• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WA State Collector Vehicle license HB 1933

Amer-team

After looking through the committee materials, it looks like we are going to be saddled with this one. I have not looked up yet to see what they consider a violation. It looks like if you do 3 violations, you are back to a regular license plate. It also lists that there are 110,000 collector vehicle licensed vehicles in the state. It might be time to start looking to see if there are some states that have some good provisions written for Historic Military vehicles. We could maybe approach these legislators for future legislation to put some protections and safeguards in to take care of our special needs.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
After looking through the committee materials, it looks like we are going to be saddled with this one. I have not looked up yet to see what they consider a violation. It looks like if you do 3 violations, you are back to a regular license plate. It also lists that there are 110,000 collector vehicle licensed vehicles in the state. It might be time to start looking to see if there are some states that have some good provisions written for Historic Military vehicles. We could maybe approach these legislators for future legislation to put some protections and safeguards in to take care of our special needs.
FYI: I consider TEXAS to have some of the most friendly FMV registration requirements of all. They are open to very favorable interpretation and application. Whenever nationwide discussions of various states' regs are reviewed here, I always feel blessed to live in TEXAS.

2cents

ABN173

OK I decided to not only contact my reps but to also contact the Rep who is sponsoring this bill. His response is as follows:

Dear Dr. Henderson:

HB 1933 does not penalize anyone who is currently driving with a legal, proper collector plate. All of those are grandfathered in.

There are no increased fees or registrations for anyone who is currently registered legally.

Sincerely,
[FONT=Calibri, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
State Representative
35th Legislative District
Mod B-101
[FONT=Calibri, sans-serif][FONT=Calibri, sans-serif]Finn.fred@leg.wa.gov[/FONT][/FONT]

It does however penalize those of us that are still trying save enough to buy one................:neutral:

Kaiserjeeps

Thank you for the time and work you guys put into this. Don't expect the answer you get to always be straight up and honest.
I am in my late 40's. About 10 years ago I was thinking about old cars, the future, fuel, and taxes. I at that time could easily see a Classic car road tax put in place to squeeze a little more revenue in the pot. It has not happened yet. But I bet it does. Imagine a bunch of modern hybrids and electrics running past you. Then you hear the old V-8 coming. That person is going to have to pay for that enjoyment. I would put money on it.

Again, thanks for the efforts big time.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you for the time and work you guys put into this. Don't expect the answer you get to always be straight up and honest.
I am in my late 40's. About 10 years ago I was thinking about old cars, the future, fuel, and taxes. I at that time could easily see a Classic car road tax put in place to squeeze a little more revenue in the pot. It has not happened yet. But I bet it does. Imagine a bunch of modern hybrids and electrics running past you. Then you hear the old V-8 coming. That person is going to have to pay for that enjoyment. I would put money on it.

Again, thanks for the efforts big time.
You share an interesting perspective. It is not nearly as far-fetched as some might want to think. Ego and jealousy play strongly in the minds of those who might want to persecute their fellow countrymen through taxation. IMHO :deadhorse:

Amer-team

Probably when this path of law started back in 1999, they did not forsee the number of vehicles that would be licensed in this manner. You pay 35 dollars, although it seems that it always cost me around a hundred, except for the M54 which was about 300, and then you never have to pay again. They are now looking at 110,000 vehicles so licensed and if there was a way that they could pinch 10 dollars a vehicle more per year, they could spend that somewhere.

We here in WA really need to ponder on some proactive MV licensing, rules, and regulations. In other words, lets get them before they get us. In many case we are driving functional museum pieces, preserving their history, and keeping the memory alive of what our Veterans have done and gone through. This deserves special consideration.

In WA we have Horseless Carriage and Collector Vehicle. I would suggest another class, Historic Vehicles. We could work on the definition of each and the rules for each.

CatMan

One of the very important provisions that we were able to place into the new Wisconsin HMV law in 2010 is NO RESTRICTION on the age of a former US military vehicle to qualily for registration as a Historic Military Vehicle.

Taking the age requirement out takes care of any issues with newer vehicles like the M35A3's coming on the market. The Wisconsin DMV doesn't care what the age is as long as it is former military. One less thing to worry about.

Having a specific HMV law has advantages. Be prepared to work it thru and know what to include in a model bill.

Cat Man

rancherrob

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yesterday's License and emissions test

FWIW, I just bought my first MV. A USAF M35A2C. I didn't know about historical plates and besides, the title has it listed and an '87 as that was when it was rebuilt at the depot. So I even had to get it emissions tested as '87 is the cutoff this year. After paying $5 for temp permit and the privilege to drive it only to and fro the inspection station, I ventured out Saturday into the land of bureaucracy. You should have seen the inspectors and their supervisor in a huddle trying to figure out what to do with me and the deuce! :) Then again at the computer, then again with the probe and the exhaust. :grin: Ended up doing a "snap test" (just stomping on the accelerator to the floor and right backup) with someone manually holding the probe in the exhaust pipe. Even though the fuel was probably from '87 too and smelled like it was paint thinner instead of diesel, it passed with a score of 52 out of upto 55 allowed! I don't know what the numbers mean. Back at the dept of licensing, I licensed it as a farm truck, upto 26,000 GVWR plus a 10,000 max trailer for $495. I'm not sure how that breaks down and if sales tax is in there too. After 4 hours I didn't care anymore and just wanted get out of the government nightmare and back to reality...

Amer-team

Welcome Rancher Rob. They have your money now, so I think you are lost for this year.

If you could get them to correct your title to the real year of your truck, your license fee next year as a collector vehicle should be under 100 dollars. If you maintain the current 1987 year and HB 1933 goes into effect, you have 16 more years of licenseing at probably 300 plus per year.

What year does your data plate say that your truck is? If your VIN number on the data plate matches the title and the VIN has a delivery date of pre 1981, you have a strong case to get a correction on your title. They may make you come in for another inspection to verify this. All that you have to say is that there appears to be an error on the title of your that you would like to get verified.

I had a heck of a go around with them on my 42 GPW. The title that I received had it listed as a GPA, don't I wish, but all the other numbers were correct, and the stamping on the original data plate had a misstamped W that sort of looked like an A. They also wanted to title it as a 43 because it was made in November 42. They finally had to call upstairs and it is licensed as a 42.

On the 68 M54, the guy was most worried about it being an M151. And then he wouldn't sign off for a title, so I ended up with the 3 year registration.

Remember it is all fun. :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks