• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

wanting 6 wheels instead of 10

jodyp

i am a new owner of a 1972 duece and a half. i have always wanted one and now i have one. i was looking for some advice on how to go about making it into a 6 wheel tandom set up instead of a dually. i just think it looks cooler. i emailed usa6x6 but i haven't heard anything back. any info would be helpful. you guys seem to be pretty knowledgable so i hope to learn alot about my truck from you.......thanks, jodyp

ajgerdes

Just a word of advice. Don't use USA6x6 unless you want to wait months for your stuff. Anyways i heard they are going out of business.

El_Guapo

There is a huge amount of topics and posts about super-singles. Browse the hot rodding section a bit. To summarize you have three options: one, stuff them on the 20x7.5 rims you have; two, buy two more wheels and modify the 12 into 6 wide rims (10"); three, buy some from odiron. You also need to pick a desired tire size.

jodyp

i was just browsing the forum and i think i pretty much found my answer. i should of looked further before posting this. i don't want anyone to think i'm wasting their time. apoc put 46" on his and it looks sweet. i dont know if i'll go that big or not. price will have alot to do with my decision. thanks.............jodyp

55Cameo

Whatever you decide on, do NOT use USA 6x6!!!! They are liars, cheats and theives. You will be promised the world and you will get nothing for a LOOOONG time except more promises, lies and misinformation until you finally get fed up with them and order everything somewhere else. Oh, by the way, they keep all of your money and you still get crap. This is not just my experience but everyone that has ever done business with them that I have talked to which is dozens. Not one good thing ever!

jodyp

i guess i won't be using usa6x6. altho now i'm not sure where to find wheels. i've seen some pretty cool lookin wheels on some of the bobbed dueces on here, so i might try to get some like those......

devilman96

Jody P,

Welcome to SS…

Here are a few links to guys running my wheels / tires... There are several more members whom have them so there might be another thread or two floating around with them.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=20431&highlight=shoes

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=22661&highlight=anniversary

Every time this subject comes up I get a slew if emails in regards to them so let me say this... Wheels are 11X20, reversible, tubeless, come in primer ONLY, I only build them for deuces, weight is 70 lbs each, center plates are 1/2. . . When mounted with G20 tires (15.5) they are aprox 2 inches wider than the front fenders. These are built to order and take between 2-5 weeks plus delivery time.

No I will not build them on a different back spacing, no I will not paint them, no I will not trade your wife, daughter, ex wife, or mother in law!

The tires I have are G20 (15.5)… current selection is 80-90% tread…

sermis

"No I will not build them on a different back spacing, no I will not paint them, no I will not trade your wife, daughter, ex wife, or mother in law!"

What about a gun, everyone will trad for a gun.

jimm1009

I have a question about the really kooooool looking wheels from O.D.Iron that I was hoping that an onwer-of-them could help me with.
With the OEM or original design and installation of the duals on the rear, there are two different lug nuts used (inner & outer). The holes in the wheels for the studs are machined to the size of the inner nut so they can be used on front and rear with the front lug nuts being larger in order to make up the gap.
With these O.D. wheels, are the holes for the studs the same diameter as the holes in the original wheels or do you use front lug nuts on both rear axles and do away with the inner nut?
Inquiring minds need to know.
Jim
jimm1009@yahoo.com

sermis

Same size hole as stock rim. Use front lug nuts is best. You can use the cap nuts but the front nuts cover more wheel area. I have a mix of both on my truck because I am too cheap to buy more nuts.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The OD Iron wheels have the same hole ID as the original wheels and they are chamfered on both sides making them reversible. This gives you the ability to flip the rear wheel instead of flipping the rear hub.

Alredneck

Banned
Howdy fellas, Apoc is my truck and shes runin 39585/R20s on stock rims no mods with 14R20 tubes and stock flaps. You can do a search in the hotrod deuce forum " Apoc's ready to plunder and pilage" . THe tires cost me about $100ea and tubes were $40ea give or take a couple bucks and I got a full size spare in the bed.

Attachments

saddamsnightmare

June 7th, 2008.

JodyP:
Unless you're really set on oversize tires, look into using Goodyear G177 Radial M+S 1100R20's, the military converted many M35A's to this system, you have the wheels, all you have to do is flip the rear hubs and you will end up with the proper tire track spacing to line up the fronts and rears..... TOO large a tire will get you the same problem the duals frequently have.... in mud or snow when partially loaded, the truck will float and not get enough traction. The West Virginia loggers love the M35A's when singled, not very fast, but there are few places the truck can't get to by itself. I don't know if its worth fitting the truck with enlarged rims to handle the way oversized tires, because then you get into handling and geometry issues that mey be best left alone. Also, even with the 1100R20's you will lose torque, but gain some speed in proportion.

Good luck with your truck, and if I were you, I would consider staying away from USA 6X6 even if they were staying in business, bad Ju-Ju seems to follow them and their products. I am sure there are more merchants around willing to take your money equally fast, just find ones with good business reputations and you'll be OK.
Bear in mind that these vehicles were designed as very large, very slow, and fairly capable off road (Tactical) trucks, if you use them and care for them correctly, they will do well by you, but if you try to change them into something they aren't engineered to be, life may get very interesting ( and possibly short).

Regards,

Kyle F. McGrogan

1971 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 Wo/W "Saddam's Nightmare" Desert Storm and Vietnam Veteran Deuce 686A Tan
1968 Johnson Mfg. Co. M105A2 Cargo Trailer, MERDC 4 color camouflage
1967 Hercules MEP023A Gasoline Generator set Woodland Green
1963 Swiss Army Cargo Unimog S404.114 MB NATO green

jodyp

see, i knew you guys would have the answers. you guys rock!! i'm so glad i found this sight. as soon as i get the chance i will get some pics of the truck on here.. thanks for all the info.................jody

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks