• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Virginia to Florida and back 2006

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's the question of the day; Why are there no pictures of the GA leg of Bjorns "round the east coast" journey? I thought for sure there would be a pic of someone swinging from the robotic arm or Bjorns truck swinging from the 819. Please tell me that you guys brought a camera! It would be most disturbing that you guys had this big meeting and no pics were snapped. How many trucks were there? I know RDMs deuce, Rons 819, Bjorns arm truck, were there any others? Joel, your truck isn't at home right? Since Bjorn's arrival there have been 5 words posted from the GA contingent. C'mon guys!

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Ask and you shall receive, Kenny:

I don't think we got any shots of the bed being offloaded.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I enjoyed meeting Kenny again, Joel, Ron, Robert and Clinton now all have "faces" on this forum.
Thank you for your hospitality Kenny and Joel! Thanks Kenny for your generosity, I'll do my best to make good use of the equipment you hand over to me. Thanks Robert for the biodiesel production stuff, it will be used.

Here are some trip stats:
Some images below, more later. The first picture shows the empty "cubies" after the arrival at Kenny's.

Length of trip: 1,884 miles
Fuel: 1,000 miles on biodiesel and veggie oil exclusively. Truck GVW approx 17,000 lb; 10.1 mpg
Fuel: 884 miles on petro diesel. Truck GVW 19,500 to 21,000 lb; 9.1 mpg.
Tire size: Single 1100-20 NDCC's, rear drive shaft off, standard front hubs.
Engine hour meter: 50.2 hrs

Mishaps:
1) 3 out of 5 valves used for the heated fuel tank system failed before and during the trip due to dirt in fuel. (Looking for the "right" valves now).
Ran truck from "main" fuel tank only with heat on for the duration of the trip as a result.
Fuel temp ranged from 58F to 138F.

2) Speedometer failed for part of the trip, but was fixed (loose speedo adapter). Distance lost on the odometer added into figures above.

3) Engine oil leaks. Filler cap replaced, which helped with one leak. The LDS one did the job, Kenny, thanks.

4) Fuel leaks. Didn't do anything about them. Lines will be replaced when new valves are installed anyway.

5) A turbo boost gauge connection separated some place behind the dash less than 50 miles from home on the return trip. Didn't bother fixing it during the trip.

6) Flasher unit failed at start of the trip. New one installed.

7) Front end shimmy experienced at about 50-55 mph during first hour or so each day of driving. Likely due to "flat" spots on the tires after sitting for the night. Goes away when tires get warmed up.

That's about it for now.

Attachments

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did weigh the deuce two times during the trip, the first time after leaving Kenny's loaded with the M756 pipeline truck bed, a 10KW genset plus the usual supplies. The second time after leaving Joel's (BFR) house in Georgia, loaded with the goodies from Robert (RDM).

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks