• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Vaccum pump for 6.2l

Bighorn

Could a diaphragm from a similar pump; such as a Ford 7.3, be swapped onto a GM 6.2?
The older ones sure look the same.
There were a few 6.2 vaccum pumps on ebay but they were n.o.s. and outrageously priced.

When mine goes, I will either try that diaphragm swap or just install a cable actuated trasmission modulator.
That is all the vaccum pump does on an m1009 anyways; supply vaccum to be modulated by throttle position to the vaccum modulator on the turbo 400.
There are cable kit replacements that do the same thing.
Of course, you still need the broken vaccum pump on the engine as it's lower section spins the oil pump.

Last edited:

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Of course, you still need the broken vaccum pump on the engine as it's lower section spins the oil pump.
Ah, never thought of that little detail. Mine probably works, but is useless as the pump doesn't have the correct parts to make the vacuum usable.
Plan A was to hook it directly to the modulator, so that's what I'll try. While my 1008 is nearly always in First gear anyway, it hasn't bothered me that it won't shift correctly.
And if a direct hook-up makes it shift too early...well, the shifter still works.

Bighorn

I replaced the modulator on the throttle and it shifts like a brand new truck.
My vacuum pump puts out a steady 20 in hg vacuum at idle.
But I know, having 94,000 miles and 30 years, it wont last.
So I have been watching the auction sites and searching for alternate solutions.
Best world; find a brand new vacuum pump for 6.2.
Second best; replace the internal diaphragm of the pump or replace whole diapragm unit from another pump. (If possible).
Third; install an electric vacuum pump wired to the ignition and supply vacuum that way. Might work since the vacuum modulators on throttle and transmission don't need a huge volume of vacuum.
4th; convert to a cable actuated transmission modulator.. not cheap but very good and stout solution.
That is my contingency plan should my vacuum pump die, in the order of execution.

ridenby

The problem is that while places list the new part no one has it or can get it. Will be going to NAPA to see what store says. Summit,Rockauto,Jegs list it,can not get it.

DREDnot

The problem is that while places list the new part no one has it or can get it. Will be going to NAPA to see what store says. Summit,Rockauto,Jegs list it,can not get it.
Exactly.

I just went through this vacuum pump search. One guy I talked to called it a "solar system-wide backorder" For any of the ones that are reasonably priced.

What is available are new ones(borg warner) or NOS that will run you close to $300.

I got a good used one from the SS classifieds...WTB.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow, I guess I've not bought one for a while. Several years back I had one let go and spew oil going to the FL Rally. NAPA in Clermont FL had 3 on the shelf.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
The napa hub stores that have their warehouse hooked to them seem to carry it. My local one shows 5 in stock. Price is a little high to me though.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Bighorn

The Napa hub stores that have their warehouse hooked to them seem to carry it. My local one shows 5 in stock. Price is a little high to me though.Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
I think you will find they don't actually have them.
As they fail, more and more people are trying to get them and many places that say they have them really don't.
I have decided to take a risk and bought the brand new, in the package; "Ford Powerstroke diesel vacuum pump diaphragm" from ebay for $59.00 to see if I can fit it to my 6.2 vacuum pump.

To be clear; I am going to retain the lower oil pump drive section of the 6.2 vacuum pump and replace the diaphragm section with a diaphragm from a Ford powerstroke.
Yes, it is a dual acting diaphragm so there is an additional hose running from one side of the diaphragm to the other.
It appears to be a bolt on deal.
Other than the dual acting diaphragm hose, the attachment and actuator button appear the same.

(see that overpriced 6.2 n.o.s. vacuum pump ad on ebay might be useful for it's pictures afterall)

It should function just the same on our 6.2's.. if the two attach to each other.

Since I just bought it this moment, it will take a week or so before i lay hands on it and attempt the swap.
If successful, it would be a relatively cheap and plentiful way to fix our 6.2 vacuum pumps.
If not.. I just spent 59 bucks for nothing and I will relist it on ebay for a loss (since it will be out of the plastic).
I think it is worth the risk.
The backorder from Jegs for a stock 6.2 vacuum pump is until May 2018.
Something tells me they will never arrive.
Might be best to find a suitable interchange at this point.
So that is what I will do.

Last edited:

ridenby

The napa hub stores that have their warehouse hooked to them seem to carry it. My local one shows 5 in stock. Price is a little high to me though.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Purchase two,ship them to me. Can paypal funds or send a money order.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
There are actually 2 on ebay using part number 7839416 from store govsurp The NSN kicks to that one as well.

I found a surplus supplier that has them listed as in stock and he is going to verify and call me back. He has them listed for $150each.

There are also 3 used ones listed for sale on ebay for $50. Its actually Austin I think is his name. He is the beltfed surplus guy on here and on ebay.

It is an H9 diaphragm. Any rubber/seal shop can cut them to fit.

Last edited:

Bighorn

There are actually 2 on ebay using part number 7839416 from store govsurp The NSN kicks to that one as well.

I found a surplus supplier that has them listed as in stock and he is going to verify and call me back. He has them listed for $150each.

There are also 3 used ones listed for sale on ebay for $50. Its actually Austin I think is his name. He is the beltfed surplus guy on here and on ebay.

It is an H9 diaphragm. Any rubber/seal shop can cut them to fit.
That part number is for a pump that injects air into the exhaust stream aka "smog pump".
What we are talking about here is a vacuum pump.
It provides vacuum to a modulator on the injection pump throttle shaft which modifies that vacuum based on throttle position and sends the vacuum signal down a tube to the vacuum modulator on the turbo 400 transmission.
The vacuum pump is driven by a gear on the back of the camshaft of the 6.2.
The shaft of the vacuum pump drives a cam that pushes against a knob that moves the vacuum diaphragm; check valves create a steady 22 in hg vacuum supply.
At the bottom of the shaft; below the cam gear, there is the engine oil pump drive.

Later models; such as 6.5 diesels used a belt driven vacuum pump.
As did Ford and Dodge vehicles.
This is a very odd fish; these cam driven "distributor drive, as they call it, vacuum pumps.
All they do is provide a means of transmission shift control.
Climate controls in these M1009's are all by cable, unlike the civy versions which used vacuum to move air doors etc.
It is a bloody shame the engineers didn't just install a cable actuated modulator on the transmission and be done with it.
Then again; they are only failing now after 30 years, as does anything made of rubber and flexed that hard.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
7849302 shows to be a GM # for 6.2L distributor drive vacuum pump. Which comes back to NAPA 641201 that Recovery4x posted in # 7.

7849302 goes back to NSN 2990-01-149-4966 which also lists 7839416 as a compatible part number which pulls up that pumps I mentioned

My cross references aren't wrong.

The company listed in the one picture has over 100 of them in stock.

Picture of the TM Transmission Vacuum line removal shows it being taken off that pump on the rear of the engine.

Attachments

Last edited:

Bighorn

7849302 shows to be a GM # for 6.2L distributor drive vacuum pump. Which comes back to NAPA 641201 that Recovery4x posted in # 7.

7849302 goes back to NSN 2990-01-149-4966 which also lists 7839416 as a compatible part number which pulls up that pumps I mentioned

My cross references aren't wrong.

The company listed in the one picture has over 100 of them in stock.
What company?
If you have the answer; say it clearly.
Where can we get a vacuum pump for our 6.2?
Prove what you say or provide us with a phone number or a website we can actually order this part.
Guys have been looking for months unsuccessfully.
Quit playing with us.

Accurate diesel is a dead end, back ordered, just like everyone else.
Do you think we are suddenly looking today?

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Well I don't like rookies who try to discredit part numbers on someone who does this all the time. I'll have to add that to the ignore list. If I can't find it, it does not exist when it comes to finding parts.

Confirmed email attached. https://equipmentpartssales.mysimpl...8-m1009-emission-control-air-pump-7849302-nos

Nathan Fulkroad - EPS <Nathan@equipmentpartssales.com>

12:05 PM (1 hour ago)

to me

Hello Michael,
We show to have about 100 of these pumps in stock. If you let me know how many you would like I can provide a better price.

Thanks,
Nate

From: noreply@mysimplestore.com [mailto:noreply@mysimplestore.com]
Sent: Wednesday, November 01, 2017 1:02 PM
To: Nathan Fulkroad - EPS <Nathan@equipmentpartssales.com>
Subject: Equipment Parts Sales New message

Equipment Parts Sales

[HR][/HR]​
New message received

[HR][/HR]​
Looking to see if you have the Vacuum pumps for the M1008/9 trucks in stock actually. GM # 7849302. I see them on your site but wanted to check before I order. If so how many do you have on hand?

Bighorn

Okay, put up.
Let's see you get a vacuum pump.
Because the part number in the picture on the left in your post does not match the picture.
It is not an emissions pump, it is a vacuum pump.
But actually I hope you have found 100 vacuum pumps.
That would be great.
Quit with the hubris and deliver the parts.

By the way, that is a new old stock pump that could be 30 years old.
The entire point of this is to find NEW parts.
It is no better than buying a used one.
But you are the expert...

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks