• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

VW Kurierwagen (VW 181)

HUGO bOSS

Hello.

My name's Hugo Pereira and I live in Madeira Island, Portugal.

After several years of dreaming...

I finnally get one...:-D 28 of March this year...

HUGO bOSS

Last 28 of March I give a call to the old owner (old now :mrgreen: ) at front off his house, were the car was...

He wasn't there... I wait for two hours and get to the bank to pick uo the money when the car was going to my place on a trailer...
At home...

HUGO bOSS

After lunch we started to work on him...

The portuguese history of this car started at 2003 when the guy who sold it to me, see the car on the mobile.de site.
Bought him, payed for a trailer until the Hamburg airport and put the car on a cargo plane to Madeira island. When he go to pick uo the car, he have a beer box in the place of the driver and no seats at all on the car... :evil:
The gear box was broken... he payed to fix up the gear, make some kind of rear seats and use the front ones from a beetle he had for parts... The engine and brakes were also checked at the time.
After that, the car was shipped by boat to the Porto Santo island, were he have a house and stayed there until the end the summer of the last year. 3 of the doors are still there... :|
He told me that used the car only in the summer, with the wife and the 3 kids they have. He also have some friends that used the car and the house in several times... 9000 kms in 9 years... He also sayed to me that he NEVES WASHED THE CAR IN ALL THAT TIME... :shock: :shock: :shock:

HUGO bOSS

The fu$%&/() guys of the working shop also glue some carpets at the front and on the center tunnel of the chssis. We need to remove them and them we sstarted to see some of the varius kgs of snad on the car...

Allmost a beach...

mikev

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice find Hugo and looks to be pretty rust free...!!!

I am a VW/Audi mechanic in Tennessee (on the side) and owned a 1973 VW Thing while I lived in Chicago during the 80s which was pretty rusty, but had the German gas heater still in it and was operational... :p

Check out US eBay and you'll see the 181s go for major $$$ - especially the rust free ones. California still has the most air-cooled VW activity and most their VWs go for premium money since no salt used on the roads out there...

Congrats [thumbzup] as it looks like it was a "journey" to acquire that 181 and thanks for sharing. :-D

Keep us posted as you turn her into a "military vehicle"...:cool:

Xanthus

Looks good. I just got a "Thing" and I am hunting for parts to make it look more like it's predecessor, the Kubelwagen. I was also thinking matte black, and that one there confirms it. I will DEFINITELY want to go flat black!

HUGO bOSS

Nice find Hugo and looks to be pretty rust free...!!!

I am a VW/Audi mechanic in Tennessee (on the side) and owned a 1973 VW Thing while I lived in Chicago during the 80s which was pretty rusty, but had the German gas heater still in it and was operational... :p

Check out US eBay and you'll see the 181s go for major $$$ - especially the rust free ones. California still has the most air-cooled VW activity and most their VWs go for premium money since no salt used on the roads out there...

Congrats [thumbzup] as it looks like it was a "journey" to acquire that 181 and thanks for sharing. :-D

Keep us posted as you turn her into a "military vehicle"...:cool:
Thanks Mikev.
The car have many rust... :gimp: Just wait and see the next photos...
About California cars, I have, with my father in law, a Baywindow from 1976 that we bought to the fisrt owner, when he return to Madeira island, after several decades working in the USA. She was never restore before...
We have several VWs in the family...:driver:

HUGO bOSS

Nice. Good for you. Looks like a good project.

We have one too. They are neat vehicles.
Thanks M1031CMT.
I only drive mine for 200 metres in the garage of my appartment...:whistle: But have drive one from 1969 of a friend... a realy cool car... The '69 model still have the reductions gears on the back wheels... mine is from 1978... they were "lost" in 1974...:roll:

HUGO bOSS

Looks good. I just got a "Thing" and I am hunting for parts to make it look more like it's predecessor, the Kubelwagen. I was also thinking matte black, and that one there confirms it. I will DEFINITELY want to go flat black!
Thanks... but it was a wolf in a sheep cloth...:lol: Just wait and see...

About the "kubel" look, I now a guy in the UK that make one... looks very cool, but it's yellow sand... The mate coulor is great also, and like the grey too...:wink:

HUGO bOSS

Continue...

They go to the beach, and come to the car with the foots wet... salt and sand on metal...

It was like glue...

We remove the front passeger seat to easy clean him up...

HUGO bOSS

And the look after we clean several bird ****, sand , garbage, etc...

And after this photo, the things came out of control... :roll::whistle:

Two friends arrived and sayed: "Why you dont paint him green right now? What are you waitting for?"

HUGO bOSS

"-Ok... let me try this one for the first time..." - that's my answer...

A 200metres ride in the garage of my building...
And the rest for the night...

HUGO bOSS

The day after, I only had time at the afternoon to work on him... first see the windows...

They are in glass... an german enginner piece of art! :mrgreen:

HUGO bOSS

And on the ash tray, another ignition key...

The old owner sayed to me that he havent another one... he doesnt smoke... the cigars on him are germans... he never washed the car... welll... he never opened the ashtray... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks