• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Vacuum Pump

chief1983

I have a specific question about the vacuum pump. The TMs don't go into any real detail about the pump itself. As far as I can tell, I have a dead pump. I hooked the Actron gauge up to the hose running directly from the pump to the regulator, and the gauge registered absolutely no vacuum. I'd have thought a pump that has failed this spectacularly would have been making some sort of noise, something etc. Is it normal for a failed pump to just be completely seized and have no audible signs of trouble? I've already got the new pump in the mail, but I've never dealt with a failed one before and just wondered if this is normal.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a specific question about the vacuum pump. The TMs don't go into any real detail about the pump itself. As far as I can tell, I have a dead pump. I hooked the Actron gauge up to the hose running directly from the pump to the regulator, and the gauge registered absolutely no vacuum. I'd have thought a pump that has failed this spectacularly would have been making some sort of noise, something etc. Is it normal for a failed pump to just be completely seized and have no audible signs of trouble? I've already got the new pump in the mail, but I've never dealt with a failed one before and just wondered if this is normal.
A functioning pump should provide about 20" of vacuum.

There is a diaphram inside the top housing. It can go bad.

Also the drive gear has a roll pin in it and it can shear off.

Easy to remove. Only one bolt. Pulls out just like a distibutor on a gasser engine, except you don't have to worry about the timing.

When you pull it out, make sure all the parts come out. If not you will have to use a magnet or parts retriever to get them out.

There are rebuilt ones at the parts store.
Here is one : Cardone 64-1201
Cardone Remanufactured 64-1201 - Vacuum Pump | O'Reilly Auto Parts