• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wanting a deuce for UMO

RobRiot

Hey SS, I'm new to the forums, but i've been reading these threads till i was dizzy these past couple days. I'm currently deployed to Afghanistan and have been thinking about getting a deuce when i return home in February. I am a training instructor down at fort Stewart GA and will have about a 40 mile one way commute. I was looking into just getting a duramax but with the way diesel prices are itd cost me an arm and a leg. Not to mention id pay just for the truck and worry about denting the thing. I already have a 2010 SS i have to fuel and pamper. When i showed my girlfriend a video of a m35a2 fording a river she made it clear we were getting one. Only after some research did i realize how amazing these vehicles were. After some reading and thinking I've decided to try to find a m35a2 with a whistler turbo and preferably a winch. I would like to bob it and throw it on some 46-49" singles. My goal is to make a daily driveable truck out of it. Filter my own umo and maximize it's mpg capabilities. I'm looking into the screw on filter mods with a third filter to be safe. with fuel pressure gauges after each to monitor fuel flow. I would also like to install an after market fuel pump if possible, to put less strain on the system. I understand a pyro is very important and i will do that first as well as a intake air temp gauge to monitor the engine. bigger intercooler, better piping and all the fixing would be in order to maximize the older piping. i understand this isnt a hot rod and im not trying to make it one. just tryin to make it more efficient. im thinking a boost controller would be needed. so i can control the boost and tweak the fuel when running umo cut with unleaded to maintain max performance while within safe operating tempts. There is a lot of other things im thinking about doing as well as a lot im sure im forgetting or not considering. I know theres a search button and i have tried to find most information on my own. But i still havent figured out what this motors breaking point is. how much boost it can handle and how reliable the injection pump is and things of that nature. what to be aware of. Just want to reiterate i know this isn't a cummings. I'm just trying to maximize efficiency and add a little more power for top end purposes and moving around in traffic... all while riding for free. Has anyone here been able to prefect this and does this seem to be a sound plan? Thank you guys for any input and your time, and this is an amazing site for an amazing machine.

Last edited:

ducer

No boost controller, no intercooler, no way to hotrod without grenading engine, rides like an old buckboard with no springs, can be fairly reliable with a lot of work. You can turn fuel up a little:whistle: but just a little. Comfy hotrod it ain't buy a duramax. Remember this is a 60 year old design and technology. But if you want something super cool that will turn heads wherever you go THIS IS YOUR BABY. I suggest you read up on this site to learn more about these trucks. Others will tell you the search button is your frend. I have little success with it so I just read everything I can.

Good luck and I hope I have not discouraged you from getting one, just maybe opened you'r eyes.

Denny:drool:

RobRiot

Thanks for the info. I'm not trying to hotrod, just maximize efficiency of umo. I just figured with cooler intake air it'll counter the added heat from more fuel and the boost would be for finer tuning. but thats just less stuff ill have to buy. I am used to hot rodding LS motors and i understand these are two very different machines. I'm use to riding in uncomfortable military trucks and stiff suspension sports cars. I just want a big truck that will grab attention and go wherever i need it to. The fact that this one is among the biggest and can be driven on waste oil makes it greatly appeal to me. I have a Super Sport for speed and comfort. I want something that will do work when needed and maneuver around town. I'm going to continue reading threads and researching UMO fuel options.

Last edited:

ducer

I do love the fact that I can throw just about anything in the tank and go. I get waste motor oil from work for my waste oil heater in the shop and now my deuce. Look on the alternative fuel page so you will understand what is involved in getting the oil ready for use. I to have had quite a few Super Sports in my day and still have my 67 impala convertable SS. As far as reliability go and usefulness from reading the many posts on here I seem to think leave it as close to stock as possible and add power steering, pyrometer/boost gauge, spin on filters. I also found out personaly grooving the ndtcc tires helps greatly with traction. My 2cents. I to am new to these monsters with just 5 years researching them before I finaly pulled the trigger and traded my tow truck golfcart for a 71 AM General m35a2 w/w.

By the way thank you for you'r service to our country.

Denny

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
First, thank you for your service. Second, my engine blew July first coming home from an event and it is stock. I don't push any of the trucks, ever but you don't know who drove it before you. I'm still working on getting mine back together.

RobRiot

Thank you. I love my SS, although I'm looking to sell it for the 2015, but thats a whole different story. I have been reading about filtering UMO and the process that entails. I think spending some cash to be able to filter waste and drive for free would be definitely worth it. I like expanding my knowledge of useful things like this so it's no trouble. I had a buddy who pieced together the systems for cummings guys who wanted to run mixs. But as to my own set up im slightly lost as to which way to go (gravity fed, pressurized, or centrifugal). So you say a boost gauge is needed. I can understand that. And power steering will definitely be something i do. Is it easy to switch to a 12v system. I know you just use an inverter but that's about all i know. i would like to run all electronics in the cab that way. In my mind i want to have a modern style cab. I'd redo the dash for the electronics and switches and maybe upgrade certain gauges if possible. I like doing custom stuff like that and i don't feel like i could really mess anything up. I'm decent with wiring and love spray paint haha. Building brackets for some serious seats and some other attempts to make it more comfortable. Still doing all this would be way cheaper than buying a duramax. I'd still spend a lot on upgrading it. Might as well have it be something i made and that people don't see everyday. None of that is a big issue to me. the hardest part i would expect is making sure the engine cranks everyday and hope it holds together at redline haha.

RobRiot

SEE and that's what im trying to figure out. why do these things pop so easily. I mean it doesn't make a lot of power, how is it failing. there has to be something to do. I mean ima try to score a spare engine because i know me. I just need to figure out how to get the darn thing 10 feet in the air to put it in this tall sucker. But that's another reason im skeptical about buying one from the auctions in bad shape.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh, the easiest way to get 12v is with a converter from 24v to 12.

If you are going to hope it holds together at redline read my last post link a few times. I run my "new" M813 at around 2,150RPM which is way below redline. I do not want to change a Cummins 855.

RobRiot

thats a nice little engine lift setup you had there. I hate laying under a lifted vehicle i would have died if i thought it just fell on me haha. and i guess you just mount that converter on the firewall?

Thanks for your service. I'm also fairly new to the Deuce but from I've read so far the engine is very sensitive to over revving and it seems like that's where they let go. As far as the turbo, it's my understanding that the turbo was added only to help eliminate the heavy exhaust smoke form the diesel and not so much for power. I would guess a little more oxygen in the chamber for a more complete burn of the fuel and only a 5HP increase in power. I've also read that some of the problems with the head gaskets and heat issues were solved in the later models of the LD 465 engine.

RobRiot

so aim for a later model? i was kind of trying to do that anyways, so good. over reving @ 2600? that blows my mind. are there any other true multifuel motors out there? that would run of wmo and atf?

rmgill

Hi Rob! First, let me thank you for your service!

Now, I'm in Atlanta and I have a Deuce. If you'd like to take a trip up to Atlanta once you get back to CONUS, I can show you mine and we can go over some of the details of how they work and go over care and feeding, drive it around and see the details.

My suggestion would be to go high-low. Get a Jeep even an older one for not a lot of money and use that as a runabout and get a deuce. I have a small Honda Hybrid as my daily driver and the Deuce as the move things and have fun truck. That works very well. The deuce is a great truck but they're big and slow and if you're in a hurry they're vey much the wrong vehicle to have.

RobRiot

Well thanks gill, ill have to take you up on that offer. I will be visiting atlanta shortly after i get home. I would love to see a working one in order. I know its silly but i'd still use the camaro as a daily. Can't put a price on cool. even if it's 4$ a gallon

welldigger

Robriot welcome to SS. First as a few have said there isn't much hot rodding that can be done to these trucks. As far as alternative fuels go it is my understanding wmo actually has more btu when burned than diesel fuel. Thats why you commonly see pyro meters on trucks that run these fuels. So its pretty much prep the fuel and dump in your tank and go. The best way I have seen to prepare wmo is with a centrifuge setup. A centrifuge will remove particles and contaminants filters simply cannot. You also mentioned the spin on filter adapters also and though expensive for the full setup WORTH EVERY PENNY IMO. I installed the full fuel and oil filter setup on my truck and now all of my filters are easy to change and available at my local NAPA in stock. The m-35 series is a great truck for what it is. Just don't fool yourself into thinking its something it's not and you will love it.

bigbird189

Well thank you sir for your service. I am also new to the deuce world. These things are freaking awesome and they will turn heads like no other but they are slow. I have had my deuce for about a 1 month and wishing so bad for power steering. Mine has the whistler turbo and love it. The other thing to start considering is the right tools for these big trucks. I love these things but sometimes I think I bit off more then I can chew. They are unique and I like unique. I think if my deuce had power steering I would be content completely. So good luck in your findings and find the right one.

welldigger

Well thank you sir for your service. I am also new to the deuce world. These things are freaking awesome and they will turn heads like no other but they are slow. I have had my deuce for about a 1 month and wishing so bad for power steering. Mine has the whistler turbo and love it. The other thing to start considering is the right tools for these big trucks. I love these things but sometimes I think I bit off more then I can chew. They are unique and I like unique. I think if my deuce had power steering I would be content completely. So good luck in your findings and find the right one.
Honestly the only special tools I have had to buy are sockets and an impact big enough to bust off the wheels. Also the spindle nuts require a large special socket. Other than that its no different than working on my chevrolet. In fact the simplicity of these trucks along with the wealth of information on them has made it easier IMO. Once you get over how big everything is there's nothing difficult about these trucks.

RobRiot

Well thanks for the input guys. I am still wanting to get one of these awesome machines. Just need to figure out whats the best way to do it.

bigbird189

I say buy from private owner less chances of issues with titles and yout will know if it runs or not but that just my 2 cents.

goodguyzy

I have a deuce and a 08 duramax 3500, I drive my duramax. I thought that I could use my bobber for a every day driver but it takes to long to warm up, shut down, drive.......but I would still get one if I were you.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks