• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Virgina Steel Soldiers Rally - April 4-6, 2008 - sign up !

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, we have a respectable group of folks signed up, that's great! As we get closer to the rally date, we will set up details regarding who is bringing what (campwise) and where we will meet at, etc.

On a more important note, we will need several folks who will act as coordinators for certain things. We have a volunteer (or set of volunteers) in Opie and Opie's wife, who will act as field medics in the event someone gets hurt. We need someone to act as commo officer, to coordinate communications between vehicles while on the trail, and someone to act as a navigator (perhaps someone with a GPS and some maps). I am working on this end to get some maps, as well as Opie, and will be heading down that way again soon to map out some more places to wheel.

musclecars664

me and my family would love to head down also, sounds like alot of fun. we just got our truck so we're gonna have to get a few things worked out but we have a couple months to do that so i think we will be fine. im really looking forward to it.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, many thanks go out to Patrick and Matt (L1A1) for taking me out on the trail this past weekend to look at more trails. Found a really nice trail into some campsites that were really nice and tree-covered, but allowed plenty of room to park a dozen or so big vehicles without too much in the way of problems. The temp in the valley got around 40 degrees, but this past weekend it never got above 30, so there was plenty of ice and snow. A couple spots of ice from the mountain springs had made things VERY hairy a couple times, but our fearless driver never missed a beat.

Below are a few pics I took of the day out in the woods. I am getting together some maps, and coming up with a plan for the rally weekend, where we will start at, finish at, and places to stop in between. Thanks to L1A1, also found a great spot to rally at on Friday around noonish, an abandoned shopping center that will allow us plenty of room to meet up and marshall the vehicles.

If you are interested in going, please let me know!

Attachments

L1A1

MadDawg308
You are most certainly welcome! I had a lot of fun off roading with you and Pat checking out potencial trails to use in the spring. I came away with two important and yet different experiances that day. First, I'm becomming full of giddy excitment for this upcomming "rally in the Vally" and the second is "Don't dare Pat to do anything :!: " As of now, I guess it will be Pat and myself attending, I may have one or two more but I'm not sure.
Matt

wadereg

Got plenty of vac. time and as long as everything goes good with the 109 ill be planning on attending. I have family in winchester so it sounds like a good trip and im excited! BRING ON THE FUN

5.0fox

This looks like it's going to be an awesome time! Like my brother said we have a few things to do to the truck before the time comes, but we are working on it 8)....is anyone else coming from the north? maybe we could meet up on the way down or something....

Opie

If tsmall07 or Cranetruck aren't coming, I may be the southern I-81 serial commander. Is anyone else coming north on 81 or either way on I-64?

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wade, how nice is your M109? The reason I ask is that it is bound to get scratched. I've never been to this place, but I've taken a deuce on some trails in the NJ Pine Barrens and, when I got back, there were quite a few new scratches along the sides of the truck. Just a word of caution. I am definitely not bringing my nicest truck.

Opie

BKubu said:
Wade, how nice is your M109? The reason I ask is that it is bound to get scratched.
Don't worry...mine's a beater and I'll go first. :D

(Maddawg308 has driven the main trail and also was with me at Rausch Creek and hasn't told me yet not to bring my shop van...then again he may be after my stash of beer :beer: )

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Opie said:
If tsmall07 or Cranetruck aren't coming, I may be the southern I-81 serial commander. Is anyone else coming north on 81 or either way on I-64?

I'm aware of my neglect of this thread, being a Virginian and all, but it's a lot of driving, not much different from an Aberdeen road trip, close to 900 miles total.
AND there is this 8x8 sitting in my yard BETWEEN the deuce and the house and 99% of my MV attention has stopped there since its arrival.
The deuce needs a lot of maintenace after the last trip and with my limited income it will be a while, so no roadtrips in a forseeable future...

wadereg

HEY...whats the point of buying something if your not going to play with it? a scratch never stopped me from offroading my 30k Dodge nor has it stopped my wife from beating the ever living crap out of her 05 F150 (which will also becoming). The wife and the truck will be coming for support and if dogs are allowed ill be bringing the little devils. so yes im taking it, its a old military truck and i am sure it has seen worse.

Opie

Wish I felt my pups could come, but they're homebodies.

(Where IS that pic of the bassett hound with the hearing protection when I need it?)

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Will do, SW. I'm at my brother's place in MD now, but will call this evening or Sunday.

Many thanks to L1A1 who has taken the time to figure out all the fuel stations in the convoy route that would allow for easy "tanking up" of all gas and diesel vehicles on the way, PLUS he has also mapped out a way to get from I-81 from the north to the rally point without getting stuck in downtown H'burg (anyone who knows H'burg knows of the "town square" and the traffic snarls around it, esp. for larger vehicles) and without any major stop lights or traffic congestion. His route from the north (and the south) will be posted as we get closer to the time.

Also, have an idea for camp: MOVIE NIGHT! Since we apparently have two M109s slated to sow up, I can bring a couple white sheets for a screen, some classic WWII movies or similar, and I can borrow the digital projector, my laptop and the sound system from work. All we need is a small genset from someone who is willing to bring one (not military - too loud!). Can watch a movie after dinner. How ya'll feel about this idea?

Also, looking for a map guy to tag along in about a month or so when I will be doing a final scout of a lot of the small trails in the area in my CJ3A. I'll drive, need someone to ride along with a couple topos and notepads, making notes of places of interest as we go. Timeframe for that will be early March.

Updated the list of attendees, about 14 drivers and 10 or so guests. Looking good so far!

wadereg

I can try and get a gen. from my buddy...no promises though he is a little flaky at times. i also have four shepards, three German and one Belgium Malinois, if that is OK? I promise to clean up the poop! Ill have a 8 man tent for any one in need as wel1 and one extra bag in case someone forgets.

M215

VA Rally

Hey Mike,
Are your plans to return to the same camping area Friday and Saturday nights? I had planned on rigging one of my M105 + shelter as a camper, did not want to tow it during the trail rides and was hoping I could leave it in one location.

I could be available in March to help with mapping if needed, just give me a couple weeks notice.
Karl

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks