• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Unidentified carcass

Condec

Sorry NOT Hayes or Pacific We have BD91,000lb and then the heavier BD121,000 rear diffs as well as some of the heavier SPR (Rockwell 137) as seen in the picture of one of Dennis Childs Ultra Pacifics(Abnormal) in South Africa The Rockwell 137 now cost 2000 bucks for a brake drum because there none around and to cast them the manufacturer wants a comitment of 50 drums to do a run so needless to say we are parting some trucks out to keep others running just like Dennis did in Soth Africa. Although Pacific Truck and Trailer was a truck builder up here they were never part of the M26 Pacific built in Seattle during the war as a matter of fact Pacific never started till 1947 here The M26 was built by Pacific Car and Foundry (PACCAR) same people that own Kenworth and Peterbilt as well as many other companies

Condec

MyothersanM1 Yes Dennis is a friend of mine and he has done an ecellent job of restoring those trucks Originally built in north Vancouver BC there was I think 6 trucks all capable of being coupled together They were painted red when new. After many years of service they became cost prohibitive so Dennis started a rebuild program and now painted white you see what the outcome is As for the diffs in the picture I wonder if in fact they are not a set off cut-offs from one of the US Army snow crawlers or land trains Bastard size tires would indicate that these were special use tires not just run of the mill standard ones If I get a chance I will ask Don Chew in Brighton Colorado because he is writing a book all about these huge units. Maybe if there is a member down there close he could ask Don but if not I will. If you look at the pic of the frame insert I thinkthat maybe it is aluminum blocks used as spacers. See the small chunk broke out of the right hand side It sure looks like electrolisis . What happens is with a steel frame and aluminum crossmembers the aluminum will over time start to disintigrate and the residue on the rail looks like just that

xm708

carcass

I looked through crimsons wheeled vehicles last night and there was only two trucks with those looking tires one was the artic train and one was another monster truck which also had a big garwood recovery winch I will look at it again tonight.

xm708

carcass

Definately not the artic train I just saw a pic of that thing and those tires are about 8 foot tall !!

xm708

carcass update

Found it !! It is a proto type 25 ton tank hauler. It was an extremely rare truck only two were made. It was designated the T29e1and it had a 1649 cubic inch ford v-12. It had two garwood model 7g winch. The trucks were delivered in 1949. the other truck was the T35 model. There is a long write up on page 385 of fred crimsons wheeled vehicles and a picture which I will try to load before I get the worthless without pics thing !!

Last edited:

xm708

carcass

pretty sure it was one of the rare two ever made the tires match and the bolt holes all along the top of the frame match with the picture as well. I am glad I saved my poor little dumper as there were only 200 made !! I wonder where the rest of the truck is or was ? It said it was very heavy guess that is why it was scrapped..

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I DO NOT think it is a T29/T35, it states that it was CHAIN DRIVE, LOOK at the first pics, it is not chain drive but shows differentials with power divider, and the rear hubs dont match , the tires match ?????

IT is a T35E1, timkin bogie rears with 18.00x29 tires, the t35 had 18.00x25 tires,( supposed to be 18.00x25), ONLY one was BUILT

Last edited:

xm708

carcass

I agree it is the t35e1 in my hasty posting I put the wrong model. But heck like they sa in the government close enough for government work.

03silverado

Im no equipment expert but by looking at those axles the hubs remind me of the type of axles found on big front end loaders looks like it wasn't designed for speed:lost:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks