• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

updated pics of my hemtt restoration

M1075

dma251 said:
by the way...

If anyone sees a hemtt battery box lid somewhere, I sure could use it. The one I fabricated up before won't clear the new bed, so I am going to try to find a stock one before I make another.

Here's what they look like -
Did you the see this one on GL? Will it work for your application?

Attachments

jimbo*

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was gonna suggeest he get with someone who is already set up with GL, and have them buy on his behalf. The learning curve with GL can be steep at times, especially when it comes to EUC's and home office personnel.

dma251

I had a little adventure the other day while driving the hemtt. I was trucking down the highway at about 60 mph when all of a sudden the driver's windshield collapsed in on me and folded over the steering wheel splintering little sliver's of glass all over the interior and me. Good thing I was wearing my trusty Ray-Bans, or I might have gotten a bunch of it in my eyes... I was a little stunned and didn't immediately know if I had hit something, or something had hit me, or why the steering was so heavy and felt unresponsive.... I soon realized it was because part of the windshield was resting on the top of the steering wheel preventing it from moving. I was able to lift it up an steer down the road about a half mile before I found a bus stop I could pull over into. Here's the ironic thing - I have a 10 ton truck with a completely empty 18' x 8' cargo bed, but nowhere to stash the broken windshield! It wouldn't fit in the passenger area, and I had no ties or straps to secure it on the bed.... It's now resides in a ditch along hwy 530.... I saved the rubber seal obviously to use again. The worst part besides almost wrecking the truck and killing myself and possibly others, is that I had to drive it home with no windshield feeling like a fool!

So here's what happened - it was installer error... I failed to realize that just the locking rubber gasket wasn't enough to hold the glass in when it was pushing against all that wind. Especially up in the top where the visor traps air... That's where it pushed in first. Turns out it is critical to use Urethane windshield seatant on the body side groove of the gasket, and clear silicone on the glass side before you zip it up. I went to see my buddies at the glass shop and they used my pass. side windshield section to cut me two new windshields out of 50% grey safety laminated glass jsut like the rear quarter windows.

I know what you're thinking, but trust me, it's not dark at all. It's just enough to cut the glare and help keep the inside a little cooler.

The hemtt windshields are so big, and they angle back letting the sun turn the inside into an oven...

You can still see out at night just fine. In fact at night you can't hardly tell the difference except the halo's and glare from streetlights and headlights isn't nearly as bad. Check out the pics.

Attachments

Flea

Jeeze! Glad you're ok. Yeah, I'd say those windows are pushing a lot of air out of the way at 60.

Truck's looking awesome! Hurry up and get that white front painted! :)

dma251

Flea said:
Truck's looking awesome! Hurry up and get that white front painted! :)
I've got it set up. I'm taking it back in for sandblasting on Monday the 25th, and will spend Tuesday masking it all off and getting ready to paint on Wednesday and Thursday.

I've got a buddy from the other side of the state who manages an industrial paint shop coming over to help me shoot it. The paint all the big wind turbines and heavy industrial equipment, so I guess he'll know how to do it right.

I'm so excited to get it all one color!!! (I'll do the black and brown camo parts in the week to follow.)

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad you were able to keep the truck under control.
Seems like they have a fair number of commercial type solutions on that vehicle.
So, which came first, the Oshkosh 8x8 firetrucks or the HEMTT (same design)?

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad you are okay. I had a hood come up into my windshield after an oil change (done at one of those drive thrus) at 70 miles an hour on my Dodge while I was talking on a cell phone.

All I can say is if you can keep her under control and get pulled over you're doing good.

Will the stains come out of the seat or do you have to replace them? ;-)

dma251

I haven't seen any civilian fire trucks trucks made by Oshkosh that didn't look like they started out life first as a military truck. There was the one on Ebay the other day that definitely seemed to be based on a LVS, but I haven't seen any from the factory civilian hemtt's. Can someone post some pics?

We have Oshkosh flightline crash trucks at work, and the old ones are from the mid-late 80's. They are nothing like a hemtt. We also have Oshkosh Striker crash trucks, and they are more similar in appearance, but still seem to have major design differences. (the engine is almost always in the rear of the truck).

They do sound like Detroit 8v92ta's though. Love that sound!

Attachments

BobS

dma251 said:
I haven't seen any civilian fire trucks trucks made by Oshkosh that didn't look like they started out life first as a military truck. There was the one on Ebay the other day that definitely seemed to be based on a LVS, but I haven't seen any from the factory civilian hemtt's. Can someone post some pics?

We have Oshkosh flightline crash trucks at work, and the old ones are from the mid-late 80's. They are nothing like a hemtt. We also have Oshkosh Striker crash trucks, and they are more similar in appearance, but still seem to have major design differences. (the engine is almost always in the rear of the truck).

They do sound like Detroit 8v92ta's though. Love that sound!
The top 2 are MTVR based, not HEMTT. Note the TAC-4 suspension (used under the MTVR) clearly visible under the front end in the top pic.

Best regards,

Bob

BobS

Elwenil said:
dma251 said:
There was the one on Ebay the other day that definitely seemed to be based on a LVS...
That appear to be, actually, an original MK48, as opposed to the LVS, I believe. The MK48 did not have interchangeable bodies on it, where the LVS did (all IIRC).

hehehe....could be wrong, been wrong before.

Best regards,

Bob