• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Value of truck question

sluggish

Ok I know I cannot expect an exact answer on this but just want to get an idea of what value of these things are. I am in Ontario Canada if that helps anyone. I have come across a 1956 M135 Canadian version troop carrier with the hard top and the auto transmission. I am assuming that it has a 302 - 6 cylinder gas, judging by the research I've been finding. It is not actively for sale but I heard through the grapevine that the owner is willing to let it go. Judging by the appearance, it looks to be solid, it is plated for the road(so it must have had some kind of inspection work done to allow that) and it was driven just last week to where it is now parked. However, it has been moved very sporadically in the last 3-4 years since he purchased it. It has a good tarp on the back, no rust that I can see on the truck or underneath, a few leaks underneath, 6 decent looking tires, no winch, pintle hitch. I forgot to check the mileage on it but who is to say that it will be accurate anyway.

What kind of drivability can I expect from something like this? Obviously not as a daily driver, but the odd little cruise, car show, parade, ice cream run, recovery vehicle for my off road truck, etc. And would drivability become any better if I consider bobbing it(I have always loved the look of that). I assume acceleration would increase a bit.

Lastly, what ball park should I be looking to offer for the truck? Is this something that would normally go for $10-15k, or should I be starting much lower/higher? I know it's hard to tell without pics but I'm completely new to these things and happened to stumble onto it when I wasn't looking, and I don't want to miss out on what may be a great opportunity. Thanks.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When you want one they are expensive, when you don't want one they are cheap. The highest 'value' I've seen is around 20g. That's an appraised completely re-built truck, essentially new. I paid 4g for a nice runner, added about 10g hiring mechanics, buying parts and I think I'd be lucky to get 8g for it. Then I paid less then $1000 each for six more, 3 runners 1 potential and 2 for parts, go figure.

They are like 1950's tractors and to get them moving safely for public roads, things usually need to be removed and replaced/repaired or at least inspected. Just my opinion but re-building the systems where catastrophic failure could kill someone.....like Brakes and Steering........is a must before it has an Impact on the public. If all that is already done and you can jump in and drive, you'll never put a price on the driving experience again.......or at least until the trani cooks. It has been the reported down-fall of these trucks. Nobody builds them anymore and it's hard to find guys or girls that will fix them. So far I have not had a problem.

My M135 crawls in low range, keeps up with traffic to 40mph and loves 49/50/49/50/49/50. It gets in a hum and if the ground is flat or slightly down hill, could do it forever. On a good up hill grade they'll slow down to a human running speed. Changing the rear lenses is a good idea so you can throw on your four-ways and wait for flat ground.

Mine seems to run better when I drive it weekly but likes a lot of maintenance and attention. The pre-trip walk around is long so if you like that kind of thing then an old deuce is perfect. Adjusting valves, cleaning plugs, timing, points, water-pump pulleys, inspecting e-brake, draining air-tanks, building custom exhausts.........washing and polishing:lol:.........is all part of owning an Early Deuce.

Lets go for a cruise and check it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUitK-eJ3r0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YS2one5JrZY&list=UU6aC-vktNzugnZayxvdvkvg

sluggish

Thanks guys. Was thinking of starting at $2500 and see what happens. I'm assuming someone has done some swaps in these things, maybe a DT466 or Cummins with an Allison? That's where I'd eventually like to be with one down the road. Do these things have an independent transfer case to allow for something like that, or would that have to be sourced as well? That would be way down the road anyway but in the meantime it would be fun for some local parades and such, and maybe use it for some advertising.

DeucesWild11

Your hardest part will be how much the owner "loves" the truck. Perhaps ask him what he thinks it's worth, you'll know if you are even close or not. If he thinks it's worth $15K and you have a budget of $5 then??? We all here would love to see some pics.. may be able to give ya a better estimate.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A long time ago my M135 was my daily driver (gas was a lot cheaper). I drove it against the governor (55+ mph) everywhere I went. I think I put about 10,000 miles on it. It is retired now in the back of my shop. I bought it in 1982.

Section8

Engine swaps are done on these some to a greater or lesser degree. They do have an independant transfer case. This is very important for in the future if you plan on doing a drive train swap. The transfer case is counter rotational. Meaning it rotates counter clockwise to drive the front axle when engaged in 6x6. Most modern transfer cases spin clockwise. So if you want to use a more modern transfer case you will have to flip the differential to get it to spin clockwise. This is very Labour intensive and also involves shortening an axle shaft.
Not worth the effort to me. Keep the stock transfer case. They are bomb proof from the research I have found.
Don't expect good mileage with these trucks either. I think the going average most guys get is 5 to 10mpg. 10 is being lucky.
Look forward to seeing pictures. Welcome to the site. If you still get her, if I haven't scared you off, we will look forward to hearing your adventures with her.

