• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Uses for Deuces

Akicita

Just identified another good use:
Left the house in light rain earlier today. Saw a sparrow fly under the bed and take cover from the rain.
Came back in heavy rain a few minutes ago. Saw same sparrow (or maybe it was the mate of the first one) land under the Deuce and take cover.
Fully expect to find a nest there soon.
I've heard about large campers ... but this is ridiculous !
:-D

Akicita

Went on an extended neighborhood recon mission right after that torrential downpour last night. About 1/3 of the road I live on was under water on each side. Only the center third was still above water. Didn't want to take the car out so I started the Deuce up. Had to try unexpectedly long but eventually she roared to life. Few other vehicles on the roads. Many creeks overflown. Some floodplains under water. The "ducky pond" in the next town has never been so big ... at least not when I looked. Found one car disabled. Driver probably hadn't seen the creek had flooded the road and got his spark plugs wet when he plowed through. He was alright. No problem for the Deuce in all this. Of course, this had not been a necessary trip but it sure was nice to be able to get around and not worry if I might get stuck anywhere. Sorry, guys, no night time pictures.

k4vem4n

Dude, you need a DUKW, not a Deuce!
I've looked for one, no luck, I'll trade my lifted GMC Denali for it :mrgreen:

I think an airboat would fair better in the swamp though....
But I'm going the overpowered mud motor on a gheenoe route :shock:

I like ridiculous and fun over full practicality. If you make it too easy, you lose the fun, and it turns into a job, (I guess the same would be true if it was too hard)
Thats why don't hunt gators with any firearms either, just a homemade harpoon and a bowie knife, just plain adrenaline pumping fun. How else can you get yer heart goin like tackling a gator and wrestling to the death.:evil:
BTW Im not crazy, I just take calculated risks.:cookoo:

paradeduty

Deuce Day Camper

Found a '68 Kaiser Deuce many years ago in excellent condition. Had the long wheelbase and a 17' semi-expandable van body on it for a water purification system (erdilator). Couple of cool things about this truck - the van body has never (that I can tell) been through a "military" restoration. I have seen many, many with what appears to be a horizontal corrugation sheeting added to the exterior for a "resurfacing", but this one still has the smooth sides in excellent condition. The other thing is that this water system seems to have been based possibly on a larger system. I have seen other "water vans" that were shorter than the typical 17' that this is. One other thing is that the entire driver's side of the van body opens up as in the picture whereas I have seen other "water vans" that only had a portion of the driver's side that opened. The "opening side" I believe was originally intended for easier access to the pumping/filtering equipment. The top and bottom halves of this arrangement are very, very similar to the type found on the "expandable" vans usually found on the 5-tons except without the crank-out/fold-out wall extensions. When the side is open, it makes for a really cool "covered porch" for watching car shows, car/truck cruises, you name it. We took out almost all of the water system and put in (2) couches, (4) swivel chairs w/ a round pedestal table, a refrigerator, a microwave, an audio system, some additional interior lighting, have a tv for movies but need to graduate to flat screen someday, a neon sign, some "fallout shelter" designation signs that I got out of an old school sub-basement, etc, etc, etc. She's a slow girl getting there (a real huff and puff with all of the weight of the 17' van) but she does always get there and it's a great time when we do.

Take Care, Dave.

Attachments

otis_14028

Hi Guys. I"m just an old codger That has been lurking in the background, and like you I love this site. I do not own any MV's, but I have driven a few. As a thought has anyone lined the bed of their deuce with a tarp and filled it with water? It does make a nice swimming hole. The first Deuce I ever drove was a pipebed and trailer. The trailer was loaded with dynamite. I was driving for a demolition crew at Belton Lake, Texas. I had to drop a steel net over the charge and get out of the way before they set it off. Their game was to try and blow the net up and back onto my truck before I could get away and clear of the blast. They never succeeded but I did get pelted with rocks on the rag top. Sorry no pictures, that was in 1959. I don't think they had cameras back then.

Welcome to the site! You should throw in a post under the 'Requirements for new members' threads so you can introduce yourself.

And to answer your question about the Deuce as a swimming pool, The first page to this thread has a pic of that being done! :beer:

FMFDOC

Found a '68 Kaiser Deuce many years ago in excellent condition. Had the long wheelbase and a 17' semi-expandable van body on it for a water purification system (erdilator). Couple of cool things about this truck - the van body has never (that I can tell) been through a "military" restoration. I have seen many, many with what appears to be a horizontal corrugation sheeting added to the exterior for a "resurfacing", but this one still has the smooth sides in excellent condition. The other thing is that this water system seems to have been based possibly on a larger system. I have seen other "water vans" that were shorter than the typical 17' that this is. One other thing is that the entire driver's side of the van body opens up as in the picture whereas I have seen other "water vans" that only had a portion of the driver's side that opened. The "opening side" I believe was originally intended for easier access to the pumping/filtering equipment. The top and bottom halves of this arrangement are very, very similar to the type found on the "expandable" vans usually found on the 5-tons except without the crank-out/fold-out wall extensions. When the side is open, it makes for a really cool "covered porch" for watching car shows, car/truck cruises, you name it. We took out almost all of the water system and put in (2) couches, (4) swivel chairs w/ a round pedestal table, a refrigerator, a microwave, an audio system, some additional interior lighting, have a tv for movies but need to graduate to flat screen someday, a neon sign, some "fallout shelter" designation signs that I got out of an old school sub-basement, etc, etc, etc. She's a slow girl getting there (a real huff and puff with all of the weight of the 17' van) but she does always get there and it's a great time when we do.

Take Care, Dave.

With a ceiling fan and a kegerator, you'd be all set. [thumbzup]

Cantregister

So you guys that use yours for hauling, any problems with the bed height? I'm justifying a deuce to the wifey by listing all the wonderful utility it could add to the land (we just moved onto 10 acres) and how it would pay for itself with it's ability to haul big loads like gravel, dirt, trees etc (she already knows it won't but if she could let herself believe it, daddy gets a new toy). Any help in stories of how wonderful these are for utility or any good tag lines that worked well with your better halves would be much appreciated. :cool:

So you guys that use yours for hauling, any problems with the bed height? I'm justifying a deuce to the wifey by listing all the wonderful utility it could add to the land (we just moved onto 10 acres) and how it would pay for itself with it's ability to haul big loads like gravel, dirt, trees etc (she already knows it won't but if she could let herself believe it, daddy gets a new toy). Any help in stories of how wonderful these are for utility or any good tag lines that worked well with your better halves would be much appreciated. :cool:
Buy first, explain later... rofl

One that I used; "But it's camouflage, you won't even see it in the driveway!"

gunboy1656

If you have 10 acres, just take some of it and make you own loading dock and will not have to worry about bed height.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you also believe that an MV won't pay for itself, then your cost perceptions must have a horrible distortion problem.

Just look at the post above - ROCK MOVING - and tell me that hiring that job out wouldn't cost a few hundred bucks. then go through the rest of the USES listed in this thread and compare your estimated savings to the price of an MV..... They are a WONDERFULLY inexpensive, diverse, adaptable, powerful go-anywhere tool to have in your tool box... or to HAUL your tool box :!:

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks