• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Vietnam tribute Truck

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So the 8th group commander could tell his convoys from others while flying around-----mid 69 and the little extras added later---------
Sounds like the 8th Group Commander was a bit ...hmm shall, we say retentive on his assets? A bright yellow nose somehow screams out TARGET THIS!

Yellow is definitely off the plate.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My observations:
A) Lights: Change out the composite lights to the older style. No yellow headlights!
B) Fabrics: Canvas
C) Mirrors: Single arm, but west coast have been seen on VN era trucks.
D) Paint: As stated, 24087. Don't paint the nose yellow!
Why no yellow headlights? I've seen several pics where they were used.

Driver523

Man---I posted but it went somewhere other then where it was supposed too----They had the yellow headlights when they wanted em---Here is Rogers second truck---at least he now has a passengers windshield and one mirrior----These and most all photos I post are from the albums of my Brothers I have collected---A Great bunch of guys one and all

Attachments

Last edited:

vtdeucedriver

A bright yellow nose somehow screams out TARGET THIS!

The Yellow nose is hardly a thought for a target when there is BIG WHITE STAR to aim at where the driver sits!! That target is on ALL trucks. Some drivers got nurvious and would darken them out so they were not so obvious.

vtdeucedriver

THe sites listed are fine if someone wanted to do a Line Haul cargo truck but he is looking to do a Armor Unit in Vietnam as he had family in armored units.

Now IF you chose to maybe link with those of us who do run around with "Yellow Noses" Check out the 69th Armored Div Web site. They did Highway Security in the Centeral Highlands. These guys were in the same area as the 8th GP truckers.
1st Battalion 69th Armor

This is a EXCELLENT site!!!
I think you would do well representing these guys well. I have chatted with Ray before about his experience protecting the guys hauling supplies and I would love to see you represent their story!!

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like the 8th Group Commander was a bit ...hmm shall, we say retentive on his assets? A bright yellow nose somehow screams out TARGET THIS!

I'd personally do both the yellow nose and lights, just to be different. (I think they look good) Actually I have a few sets of the lights.:driver:

m816

The only yellow nosed trucks in VN were part of the Eigth Trans Group. all others were plain OD. The color 24087 is the proper color. The best for that in my opinion is Gilespe 24087. The stars as mentioned were 21" w/the point facing forward. That way it is always pointing up. the doors should have had 10-12" no bigger.everybody had deuces even the air force. The bumper markings and USA numbers on the side of the hood were in three inch stenciled letters in white. The rear bumperetts were usually in 3" but 2" were used if 3 didn't fit. All trucks had canvas cab tops and the rear canvas as well as the bows were optional for the unit mission. and if it was monsoon season. Early trucks had single arm mirrors in the 4X6 size later they got larger and eventually every one who could get them upgraded to west coast mirrors. The first west coast mirrors were perloined from Ten Ton trucks and were way to big for the smaller deuces. The early and even Later linehaul trucks got the worse treatments due to their heavy use on the unforgiving roads and constant service other units just seems to lack the maintaince support for their vehicles. yes they were dirty and abused but unit comanders usually reqired that drivers maintain and clean the trucks as much as possible.
Find a unit you wish to honor and do your research before you begin. You have a reasonable looking truck. Take pride in ownership and make it at least motorpool ready. both mechanicaly correct as possible. then enjoy driving it. Don't forget to use a cargo strap across the rear if you will be hauling " troops " or other passengers. Cargo can be hauled in an open top and stow the canvas untill the weather get bad. My two cents.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why no yellow headlights? I've seen several pics where they were used.

I've seen photos of them used also, not saying they weren't. However, I only recall seeing them on trucks of the 8th. Again, not saying others didn't also.

The OP said , " Just your everyday convoy truck is the theme i want to present.

I think the 8th had some pretty bad a$$ looking trucks, almost like they were flipping off Charlie!

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Man---I posted but it went somewhere other then where it was supposed too----They had the yellow headlights when they wanted em---Here is Rogers second truck---at least he now has a passengers windshield and one mirrior----These and most all photos I post are from the albums of my Brothers I have collected---A Great bunch of guys one and all
Great picture...the disgust on the Soldiers face about his helmet lying on the ground speaks for itself. As for the mirror, I see what you mean. If at all possible and keeping with the theme, I'll need to date the "entrance" of the west coast style mirrors. If that falls during or after 1970, I don't need to worry about spending extra. The same goes for the lights. Lights are probably going to be easier but finding a set of mirrors? Who knows, this is one of those projects that have a life of their own...ride the wave and see where it takes me. Regardless, it's going to be as accurate as I can make it. And that yellow nose...man, that's just looking for someone to take a pot shot at it IMHO.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a pair of the early 2 support mirrors you can have if you need them.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll go one further and give you a set of NOS yellow headlights if you'll do the yellow nose and headlights (8th):-D

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hmm, temptation:drool:...I set a goal of a Tanker Unit for personal reasons. If there's proof that a 16th, 34th, 69th or 77th Armor truck had those characteristics. Done deal. Otherwise, I'll have to pass. For some reason, which I'm sure those that were "there" understand, 1970 seems to be a transition year. Seems a lot of things "could" happen with configurations starting around that time period. My SEA history is weak but I'm going to learn everything i can to do it right. When money or resources limit...Marine Corps training kicks in: Adapt, Improvise and Overcome. And if I can't dazzle 'em with my brilliance, I'll baffle 'em with the BS :-D The source material I'm using for the units is attached.

Attachments

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll go one further and give you a set of NOS yellow headlights if you'll do the yellow nose and headlights (8th):-D

:mad:......................:lol:

Okay, after the big event, paint over the armor unit marking, paint the "8th" on it, install those free yellow lights and paint the dang nose yellow!

daddy2

Can't help you out on specifics but Just wanted to say I think it is great you are doing a Vietnam tribute truck. My father (Capt. USMC) was in country for 27 months . He flew the F4 Phantoms with the Black Knights, squadron 314 .

Kokomo, Indiana has a Veteran's ralley in Sept. Can PM you with info if interested.
Semper Fi. :beer:

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can't help you out on specifics but Just wanted to say I think it is great you are doing a Vietnam tribute truck. My father (Capt. USMC) was in country for 27 months . He flew the F4 Phantoms with the Black Knights, squadron 314 .

Kokomo, Indiana has a Veteran's ralley in Sept. Can PM you with info if interested.
Semper Fi. :beer:
Appreciate the thought and thank you very much for the invite. Unfortunately, Son, daughter and wife will be in school in Sept so all my travels will be with in the local area. please post pics though! Always like to see how other cities and towns set up their celebrations. Would like to see more events here in SE Wyoming but coming up with ideas aint one of my strong points.

27 months over the skies of SEA in an F-4, WOW! I hope he made it home. Of all the jets that i was around, the F-4 was and still is my favorite jet fighter. We always joked that it was proof that if you put a big enough engine on a brick you could get it to fly.:D Joking aside, that was one tough bird. Sort of like the toughness of the B-17...shoot the tar out of it and it still brought it's crews home. Once they put that 20 MM on them, they kicked some serious NVA backside.

Sempre Fi!

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
WE had some west coast when I was there (66-68

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks