• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Upgrade brake switch vs old style switch

toddm

I know for sure that the old style hydraulic switch is faulty. So what do you think, replace it with another switch of the same kind or an upgrade air switch? If I change to the upgrade switch can I just leave in the old switch or does a plug come with the upgrade. Also instructions are helpful, does anyone know if they come with the kit from Saturn? I just got my truck out of storage yesterday and who knows how long I have been without brake lights.

Attachments

vtach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was going to ask almost this same question. I have the newer air switch, but it has gone out. Now I need a new air switch. I was considering changing all of my trucks over to the air switch. Any benefits to air? I was wondering if my slightly leaking air compressor caused my air switch to fail (finding some oil in the drain tank) ?

vtach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does anyone know if a little oil in the air will cause the upgraded air beake switch to fail? I am about to replace mine and don't want to kill another switch.

toddm

I got my upgrade kit from Saturn today and no instructions. Looked at the PS article about install and can't really see how it goes on. Anybody have a instruction sheet so I can install it correctly? Thanks Todd

toddm

Obviously I'm not the only one with this question, I just looked at my truck and the air lines that looked like the ones in the PS mag article are .375 and the fitting in the kit from Saturn is .500.

Last edited:

vtach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just got my 2 kits from Saturn, and no instructions. It does not look like the same switch as the upgraded one that has failed either??? Anyone have that NAPA #?

toddm

I e-mailed Saturn and told of no instructions. I only ordered because I read in a previous post that instructions were included. I really don't want to install this without knowing exactly how it goes on the truck. I still want to be able to stop. Thanks Todd

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
These images should help.

Note: The new switch will only work when the air pressure is up. The old one worked whenever the brake pedal was depressed (hydraulic).
Issue with the old switch may be the pressure rating, should be 3,000 psi minimum....

Attachments

toddm

Thanks for the clear picture cranetruck, it really helped. I went to the hardware store and asked for a .375 compression 90, the guy behind the counter swore it was already a .375 unit. Did I say he was a complete a#$, I then went to Napa and they were very helpful and had exactly what I needed, with no attitude. I guess we all have bad days, but it seems like I always get these guys with attitudes lately. He had to be at least 10 years older than me. Thanks again SS pulls through again. Todd

I'll post pictures when I'm done.

dabtl

Thanks for the clear picture cranetruck, it really helped. I went to the hardware store and asked for a .375 compression 90, the guy behind the counter swore it was already a .375 unit. Did I say he was a complete a#$, I then went to Napa and they were very helpful and had exactly what I needed, with no attitude. I guess we all have bad days, but it seems like I always get these guys with attitudes lately. He had to be at least 10 years older than me. Thanks again SS pulls through again. Todd

I'll post pictures when I'm done.
cranetruck, Bjorn, has more information, useful information, than anyone else on planet Earth.

And, he willingly shares it with us all.

Thanks, again Bjorn. (I may have this phrase committed to memory for frequent posting.)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks