• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Updated pg #5; I now own a 1990 M923A2.

SirKen

Looks like you guys were correct. The rim did fit over the hub, tight fit, but with a little back and forth, I managed to change the tire.

Must have been my frustration level on the first try that got in my way.

SirKen

Making progress, oil filters and oil changed, large air filter under cab replaced, pressure washing the entire vehicle for prep for color change to camo/woodland paint scheme, completely wire wheeled and de-greased the entire bed and have rolled on bed liner. Long way to go but I am in no hurry.

Attachments

SirKen

Moving forward with the color change. 3" wire cup brush in the angle grinder is slow and back breaking but I know the paint will stick when I'm done.

Got tired of the water always pooling on the canvas top and made some temporary bows out of PVC to tighten up the top.

Attachments

SirKen

Would someone please tell me what size socket I will need to remove the tire from the axle?

Also, what size socket to remove the two halves of the rim so I can replace the O-ring?

dawico

I believe the lug nuts take a 1 1/2" socket and the bolts in the rim take a 1 1/8" socket.

They are all very tight. On mine the nuts holding the rim together were real bears to break loose. I broke two 1/2" ratchets trying to get them loose. Finding a deep 1 1/8" 3/4" drive socket may be difficult. I ended up using a deep impact socket, pipe wrench, and 4' breaker bar to get them free.

Last edited:

Another Ahab

They are all very tight. On mine the nuts holding the rim together were real bears to break loose. I broke two 1/2" ratchets trying to get them loose. Finding a deep 1 1/8" 3/4" drive socket may be difficult. I ended up using a deep impact socket, pipe wrench, and 4' breaker bar to get them free.
Ouch. That hurt$.

SirKen

I've broken one socket trying to loosen the rim half bolts. Cheap sockets to begin with; off to Sears for some impact sockets.

Thanks for the info just the same.

dmetalmiki

Congratulations on a very nice looking truck. Whilst you are shopping, Treat yourself to an air impact wrench. You wont regret it, and it should work ok from your emrgeancy glad on the rear of your truck (the red one).

infidel got me

Congratulations on a very nice looking truck. Whilst you are shopping, Treat yourself to an air impact wrench. You wont regret it, and it should work ok from your emrgeancy glad on the rear of your truck (the red one).
Better get a 1 inch drive air gun.

I broke 2 sockets with my 1/2 inch drive, got the 1 inch drive and problem solved.

SirKen

Well, I can safely say that it is more green than tan now. Can't believe how hard it is to cover such a light color, I'm at 3 coats in some places and have used 5 gallons of slightly thinned paint.

Forgot who said it earlier but he was right, it's not a sprint... more of a marathon (or something like that). Still waiting on Tallahassee Florida to give me my tag but at least I have it titled in my name now.

Attachments

SirKen

Still have some tan parts to paint underneath; not to mention a camo pattern to apply... but I'm really enjoying this truck.

Tallahassee has cashed my check for my tag transfer but the last time I ran my VIN, it still doesn't show up with a tag number yet. Since I have the tag already, as soon as the State of Florida recognizes my permanent tag registration, I'm headed out for a long drive... hopefully without issues.

Attachments

SirKen

I would have put money on DHSMV coming through today and my permanent license plate arriving in the mail.

I would have lost money on that bet.

Used the time working on my camo and bumper numbering. Really looked into and planned out what my bumper numbers would mean; since they were going to be so accurate.

Turns out, I own the truck and I can put whatever I want on the bumper; 56 LVS 70 (my work ID and my wife's work ID). Scored points with the Mrs. there.

Attachments

SirKen

20150703_104144.jpg20150703_144605.jpg

My wife was kind enough to buy me 4 new Goodyear 14.00 R20 for the rear axles for father's day. Local tire shop installed one and said to come pick up the truck... they gave up. I brought it home and installed the other three by myself in the garage... without any of their fancy pneumatic equipment. Took me a week to get them on the rim and installed on the truck but at least I know everything is new, clean, and painted inside. No leaks and I got my CTIS on line and working again in the process.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks