• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Unidentified carcass

OLDCHEV4X4

I saw this remnant of a truck a couple months ago, and finally remembered the camera. Its huge! Dirt71's truck has 1400-24 tires. This thing has 1800-29 tires. Looks to be the back half only. The Garwood winch is just sitting there.

Attachments

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like it might possibly be remnants of one of those behemoth logging trucks used in Canada. A Pacific or Hayes, Mack, maybe...I don't know for sure, but a good guess.

Stan Leschert

Could be a Pacific, but I want a closer shot of the green thing in the back of the last pic. If we really have to know, I can ask a few of the old guys (loggers) up here as to what the carnage was originally.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lots of torch cuts and bolts, wondering if it's someones fab work. Plantaries indicate maybe a lowspeed rig. Green rig looks like M816

Capt Pat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The green thing in ther back looks to be a 5 ton wrecker, you can make out the bed shape and the side mounted hydraulic tank. But what else is hiding in that woods is the real question????:???:

OLDCHEV4X4

The green thing in ther back looks to be a 5 ton wrecker, you can make out the bed shape and the side mounted hydraulic tank. But what else is hiding in that woods is the real question????:???:
It is a M816 wrecker ..in the back ground.
I've been in this junk yard several times and they clean house and scrap everything every couple years. So if there is something in the bushes, it is a recent acquisition.
I was going to ask about the carcass, but they were closed. I will try to catch them during the week.

Last edited:

Dodge man

If that's an 816 then that's a 45,000 lb Winch and it's also a capstan! And it's also chain driven so it would be easy to hook up.

I'd love to have something like that but it's a little too large for my M37. Somebody should grab that and put it on their Deuce or 5-ton!

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Stan,

I researched heavy logging trucks from Canada last night. Looked at many pics...especially Pacifics. I could not match the axles or the planetary hubs to anything. Pacific made a whole slew of these monster trucks to include the monster chain-driven M26. They are beautiful trucks:drool:. I'm going to try and remember to take a look at another military reference I have at the house this evening.

Last edited:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's a monster whatever it is/was
I wouldn't be surprised if it was something like this. Even though this is a Pacific, other companies manufactures beasts like this as well.
To bad its all cut up.
Love the sign on the front of that rig that says "ABNORMAL" instead of the usual "OVERSIZE".

As for the axle set:
I have no idea what id came off of, but I'm sure glad it got "castrated" from the rest of the carcass and won't want to mate with anything any of us own. rofl

On the otherhand, us MV archeologists would love to see the rest of the skeleton to help identify the beast.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
are we sure those are planitary hubs on that? usually there is somewhere to check the oil on them on the outside and i dont see anything. not saying its not a planitary, just saying.:roll:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks