• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Want to see pics of gov. locker in CUCV's

jag7720

But the clutches only work when the locker is engaged right? So I'm ok till I get the additive in there as long as I don't cause it to engage...right?

I'll get some tonight.

4bogginchevys

I believe they are the same, but pinion shaft/inside yoke diamater is larger in the rear... I've pulled a few apart but not more than 4 or 5 so I cant say if the pinion shaft thing is consistent...:-D

DMgunn

Supposedly there are both 28 and 30 spline 10 bolt rears - logic would say no 28 spline axle would have found its way into any 1/2-ton 4x4 "military" vehicle......'course this is GM we are talking about...

JWNathan

Interesting, thanks guys. Was just thinking this might be a an easy way to put a limited in the front. A friend has several 10 bolts that are free for the taking and a couple are limited. May have to do some more digging around.
-Jesse

DMgunn

And if you do that, put full-circle snap rings in place of the snap-in type.....you will save lots of ruined shafts that way (if you get carried away with that abundant HP), and it costs almost nothing.

AJMBLAZER

Do the front and rear 10 bolts in the M1009s use the same third member? Are the spline counts the same? Thanks.
-Jesse
Yes and no but lockers and limited slips along with gears are the same.

Supposedly there are both 28 and 30 spline 10 bolt rears - logic would say no 28 spline axle would have found its way into any 1/2-ton 4x4 "military" vehicle......'course this is GM we are talking about...
All M1009 CUCV 10 bolts are the 28 spline variant. Around '88 or so the 30 spline started. My '89 SHOULD have 30 spline axles but I'm going to check before I ever buy anything that depends on it.
That swap should be fine, just make sure when you put it back together it has new axle joints.:-D
I like the Spicer 5-760X u-joints. Around 30% stronger than the old 5-297x's and only go for about $30 each.
Interesting, thanks guys. Was just thinking this might be a an easy way to put a limited in the front. A friend has several 10 bolts that are free for the taking and a couple are limited. May have to do some more digging around.
-Jesse
If they've got the factory Gov-Lock (Grenade Lock) pseudo locker than you're better off with it open. Just waiting for mine to fail, blow up, or just disappear (which means it's a time bomb).

4bogginchevys

Yeah, 3.07 and 3.08 aren't really different ratios. Remember it's all rough math with some advertising thrown in and there is about a 5% difference that can be tolerated (if I'm remembering it right).

For example in the "4.10's" area there's 4.09's, 4.10's, 4.11's, and 4.12's and I think I've even read a 4.08 referenced. All work with each other and it just depends on which axle, which gear set, etc etc etc determines which gears you get.

So in other words the front and rear axles don't have to match perfectly. 3.08 and 3.07 are just fine.

Also, it should bolt in but you'd need new rear U bolts meant for the 12 bolt equipped Blazer and a conversion U-joint. I THINK the brake lines bolt in but don't hold me to that.
I just wanted to clarify/correct this info for future viewers: The 12 bolt will use the same "straps" and u-joint(1310) as the 10 bolt, brake lines will match, 12 bolt uses the same axle u-bolts aswell(diameter). The only real noticable difference will be 2 more bolts and a slightly longer snout on the 12 bolt, but it wont be enought to matter.:-D

Last edited:

AJMBLAZER

No, just do a search on the interwebnets.com for "RPO codes" or "RPO decoder". I found some site back in May that had a LOT of them in alpabetical order. Think it was a F-body site. A lot of the codes were only used once and a lot of the rest are generic (G80 = limited slip/locker/etc no matter what vehicle it's in or what is actually in the diff, GT4 = 3.73...I think, Z71 = offroad package, Z82 = towing package, etc).
I spent a good hour decoding my Blazer's options.