Last edited:

sluggish

I finally got down there today to get a closer look and am happy with what i see. I have some pics and will try to post them from my phone if I can figure it out.

I did not see any rust/rot/repair on the body and only minor/normal surface rust on the chassis and it's components(frame rails have some original paint). I expected to see some wetness from seeping diffs, oil pan etc and that was there, but no drips on the grass beneath. The body has a few minor dents and I mean very minor(wouldn't bother to fix them) but the roof had a bigger one obviously from someone standing/jumping on it. Might be able to push that out and put a few to of bows in to help it. Not worried about it.

No no hour meter but it shows 6352 miles, I'm guessing that's correct, or close, judging by the condition. The cab has 2 small cracks on drivers side near the rear of the door at the top and bottom of window. Maybe stress cracks or just slamming of the door? Again not concerned about those. Windows roll up and down easily, as well as vents all function easily, 2 new batteries, pretty clean under hood, tarp looks pretty new as well.

Overall, I like what I see as far as condition goes. Now I need to get in touch with the man in charge and see what his thoughts are. It is not actively on the market but I'm told from a few staff members that they would be open to selling it. It is currently just used as a prop for kids to climb on and i am going to offer them that it stay there for that use for the season(hopefully to help in negotiations).

My hope is that another staff member hasn't thrown his name in the hat before me. We shall see, I guess. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
WOW ,,,Is that mileage at 06352? a 0? as in zero. There are two other numbers that are good to have. One is stamped in the right frame, behind the front wheel and often the other one is on the dash. I obviously would not offer another persons services but I know a guy that knows a guy that may know where that girl has been.... and if he sees this gem I know he'd want to know too.

The bottom of the box is kind of spotless....it's a clean bottom Deuce? That truck is a prize!

I have two 56's so it'd be cool knowing where yours falls in line with Goose and George. If you find the info and if you prefer, send a private M and I'll follow up with some info.

Do you mind if we look her over a bit? Do you have a pic of the steering wheel/ more of the floor including the sides and behind the seat......oh, and that engine compartment, must see original green engine, please.

sluggish

Yes it is a zero(06352 miles) and yes the truck is quite clean. What are the other numbers that you are looking for, I'll see if I can get them. I took engine pics but it is grey and not green, maybe that is just the top or maybe the green was pressure washed off. I'll get more pics of inside the cab too. Anything else?

sluggish

Found out who exactly makes the decision on whether to sell or not and sent an email to him to gauge interest in discussing the option. Hopefully I'll hear back soon and go from there I guess. Like I said, they are not actively trying to sell it(not listed anywhere) but was told by staff members that it has been discussed. I don't have a spot to put it right now but I'll make one if all goes well.

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A little advice from past experiences. If someone had kept a piece like this original to the extent this one is, discussing an engine swap or other major modification with them will often times shut down the potential sale. Fell to that once.

sluggish

Been victim to that myself in the past. Now I keep my mouth shut or just let on as if I were to drive it as it is with only regular maintenance. Fact is, that is what would happen for a while anyway. Could be a long ways down the road before doing any mods, or may never happen. It all depends on if it becomes a daily driver vehicle or just parade/special events duty.

Realistically my commute to work is only 2 miles, and I only work part time(4 days/week summer, 2-3 days in fall, and not in the winter), so even left in stock form it would serve me well. I just love the bobbed look and the thought of a repower interests me.

I almost want someone to write off my 2012 Dodge so I can take the engine/tranny from it for a 6.7 repower. (Almost)

sluggish

Here's a couple pics you asked for. They have locked the hood shut so I can't get anymore pics there. You can't really see the numbers in the 3rd pic but they are easily read in person.

$_35.JPG$_35.JPG$_35.JPG$_35.JPG

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for doing that, no cracks in the wheel that I can see, no floor rust. I'm just not sure if it's been just partially re-built or if it has just been mothballed properly. Looks like the data plate is miSSing and someone started on the gauges however you could have a very rare, original truck worth saving to most folks.

When you're ready to dump money and a thousand hrs into a Bobbod early deuce I'll save you a ton of work and ship you two with just a front clip and frame absolutely free. Motor out and box off will save you some time prepping for a new motor. One truck could be for modifying and one for parts and I can also help you store your deuce by back-hauling it for you to the G749 farm.

On the other side of being original, I've been cruising around on my original trani and motor for 4 years now. They are such a great ride and the legions/cadets/military family fund raisers, Veteran fund raisers and all the folks who don't know what an original deuce looks like, would be grateful if you saved it that way.

Thanks for the pics and let us know when you make the jump.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks