• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Valve Tappet Question

fhu667

I pulled my pushrods out tonight, and on a couple of them it felt like the tappet stuck to it as I was pulling and it made a rattling sound. On one of them it didn't feel like the pushrod wanted to fall back into place. Is it possible / likely that the tappet came out of its hole and dislocated? I see from the TM there is an inspection cover, but it looks like a lot more work to get to it.

rustystud

I pulled my pushrods out tonight, and on a couple of them it felt like the tappet stuck to it as I was pulling and it made a rattling sound. On one of them it didn't feel like the pushrod wanted to fall back into place. Is it possible / likely that the tappet came out of its hole and dislocated? I see from the TM there is an inspection cover, but it looks like a lot more work to get to it.
It' very common to pull the lifters out when removing the pushrods. Get a flashlight and look own there and see if you can make out the lifter. If you see it then you can use a long magnet tool like mechanics do and fish it out. Then you will have to use the same tool to reinstall it and a long screwdriver (or something similar) to push off the tappet from the magnet. I've used this method many times before.