• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Vic 3 intercom System up for sale

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice family portrait Craig, your parents look very proud of you there! :roll:

Hmm, Jeeze, I may owe you a beer for that one! :oops:

steelandcanvas

bulldog_mack13 said:
easy John! Why so mean , your a teddy bear ahahah
Some people just don't want to listen, weather they agree with them or not. The people on this board are some of the most knowledgeable on the net, and it irritates me when some "Doofus" thinks he knows it all. I was just in a crumby mood...hadn't had my coffee yet. Thanks for the "teddybear" compliment, brings me back to reality.

ida34

The guys post came off sounding like this to me. " I got an offer for $900 my stuff. None of you cheap sob's bought it so I am pretty much done with you guys on the site." I guess I could have read it wrong but that is the way I took it. As to the matter ownership. The only way to prove them stolen is if the serial numbers come up stolen on a computer check. One can't just say "the military never released them working," and get a conviction. They could have been production overruns or something else. That being said, working equipment that is not obsolete and found in a dumpster really does not sound like an official method of disposition. I remember we had people dumpster diving at Fort Campbell in the 80's and 90's and they were shut down by the MPs and they were mostly getting thrown out cans and bottles.

Cdub

ida34 said:
The guys post came off sounding like this to me. " I got an offer for $900 my stuff. None of you cheap sob's bought it so I am pretty much done with you guys on the site." I guess I could have read it wrong but that is the way I took it.

quote]

I agree..........!!!

C'dub

m52a2

anyone have a set of, or any individual cables for, a vic-3 system ? I got the main controle and 3 of the smaller controles from a honest supplier some time back but did not know what i had untill now...don't have any of those odd looking speakers though...

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
I was very up front with the guy I am an active duty officer andin Iraq, Afghanistan, and Kuwait recovered over 30 million worth of Army equipment out of trash dumpesters and scrap containers ready to go the local scrap dealers. I told him I considered him a hero and just asked for one or two serial numbers so I could use ILAP to find out who owned them and the current disposition on them.

I could have turned this over to CID if I thought he stole them and did not intend to do that but accountable items in the trash are a crime against our country because you and I paid for them. I could hand over the pictures he posted in the first thread and let them enhance the picture that has the serial number plates showing. I also emailed the moderators about this.

I find it like looking at the guy that broke into my sons house in Baltimore and stole his laptop, DVD camcorder and shotgun as he is trying to sell them back to me. Sorry it just smelled like fish.

ida34

I just reread his posts. He said he had six full sets in another thread. Now he said a "bung" messed that up and he only wants to sell one. He said he knows it is worth a lot of money then sets the price at $1000. He then asks to know if it the price was out of line. When most of us express the price is to high he does not change his price. Why ask then? I only said I was out as it was too much for me.

Now for the questions. David brings up good points. David said he asked for some serial numbers to track the items to see how they were disposed of. The guy said he had six and now he only has the one. How does this happen? Is David the "bung"? Lets assume David is the "bung" (sorry David). If asking for some serial numbers got this guy so scared then he does not sound to be on the level. Maybe he was just dumpster diving but these were coded out for a taste of the money. Perhaps he got scared and took the other five sets back to the dumpster where he found them. If they were truly just thrown out then I say go ahead and grab them. They could be defective with intermittent problems or they could be have known defective components. I would think they would go back to the contractor if they were defective but anything is possible.

Who is the bung and how exactly did he mess up you having six full sets of gear?

The other thing that bothers me after rereading the post is the fact he will only take cash in person and will not ship. This sounds like someone that does not want anyone to know where he lives and does not want any traceable form of payment. The size and weight of the items make them easily shippable.

This is all wild theory and conjecture. I could be wrong and all my opinions above are based on the posts on SS. I will be the first to say you can't just say these were never release so they are stolen. The problem is information David tried to get would have either provided proof that they are stolen or not. When working in Tennessee I had a Uhaul manager call to report a stolen item he saw. The first thing we do when someone says something is stolen is we ask for the plate or the vin on the trailer. Since Uhaul puts their own unique numbers on their equipment that would do also. They guy could provide none of this to me. He wanted me to go and check the vin on the trailer. His whole premise that the trailer was a Uhaul type trailer that was painted in non Uhaul colors. I told him I would not go on the man's property and violate his right to privacy only based on a vague suspicion. Could the thing have been stolen? Sure. I was not willing to start a fishing expedition based on no real information. The story above had not basis with any interaction with the trailer "owner". In this case we do have some interaction and it does bring up enough suspicion that I would not consider it a fishing expedition. If I had like information in the trailer case above I would have went and questioned the guy. The comments and way the guy is doing business raises reasonable suspicion. Nothing we know is conclusive. It just sounds fishy.

To be clear, I would probably not give out serial numbers of my equipment out to some guy on the internet just so he can check them for stolen. If something is stolen it is stolen. Even if he did not "steal" the stuff he still received stolen property. If I were him I would go to the local PD and tell them the story of how I got them and ask them to run them. If they do not come up as stolen in NCIC then I would take my stuff and go home. If they were showing stolen then I would turn them over and give them information to turn over to CID. This would show he did not have any intent to be tied up with stolen equipment.

The last thing I want to say on the subject is innocent until proven guilty. We have not proof the stuff is stolen. Again, I am just engaging in wild conjecture.

ida34

I see he is signed on now. Dude, what is the story? I know most of the stuff above can be explained. Do you owe us an explaination? No. Do you need to respond to the thread? No. Am I saying you are a criminal? No. I am just making observations base on your posts and some of the responses. Feel free to address some of this. I am just thinking out load above. The forum is very open to new people but protective of our current members. If some of your posts were taken the wrong way than by all means let us know.

Dmbuhan

Ha I thought I'd Come back on to see whats up.. you guys make me laugh. all the therorys you guys comming up with. The guy Armyman30years is going to run the Nsn For me.. If you want ask him how i obtained the untis i explained it to him.. ha wow what a bunch of detective wannabes.. HAHA NO Illegal Stuff here just a guy who happen to come across it.. Who know maybe you guys will come across the guy i sold it to. its on its way to Texas. So the guys with the shipping story Sorry to have rain on you parade :D

Michael

I was not accusing anyone of steeling. Also, I was never in the military. but I have heard it repeated many times by people in the military that it is common practice to throw away any gear that was not assigned to you right before inspection. It was my understanding that the guy found them while he was on the job at a transfer station. Is that a crime? Probably not. If he sells it to a US citizen has he committed a crime? Not to my knowledge. He will commit a crime if he exports any of it though. He will also get a visit from men in suits asking a lot of questions if the government finds out he is trying to sell it. They will also want it back.

Garbage is an interesting topic. I think the legal precedence has been established that once you throw something away and it makes it to public property (the curb), it is no longer yours and you have no legal control of it. This was established with the police collecting evidence from garbage. You might have a tough legal battle proving it works the other way though.

As I see it the ones with the most to loose are the ones who were officially issued the eq which could be established by the serial number. But then they may have already "acquired" replacements or have had to pay for it.

I see he posted while I was typing this. Hopefully the collector who bought it won't have to surrender it and lose his money.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
As I stated before, I bought a control box off of ebay (before I stopped visiting the lame s.o.b.'s) but I never got the cables to hook it up so the one I had may or may not have been functional. I didn't even think to check what the disposal code it. I will say that a few months ago there were about 2 pallet boxes filled with VIC-1 stuff that was sold out of OH and occasionally you see pieces here and there in mixed lots. But I can't say that I've seen the VIC-3 stuff. Oh, btw, how can we be sure his system wasn't demilled or a manufacture QC failure that wouldn't have worked to start with. I wish the guy who bought it the best of luck for it functioning.

Frankly, I just as soon see this thread go the way of the carrier pigeon and die. I see David's perscpective and appreciate that but I was focused a lot more on just his poor attitude. If you don't want our thoughts on something, don't ask. Kinda like Oprah asking me if I think she looks fat.

ida34

The stuff posted above about garbage being abandoned property is not quite right. First off stuff does get given away right before an inspection but stuff like this stuff and radios have serial numbers and are accounted for on a hand receipt. Someone would be responsible for them and during the inspection the inventory of serial numbered items would be checked. A dirty tent is one thing an expensive electronic component is another. DRMO sells the stuff off in lots. Could the stuff had been coded out and disposed of in a regular dumpster? I doubt it. If the dumpster was at DRMO then maybe. Also, any dumpster on a military installation is not the same as Joe Blow putting his trash out to be collected by the trash man. I know of local laws against scavenging that basically say you can't take stuff out of trash in a container used for municipal pickup. If a police officer gets stuff out of the same dumpster he is an agent of the municipality and can do so legally. The issue with an officer checking trash is not one of ownership. It is a question of an expectation of privacy. The court cases mentioned above basically say that a person that puts stuff in the trash for pickup does not have a reasonable expectation of privacy and the officer does not need a warrant. It does not have to do with ownership of the item. Also, if someone steel something and puts it in a trash can that does not negate the fact that it was stolen. If the items were legitimately put in the dumpster and legitimately left the military system then he does not have stolen equipment. If he took the stuff out of a dumpster on base then he could be charged with scavenging. If the dumpster was off post then it depends on the local laws.

The biggest problem I see was how he approached the board. No contribution. If the guy wanted to sell something without comment then do not ask if the price was out of line. In fact do not put it in a thread at all. Put it in the classifieds like the forum rules state. He broke the rules of the forum and got mad when we collectively made comments about his post and the legitimacy of his products. If he did not want a discussion he should not have started one. He should have posted a classified add.

ida34

I almost forgot. If I come across another vic-3 for $100 or $900 I will still pass it up because there is not a real reason to have the expensive system when the Vic-1 can do the same stuff for about $200 or $300. Was $900 a good deal? As long as the seller and you are happy then who cares? The only plus I see to the Vic-3 is the ANR headsets and I think I have found a way to use them with the Vic-1.

In case he reads this. Do you owe us an explanation of how you got the system? No. If you want to be a part of this community I would stop stirring the pot. I was trying to make the point that we could not just assume the stuff was stolen, but some of your posts and comments seemed odd and created suspicion.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks