well nut again! I have a couple bags of well nuts left over. Not sure what I will do with them.
I agree their customer service was great! I'd love an explanation on your install process, sounds like you have lots of practice!!

Hard Head

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I install bulkheads every day in rain barrels for my wife's store. We buy them by the hundreds. Same technique. Concrete wire with a loop on the bottom to prevent the bulkhead from coming off the wire. Use Permatex 80631 thread sealant with PTFE on your fuel tank bulkheads since it is fuel resistant. I quit using Teflon tape since little pieces can break off and make their way to an injector.

Last edited:

Mallard67

Hey All, I just wanted to say a big thanks to all on this site/thread on this important fix. I ended up having to replace my rotted well nuts with the bulkhead fittings just as specified here with no leaks afterward... what a huge relief! I also replaced the old rusted fuel level sender at the same time which gave me access to the bottom fitting with relative ease. I don’t think anyone mentioned it here, but with the fuel level sender out, you can actually take out the fuel drain hose, thread the an fitting and bulkhead to the hose with sealant, and then pass the pre-assembled hose/fitting down into the tank via the fuel level sender hole and back out the drain hole on the bottom with the bulkhead fitting already attached to it. You can then just pull on the hose from the inside of the set to snug up the bulkhead fitting on the inside of the tank. Made it insanely easy and I can’t see doing it any other way. I used a KUS USA 5.5” sender, 33-240 ohms with same bolt pattern and good for 24V. Thanks again to everyone with their input on this topic!

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks