• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Upcoming road trip: Ft. Riley, KS to Florida Keys

gerrykan

I found a tow company about 15 min away that is going to go get the truck and move it to their yard
If you receive good service from them, you should post their info for others that may need assistance getting a truck from that location.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
If you have problems around KC let me know, I should be home Sunday. I was out at Riley today but do not have anywhere close to stash the truck till Sunday. I'm 2 hours by car east of there.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
If you want some advice from a former long haul trucker I would take the southern most route you have marked on that map.
You will hit a lot less mountains.
If you make it on that time line you are one tough hombre.
If it has the 250 Cummins in it make sure you have hearing protection.

Last edited:

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
:ditto: I used to travel the route you have mapped to the GA rally and last year took the other route into NE Arkansas to Memphis it was much nicer and took overall 30mins longer. From MS on it's a gentle down hill slide to Atlanta. Plus no going down through bob sled run/mountain pass in southern Tn / North Ga.

belmor

Thanks for the advice! I drove truck for 7 years but didn't run that route much, good idea to cut across. Do you guys think that the southern route still has good access to services (roadside service, tire, etc)? Looks like it is a lot less interstate, which is fine since the truck will only go 55 anyway. The map program figures it out at the speed limit-I am figuring 33-35 hours total drive time.

belmor

Baby steps.

The truck is off Ft. Riley and at the towing storage lot. Glen made me an great deal on a set of bed sides and troop seats. The driver said the truck drove good, no issues from the base to their yard. I fly in Sunday at 10:35 and the tow company is going to pick me up at the airport and take me to the truck.

Definitely taking the Southern route home.

I my next update will probably be from the road-hopefully on it and not next to it LOL.

~B~

belmor

Flew in fine, got to the truck. Could NOT get it jumped off. Spent 2+ hours replacing batteries and it still would not start. Worked on it another hour before finding the manual engine shutdown tripped on the engine (was pushed in in the cab). Got it running and stopped all along the way to Kansas City trying to find air for the low tires. Finally found a trucker with the glad hand air chuck. While airing tires found oil running down the frame and dripping on ground. That was a loose filter on the passenger side. Tightened that up now I am in Advance Auto parts off 435 charging my phone before temping this again.

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Flew in fine, got to the truck. Could NOT get it jumped off. Spent 2+ hours replacing batteries and it still would not start. Worked on it another hour before finding the manual engine shutdown tripped on the engine (was pushed in in the cab). Got it running and stopped all along the way to Kansas City trying to find air for the low tires. Finally found a trucker with the glad hand air chuck. While airing tires found oil running down the frame and dripping on ground. That was a loose filter on the passenger side. Tightened that up now I am in Advance Auto parts off 435 charging my phone before temping this again.

Stay safe!! Good eye on the filter...one of those mobile phone chargers might be a good investment. Praying that "Murphy" is now occupied elsewhere!! Keep us informed.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good luck. Many of todays jump boxes have USB plugs, might be worth having for your phone.

belmor

While I was waiting to charge my phone at Advance Auto a lady came in who does aircraft upholstery. GO didn't mention that the entire top was unsewn from the part that holds it in the front-thus blowing off going down the road. We took the truck to her shop and she took the top off, fixed it and put top back on for $20. Much better ride now but delayed me big time. Right now I am in Joplin, MO about to catch some zzz' before heading out again in a few hours.

belmor

I am considering leaving the truck in Louisiana at family's and flying home Tuesday, then go back and get it later when I can take more time. I have 1400 miles to go and HAVE to be at work at 0900 Weds. That's not leaving much margin for error.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks