• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

VA Steel Soldiers Rally - Putting it all together!

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Ralley

A lot dropped off due to events like work, etc. that wouldn't have been known until closer to the event. Also, a few folks 2-4 hours away from Hburg were going to come, but I think the price of fuel is causing a lot to back out, and save up more for Aberdeen in May. That's fine, at Rausch Creek in Oct 2007 we had 5 drivers, 5 folks total and had a GREAT time. Sometimes small, intimate events are just as good as big ones.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, did a final looksee at the trails in the rally area this Easter Sunday, my jeep wasn't put back together, so I did it in my Durango. I like my trusty steed, even if she's not green and powered by a 40-yr-old engine, she can still go places most people wouldn't dare go in their SUVs.

Glad I took the time to go, I found a few trails I hadn't seen before, some neat spots that would make for some great offroad testing - including a makeshift mud pit! Also found a few trails shown on the map, but were closed off to driving - guess there have been a few ATV riders or offroaders that have been naughty down in certain areas and they want to prevent any more damage to the trails. Either way, we have plenty of trails to ride on.

Pics below (the first two) are kinda an accident, in that I didn't mean to go down that trail (I thought I was somewhere else on the map). The trail I took a picture of from the driver's seat went straight up the side of a ridge, and was designed for mule (not M274, the real 4-legged type) travel. ATVs had widened it a little, but I got about 2 miles back before I reached some SERIOUS rock ledges, and I didn't want to get stuck so far back a Chinook couldn't extract me, so I had to turn around. The second pic is an old rock cabin that was on this trail. Not sure the story behind it, but it was nice. Unfortunately, I doubt large MVs of the deuce-and-a-half variety would make it back onto this trail. Too many narrow spots with STEEP drop-offs in places.

The last pic is our campsite. Yes, "A River Runs Through It". Very scenic and serene, lots of room to park trucks and setup camping related equipment, relatively flat, and a beautiful view with a mountain stream running right next to the campsite. Enjoy!

Man, I can't WAIT to get back into the woods to go camping and wheeling!

Attachments

bullitt798

..man that looks like some awesome trails. Makes me want to bring my 05 Rubicon.But the M-37 does surprisingingly well to be open diffed so we will be there or be square.LOL

rhinomike

Mike, Is there any room for two riders for two guys who are still waiting on paperwork, My friend ray and I both should be getting our deuces the end of april, we wanted to see some in action while we wait for ours. I'm the mike you met at rousch 07' We would just be down for sat. day only. we are trying to learn as much as we can about our trucks, and what to expect with ours. as well as to meet people close to us with MV.
Mike

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sure thing, Mike! Plenty of passenger's seats to fill, and Saturday we're going to be out on the trails all day long, so that's a good day to go out.

To Mike, and all the others who are attending, I plan on sending out a .doc file via PM explaining all the last minute stuff: what to bring, what to expect, routes to take to get to the meeting place on Friday at 11am, directions to the campsite for those who are arriving on Saturday, contact info, etc. Basically, a one-size-fits-all-covers-all file to answer most of your questions. I hope to send that out Tuesday or Wednesday night, giving plenty of time to prepare for next weekend.

Oh, and...BUMP TO TOP !!! :grd:

HeadWizard

Don't think I can make it, but someone asked about a generator? I've got a 19HP 10kw "portable". You're welcome to use if someone wants to pick it up in Chantilly or Clifton, VA.

Mike, it's late but can you get me a 2X shirt?

Have fun. Don

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not sure we need one THAT big, Don, but thanks for the offer!

I have ordered a few extra shirts, so no problem on the size, Don. Will let you know when they come in.

Also, I have a M332 ammo trailer in good shape that I may tow to the rally. It is for sale, so if anyone is going and wants a solid trailer for a good price, let me know. I can sell for $400 obo. Got GREAT tread on the tires.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not yet - I'm gonna see if a friend of mine in Harrisonburg has a small Powermate or something similar I can borrow. A military genset would be great, but they are LOUD. Will keep everyone informed.

Got the notice today from the T-shirt company that the Steel Soldiers VA rally shirts are entering printing now. The design changed a slight bit due to the processes of the manufacture, here is the final look:

Attachments

Opie

T-shirt design: "The Shop Van That Ate Richmond (and Southside, and...)"

I've been adding convex mirrors, fixing wipers, and searching for the @#$%^ crimping tool so I can have another go at fixing my headlights today.

I've collected a lot of twigs from the yard that I'll be bringing so the campfire starts easily. Oh, and the requisite yellow pages for tinder.

Can't wait!

TheBuggyman

maddawg308 said:
Not yet - I'm gonna see if a friend of mine in Harrisonburg has a small Powermate or something similar I can borrow. A military genset would be great, but they are LOUD. Will keep everyone informed.
:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

Mike,
If you want, I will bring a Honda 3kw genset that is super quiet and has the auto idle down feature that lets it run even quieter if the current draw is low. The unit is pretty much new and reliable. Let me know if you want me to bring it before it gets lifted up on the 813 :!:

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Buggyman - sure! Sounds like a great idea, we don't need a lot of juice to operate things around the campsite, so a 3KW will be more than enough. Thanks for the offer!

Also, for everyone - I will be sending out a .doc file that covers all the convoy information, contact numbers, campsite information, basically everything that you all will need to know to get to the rally point, etc. I wanted to get this out earlier, but I have been pretty busy with family matters this past weekend. Gotta get them out of the way, so that way next weekend is free!

Only 5 days to go guys, GET STOKED!

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just checked the weather report for the weekend.

Friday: 40% chance of T-storms, high of 65, low of 48
Saturday: 30% chance of a few showers, high of 66, low of 48
Sunday: partly cloudy, high of 66, low of 45

SO, bring your wet weather gear in case the weather is wet, cuz' it's RAIN OR SHINE! The weather reports are always a little liberal in terms of how much they estimate it to rain, I suppose most of the weekend will be fair, some clouds, passing showers, but no monsoons or anything. T-storms in Virginia are hard, fast, and clear out after an hour or so, so nothing big-time.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay, have to do another update. This is the updated, final final final list of those who are going and have let me know what's up. IF THERE ARE ANY PROBLEMS such as you are not on the list of those going, or you need to make an update, please PM me or post here.

Coming to the rally whole trip:
-------------------------------------
L1A1, 1 guest, Dodge Dakota
MadDawg308, M35A2
Opie, 1 guest, M109A3
TheBuggyman, 1 guest, M813
M215, 1 guest, M813 w/M105 trailer

Not sure if going (schedule conflicts) or going for one day only
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
troll, 1 guest, M35A2 or M1008 CUCV - Saturday only
bullitt798, M37 - Saturday only
tsmall07, Honda Civic (wheel chock for 5-tons) - coming Friday morning, leaving Saturday sometime
peecook, 1 guest, M109 - showing up Saturday and Sunday
portert0224, 1 guest, M1008/M1009 CUCV - unknown time frame
Adamlee, 1-2 guests, M35A2, unsure if going
SierraHotel, M35A2 - might show up Saturday
rhinomike, 1 guest - Saturday only as passengers

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks