• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Used Motor Oil and Reg. Gas

rebel5909

mixing 50/50 takes a min to start when shes below freezing on my truck but runs great when warmed up i have drove her 7000 miles cents i last had any diesel in the tank i thought about putting a small tank on her for diesel so i can start it with diesel and switch it back after i get it started for easier cold starts

rebel5909

i have had all sorts of liquids in my truck all most everything i could think of but never have tried waste cooking oil! ever tried that? how did it work? i have also heard you can run pure automatic transmission fluid and its supposed to fire right up below freezing with no problems

Alredneck

Banned
In TN it doesnt get as cold as your place and have run 100% UMO in Apoc all winter. I have noticed on the coldest mornings it can be a lil harder to start but with good batteries it will come to life. Thats probably low 20s on average for real cold down here. If it gets colder than that then a lil gas may help. 50/50 cant go wrong but you might get away with 80/20 to save some money. I rarely run new fuel and run waste UMO, ATF, HYD oil, the most and hardly ever blend it with anything. Just a good filtering and into the tank!

bottles

I have a 1986 cucv blazer, I was reading the post on mixing UMO with gas and or Diesel. I was wounding it I need to do anything to my blazer befor I try this? Thanks I am a newbe to all this, but love my CUCV

Billy Bobbed

Ive been filtering my UMO thru a paint strainer.I put 5 gallons UMO to 20 gallons of gas or diesel. I have new fuel filters to put on, dont need them yet.Everyones got there own way of filtering.Cutting down on UMO getting cold.Ill what till it warms up.

SUPERSPORT

My Dad is a mechanic at Yellow Freight. Ready to retire.

Anyway... He told me when they do PMs they take the old oil and dump it into the underground diesel tanks. I know they have several kinds of tractors with different engines but they are all regular diesels. Food for thought.

Speaking of food... What about vegetable oil/grease from fastfood places? Is that the kind of vegetable oil you all use in the multi-fuel engines? Can it be used?

My cousin is the manager of 2 McDonalds...

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know these are multi-fuels, but when I was in the Army in the early 70s, we were warned about burning straight MO gas. We were only authorized to use it in an emergency and then if possible to cut it 50% with diesel to prevent damage to the injectors. The only lubrication the injectors get is from the fuel. I would think that mixing UMO with gasoline would greatly increase the lubrication of the injectors and eliminate this as a problem.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One thing I forgot to mention concerning UMO. When I was growing up, we didn't have a lot of money and my Dad took UMO, filtered it, and then used it again, sometimes adding a percentage of new high viscosity oil to bring the viscosity back up. He filtered it slowly, letting it drip through an automobile oil filter with no pressure. It took weeks to filter enough to use. I once took a sample of the UMO, after filtration, and looked at it through a semi-toy microscope I had. I remember seeing shiny metal particles in the oil, obviously very small.

I have never burned UMO in my Deuce and every time I hear about this practice, I remember seeing those small metal particles. I wonder how much wear these particles cause on injectors and the IP?