• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Veritread poor service

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I posted a few gens at different locations on Veritread. There is an automatic post option at GP checkout. One gen in PA, first reasonable bid the shipper wanted to be paid with a bank wire transfer only, before he would even discuss scheduling. Next reasonable bid I asked the shipped if any additional fees or anything else before I accepted the bid and he said no. So I accepted his bid and paid the Veritread deposit on my CC, and it said to work out the rest of the payment with the shipper. So today the shipper emailed me "Our office chose to decline this work order since we are not selected to pick up three other trailers in Gaston". First of all I dont have anything in Gaston. My other items are at AAA outside Bragg. What ever this shipper had decided to quote on them had nothing to do with the PA pickup. The NC quotes were all crazy I didnt even look at them. I dont see how GP can run their shipping service like this. Very unprofessional.
Will

drivebymashing

I have checked a few with veritread also. If I could make that kind of money they quote. I would buy a gold plated truck to haul with. I would be a billionaire in about 3 weeks.

reaper556

I have used uship a couple of times and most recently tried veritread. The bids seem higher than on uship but I chose them to hopefully have less hassle on picking up a cucv I bought out of Maryland that doesn't run. I ended up with a final bid of $1340 $140 to veritread and $1200 to the trucking company for a 1500 mile haul so all in all not to bad. I have learned its much better do choose and deal with a trucking company and not a broker. Its always a mixed bag with who is going to show up with your stuff when going thru a broker.

Landbarger

I tried VeriTread on my first gen/ECU trailer. Quote was extremely high but I took it anyway. Then the broker actually looked at what he was shipping, and where it was, and told me that he hadn't realized what all it would take and backed out. I got my money back but haven't bothered even looking at them since.

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I submitted a request for a verified/binding shipping quote from Veritread after winning my HMMWV in mid-February. Still waiting for that quote. Meanwhile, by good fortune the depot was less than 100 miles from me, so I called AAA to help me with my stranded truck. Came off without any trouble, and I tipped the driver well. As we talked I asked him why he would deal with the delays of base security and background checks, and he said it was because the money was good. "How much are they paying you, if you don't mind my asking?" and it was a third of what VT's non-binding automatic quote from the auction page. I will definitely use "anything but Veritread" next time I need shipping.
Bulldogger

DanM7890

I just tried Uship instead and got screwed over pretty bad. I won something and had the standard 10 days. I locked in a shipper on a Tuesday to pick it up by the next Thursday, plenty of time. I didn't hear from him and had to reach out to him the next Monday and than he cancelled on Wednesday before the 10 day mark so I had to drive down to GA myself to get it.

Landbarger

I have found not dealing with a broker but rather the actual trucking company saves a huge amount of hassle
I agree with this.

So that I wouldn't discover any gremlins on the road (my kind of luck), I had my M929 hauled by a local paving company that I knew wasn't real busy. They've got plenty of capacity to haul large items, and at the time I figured much of that capacity was idle. Mine wasn't on a DLA lot (which made it easier) but if you know of local logging, paving, or construction companies that aren't on a big contract I'd recommend giving them a ring. They're almost guaranteed to have a lowboy capable of hauling most MVs.

reaper556

I agree with this.

So that I wouldn't discover any gremlins on the road (my kind of luck), I had my M929 hauled by a local paving company that I knew wasn't real busy. They've got plenty of capacity to haul large items, and at the time I figured much of that capacity was idle. Mine wasn't on a DLA lot (which made it easier) but if you know of local logging, paving, or construction companies that aren't on a big contract I'd recommend giving them a ring. They're almost guaranteed to have a lowboy capable of hauling most MVs.
Thats a good idea, those trucks aren't cheap to have just sitting and I'm sure the driver would rather drive instead of sweeping the shop or whatever so why not make a little coin with your truck in the slow times

Jwade

Supporting Vendor
I dont see how GP can run their shipping service like this. Very unprofessional.
Will
Somehow this one slipped by me. I want to be very clear that Veritread is it's own company and not a part of GovPlanet/IronPlanet. We have partnered with them to provide quotes on our site out of convenience. They do A LOT of shipments for GP customers and as with most businesses they do a lot of great transactions as well. Everyone always hears about the bad experiences its just the natural order of things. We use a Veritread system for our own shipping needs as well.

Last edited:

Landbarger

We use a Veritread system for our own shipping needs as well.
This is about as good of a recommendation as I would expect any business to give. And since I trust that Jwade gives it to us straight, I think this is a significant endorsement. Perhaps my experience was atypical (or it's just that no one wants to ship trailers, I don't know).

Dark Night

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My issue didn't occur with Veritread itself, but with the shipper.

The first shipper I tried came in at about half of what the majority of the others bid... They wanted a direct wire transfer. I sent a question to see if they would accept Paypal. They rescinded their bid... NEXT!

The next bidder, I accepted, not because they were the cheapest, but because they promised to be able to pick up the truck within the GP 7 day requirement. They sent me a CC authorization form that I filled out, scanned and sent back. I put the Release on the Veritread website as instructed. The shipper later emailed me that they could not pickup the truck and that the owner must provide a Release form. I told them I put it on the website, and Jenni from Veritread then sent it to the shipper. It's as though, with over 200 shipments, they have never done this before...

Once things got sorted out, the truck was ready for pickup on 5/3.... Latest to pickup was 5/9 without incurring storage fees. I told the shipper this. We talked on the phone and they said "If we pick it up on 5/5, you will have it on 5/6." The day came... nothing... Late in the afternoon, I called. Got voicemail... left a message... no return call. Sent an email asking for delivery estimate. Nothing.

I spent the weekend wondering if they were going to deliver it, cancelling plans, and eventually thinking I just paid someone to steal my truck and never contact me again...

Monday came with no word from the shipper... I found the phone number of the company online and called... Was on hold for quite a while as they were unable to find my "shipment number in the system"... After some time, they said that the truck was scheduled to be picked up that day or the following day. I had a feeling that they never even scheduled the pickup and were scrambling last minute to get it done.

When the truck arrived the following day, I talked to the driver. He was a private hauler from 3 states away from the shipper... He said he had no idea who was supposed to deliver the truck but he got the call just before 5:00 the day before and was told it was a "rush" job.

All ended well as I got the truck, and it was in reasonable condition. I have yet to hear from the shipper. I'll bet they don't like my feedback on their website, however...

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
It is offered by GP at checkout and gives the outward appearance of more than just simple partnership. A business like that needs a straight set of rules instead I got "we just put you guys together and however business is done has nothing to do with us" from Veritread. Maybe GP should rethink their partnership and find a company with specific ground rules for conducting transactions.
Will

Somehow this one slipped by me. I want to be very clear that Veritread is it's own company and not a part of GovPlanet/IronPlanet. We have partnered with them to provide quotes on our site out of convenience. They do A LOT of shipments for GP customers and as with most businesses they do a lot of great transactions as well. Everyone always hears about the bad experiences its just the natural order of things. We use a Veritread system for our own shipping needs as well.

FloridaAKM

I used Veritread to ship my LMTV from Ft Bragg last month. They were very good about info & keeping me posted throughout the entire deal. The actual trucking company picked up the truck early & had it here @ work the next morning @ 06:15 as promised; a week earlier than I thought possible. There is always good & bad about everything & my experience was very good & within my price range! YMMV!

ryan@veritread

Great feedback everyone, we really appreciate it. There are definitely some challenges in moving this type of freight. Many facilities are open a few days and in some cases, one day a week, the more challenging schedule, the higher the prices. Often times sites offer little in terms of loading assistance. If your equipment doesn’t run or requires loading assistance, someone has to pay for those services.

If anyone has more questions please feel free to contact us!

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great feedback everyone, we really appreciate it. There are definitely some challenges in moving this type of freight. Many facilities are open a few days and in some cases, one day a week, the more challenging schedule, the higher the prices. Often times sites offer little in terms of loading assistance. If your equipment doesn’t run or requires loading assistance, someone has to pay for those services.

If anyone has more questions please feel free to contact us!
At least he reached out and offered assistance. Better than a lot of transactions I've had with private individuals.
I too put stock in what jwade says. Been a straight shooter. Pros and cons, but if ya don't know, now at least we have multiple contacts to help in a situation!

reaper556

This is kind of late to the party but I feel its a valid and honest opinion since I have actually used them. My overall experience with brokers rather it be with veritread, uship or another one that is also a member here has been pretty poor.

The best I ever had was when I hired a driver directly and was in direct contact with him and not a middle man. The last company I hired on veritread was represented as a "gold carrier" not a broker. I was in contact at first with whom I thought was the owner of said trucking company who was also a driver and just a good old boy. Well after payment the comms sorta got to where I felt like I was having to pry to get answers and updates.

Low and behold my truck shows up at my house in the middle of the day while I'm at work. They for some reason didn't relay the correct phone number to the driver ( I had changed my number from what was on my account) until he was there and he wasn't even with the "carrier" I thought I hired. He was pissed as well about the snafu with my phone number from the broke Luckily I work very close to home and happened to be at the shop so I could run home real quick and pull my truck off the trailer as it didn't run at that time.

From now on I will never use or go thru a broker as they aren't worth the hassle and B.S.

jerry v

Purchased truck from gov planet (kansas) shipping was high. found a small company outside ft riley called irish express, they were 40%cheaper and 1day early, nice driver great experience . :grin:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks