• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wait Light works intermittently

captkennyboy

Hello to all. the wait light works intermittently. used to work fine until the run switch was left on and the batteries went dead. replaced one but the other one took a charge. Now the wait light flashes quickly and the truck is hard to start. I have read the other posts but wondering with leaving the switch on and draining the batteries if anyone has an idea were to start first before I start replacing things

thanks for the help in advance

ken

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Leaving the switch on either killed your board or wasted the glowplugs as they stay energized. Unless you have the non swell, self regulating glowplugs. I'm guessing your glowplugs are toast. I would test your glowplugs first thing. I'm betting replacing your glowplugs about $60 with new glowplugs non swell, self regulating will do the trick. I hope yours come out easier than mine did. I had to buy the special tool to get most of mine out and one tip broke off. Luckily it went out the exhaust after scaring the crap put of me with the rattling when I started it up without realizing the tip had broken off. I took a chance once I realized the tip had fallen into the cylinder and ran it for a minute or so and the tip luckily took a good bounce, got stuck in the exhaust valve for a second or two and exited.....Not recommended..

Plugs I bought: http://www.accuratediesel.com/shop/115.html
Glow plug extractor http://www.jjandaracing.com/contents/en-us/d9.html

Last edited:

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
thanks I'm new at this so I'm assuming that if I remove a glow plug I can tell if it's cooked
Do a search on here for testing glow plugs. They should have a certain resistance with an ohm meter from the plug connector to ground. Can't recall off hand what the range is supposed to be.

gcbennet

Yup, when I pulled and tested all of mine they all metered between 2.0 and 2.5 ohms. You can hold them right in your hand and hold the red probe to the GP's connector tip and the black probe to the collar. I suppose you can meter them while still installed, but I personally would recommend taking them out first so you can carry out a full inspection.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks