• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

USAF Ground Vehicle Registration Numbers

Barrman

Thanks for posting the manuals and pictures. I am about to redo the 1984 USAF Suburban and needed to know how to put markings on it. I guess it would be a "B"?

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for posting the manuals and pictures. I am about to redo the 1984 USAF Suburban and needed to know how to put markings on it. I guess it would be a "B"?

Most likely a "B" (84B XXXXX), but is there a data plate on it? If there is it should have the entire registration number on it.

Bighurt

Dual Pylon Semi-Trailers for the B1B Lancer mission were marked and are still marked 89XNNNNN. Most likely because these trailers weren't covered by TO 36-1-191 and had there own maintenance manuals 11N-H5202-2.

Also LSV's (Gator, Rhino) are covered under X and Bobcat's purchased before 2009, in 2009 motor-pool began maintenace of Bobcat's and skid steers in general and the new units are designated D.

In general anything marked X isin't maintained by motorpool, generally speaking.

topgun217

I drove an 84 Suburban while stationed at Wright-Patt. The number on that one was "84B1364" I don't see why you couldn't use it as my roomate totalled it along State Rt. 635 just outside the base in a snow storm. The thing had a 454 in it and they gave it to a group of us k-9 handlers to drive.....go figure it got totalled!

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I drove an 84 Suburban while stationed at Wright-Patt. The number on that one was "84B1364" I don't see why you couldn't use it as my roomate totalled it along State Rt. 635 just outside the base in a snow storm. The thing had a 454 in it and they gave it to a group of us k-9 handlers to drive.....go figure it got totalled!

So that's what happened to it!

Just kidding Pete. Would you happen to have any photos of it or others you can share?

Barrman

I have to continue my number sequence already started. My M715 was supposed to be 900513. I messed up the order of the numbers and got 900523. So, my Gasser M35 got 900513. Whistler M35 is 900514. M105 -900515. M105-900516. M101-900517. M1009-900518. All these are already registered legally with these numbers.

The USAF Suburban should be 900519, but I can make it 0519. The picked up this summer M101 will be 900520 and the just gotten last weekend M1009 will be 900521. That leaves me 1 more vehicle to get before I fill in my number block. Unless something really, really great comes along I am thinking the last vehicle will be either a M416 trailer or my ultimate dream, a 5 ton wrecker.

Attached is a picture of the Suburban on a Scout camp out a week ago. Did the big white plates with the numbers go on the front and rear?

I haven't started to work on it yet. At least looks wise. Been driving it and figuring out what all needs mechanical attention.

At least my wife thinks I will be done buying once the number sequence is full.

Attachments

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have to continue my number sequence already started. My M715 was supposed to be 900513. I messed up the order of the numbers and got 900523. So, my Gasser M35 got 900513. Whistler M35 is 900514. M105 -900515. M105-900516. M101-900517. M1009-900518. All these are already registered legally with these numbers.

The USAF Suburban should be 900519, but I can make it 0519. The picked up this summer M101 will be 900520 and the just gotten last weekend M1009 will be 900521. That leaves me 1 more vehicle to get before I fill in my number block. Unless something really, really great comes along I am thinking the last vehicle will be either a M416 trailer or my ultimate dream, a 5 ton wrecker.

Attached is a picture of the Suburban on a Scout camp out a week ago. Did the big white plates with the numbers go on the front and rear?

I haven't started to work on it yet. At least looks wise. Been driving it and figuring out what all needs mechanical attention.

At least my wife thinks I will be done buying once the number sequence is full.

White plates as shown on page 2-27 in TO 36-1-191 go on front and rear. So you can use 84B 00519 or 84B 0519 on the plates and doors. Using either number would be correct.
I used the peel and stick numbers on my truck's plate.
Gotta love those AF trucks, most are in pretty decent shape. Except the ones driven by K-9 handlers.

mutt1966

K would be correct, its used for tactical vehicles how they came up with that is anyones guess, there were 2 MKT field kitchens at the Red Ball Rally in Sept. both marked with X if I remember also marked for Macguire AFB.........................Scott O&O

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The USAF takes great care of it's equipment, My M35A2C is a 1988 model, that was retired due to it meeting it's 18 year service life committment. Only had 4,000 miles or so on it.. And in the passenger seat, a 2 inch thick folder of every single piece of maintaince paperwork that was written about it, starting from the Build order to AMG from the USAF, to the email sending it to DRMO, and every inspection and replaced part. I know we didnt take anywhere as good a care of equipment when I was in the Army.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The USAF takes great care of it's equipment, My M35A2C is a 1988 model, that was retired due to it meeting it's 18 year service life committment. Only had 4,000 miles or so on it.. And in the passenger seat, a 2 inch thick folder of every single piece of maintaince paperwork that was written about it, starting from the Build order to AMG from the USAF, to the email sending it to DRMO, and every inspection and replaced part. I know we didnt take anywhere as good a care of equipment when I was in the Army.
Got the same type of file with my 94 C2500. The entire history from the dealer to the service body installer to turn-in inspection. It has a "C" designation.

RangerBob

Now just find out what N stands for and I will be happy. the hood number on my Jeep is N-1346, it is the original number with no year before it.
Just last week I found another '50s USAF ahh... off-road vehicle ...with the same registration number scheme, but with a 'J-'. See here...

RangerBob

“M” Military construction/base maintenance. This category is apparently the same as the "D" category, but military-specific. While it's listed in the TO, darned if I can find any examples or even a complete description of what may be included in this category. If anyone spots an "M", grab me a picture, will ya?
Holy moley, I think I found an 'M'...maybe sort of. Spotted this dumper in Sachs Harbor, NT today and it seems to have a 'C' AND and 'M' designation. Now sure what to make of it. The standard USAF script on the door shows it as 84C49, but then there is an odd second registration number of 84M07 in the side of the hood. I wonder it they bought it as a plain old 'C' and then almost immediately added some sort of military-specific doodad to elevate it to 'M' status?? This is almost certainly a surplus'd DEW Line vehicle since it's way up here at N72.

I may breach the cab tomorrow and see if any documentation of the category change followed it.

P8300017.jpgP8300016.jpgP8300015.jpg

Last edited:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Holy moley, I think I found an 'M'...maybe sort of. Spotted this dumper in Sachs Harbor, NT today and it seems to have a 'C' AND and 'M' designation. Now sure what to make of it. The standard USAF script on the door shows it as 84C49, but then there is an odd second registration number of 84M07 in the side of the hood. I wonder it they bought it as a plain old 'C' and then almost immediately added some sort of military-specific doodad to elevate it to 'M' status?? This is almost certainly a surplus'd DEW Line vehicle since it's way up here at N72.

I may breach the cab tomorrow and see if any documentation of the category change followed it.

View attachment 448670View attachment 448671View attachment 448672

Two thoughts:
1. Swapped hood or door(s) from another vehicle and didn't care about number accuracy.
or
2. It's in the WITNESS PROTECTION PROGRAM.

Your guess is as good as mine.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I was out at the Ft Riley cannibalization point in the late 90's and borrowed this plate off an AF duce001.jpg I think I will try and remove those numbers and redo it to match my flight line vans 97B02889 registration.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks