• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

UPFINN's Deuce Build

UPFINN

I have drew up a design for some custom mud flaps. The mud flaps on my truck are looking pretty rough, and I need to paint/decorate them.

My plan is to rough up the flaking carc and coat them with black plasti-dip rubberized paint. I will use tracing paper to transfer the design, then paint it on with paint markers. I was going to use a stencil, but the design is too complicated.

The design is a parody of the iconic trucker girl silhouette. It is a woman dressed in the traditional clothing/gákti of my ancestors; the Sámi people of northern Scandinavia. The words "Cáppa Nieida" mean pretty/sexy girl in Davvisámegiella/North Sámi, and is a rock song by the Norwegian-Sámi heavy joik band Intrigue. Since this truck is used for promoting my Finnish woodworking business, I feel the custom design is fitting.

The lettering is kind of messed up, but I will fix it when I actually put it on the flaps.

12118721_1046403605399461_126632784443542374_n.jpg

UPFINN

Today I sprayed the Al's Liner. I took some sneak peak photos. I will take more tomorrow.

Good product. Dries fast so you need to be quick. Sprays good for 20 minutes, after 20 it can be brushed with streaks. At 1 hour it is too thick too brush.

I does not go as far as the sound deadener. You loose a lot of product stuck in containers and spray gun.

I tried to get a tint that would somewhat match the current paint, however getting the right tint pigment for 383 green was rather expensive and I could not get it locally, and paint shops had a hard time understanding I just needed the pigment. I used a much cheaper tint from Monstaliner called "Jungle Love". Color slide matched the 383 paint, but now that I sprayed the liner the colors do not match at all. Oh well.

The liner has a rubbery bumpy texture. I'm sure it will get harder as it cures.

IMG_0336.jpgIMG_0337.jpgIMG_0338.jpgIMG_0339.jpg

UPFINN

I made a lot of progress on the truck over the past few weeks.

The seats are repainted and reupholstered, paint in cab is completed, canvas shift boots installed, and rear axles are finished.

All that is left now is to bolt the seats in, bolt the heater back on, weld the flange on the new muffler, service the front bearings and brakes, and change the fluids and filters. Should be done later this week. :driver:

Will take pictures soon.

HanksDeuce

The 24 hour cure that you found for Lizard Skin is the time between the 2 different systems that they have (not between coats). If you opt for both systems you spray the sound deadener down first, then wait 24 hours before applying the ceramic insulation.

If you are spraying either system (sound deadener first for example) you do the thumb test between coats. Find a nice hidden spot and press your thumb to the coating. Twist your thumb 90 degrees and lift. If you don't remove the coating then you can apply another coat of that system. I ended up spraying 3-4 coats of sound deadener and like 6 coats of the ceramic insulation. That was with a 2 gallon pail of each.

Keep up the good work!

UPFINN

The 24 hour cure that you found for Lizard Skin is the time between the 2 different systems that they have (not between coats). If you opt for both systems you spray the sound deadener down first, then wait 24 hours before applying the ceramic insulation.

If you are spraying either system (sound deadener first for example) you do the thumb test between coats. Find a nice hidden spot and press your thumb to the coating. Twist your thumb 90 degrees and lift. If you don't remove the coating then you can apply another coat of that system. I ended up spraying 3-4 coats of sound deadener and like 6 coats of the ceramic insulation. That was with a 2 gallon pail of each.

Keep up the good work!
I had to wait a few days to let the latex dry. It was cold out, so I put some box fans in the cab and round fans in the engine bay. Had a bit of a scare with one of the fans and good thing I was there to catch it. I had clamped a fan to the block near the injector pump and fuel lines and when I plugged it in the motor burned out and shorted. Good thing it did not start a vehicle fire. :burn:

UPFINN

Everything on the truck is complete, except for painting the front drums and wheels, changing oil and filters, and addressing the wrong size hoses I used on the water manifolds. I used hoses that were 1 3/4" instead of 1 5/8".

P1130638.jpgP1130777.jpgP1130651.jpgP1130649.jpgP1130646.jpgP1130645.jpgP1130643.jpgP1130642.jpgP1130639.jpgP1130778.jpg

UPFINN

More photos of the redone cab and my muffler install.

The muffler is the walker 21470. I had a turbo flange welded to the bottom to secure it to the stock flange, with a rain cap on top. Very easy bolt on design.

Cab and engine bay are lined with Al's Liner over Heat and Noise reducer. I still need to do one more coat of liner next summer. I might do a lighter green. Took two gallons of H&R and two gallons of Al's Liner.

I brought the seat cushions to be fluffed up with new foam then I reupholstered them with jatonkas seat covers. I also installed his shifter boots.

I also have a pretty serious crack in the driver side window from when a branch fell on it during a wind storm. The window glass will need replacing, but it is rusted in. I might have to order a new window frame and glass assembly.

P1130761.jpgP1130775.jpgP1130772.jpgP1130770.jpgP1130769.jpgP1130768.jpgP1130766.jpgP1130763.jpgP1130764.jpgP1130776.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks