• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Warming up w/ charcoal?

Braunchitis

So my M1009 is having trouble starting today. It acts like the batteries are dead, but when I checked them with my multimeter I was getting 12.2V. Whoever put the batteries in before me didn't bother to punch out the little numbers on the label, so I don't know how old they are but I'm guessing that they're too cold.

I've heard of people warming up the motor by putting a small charcoal fire underneath it...has anyone tried this? Is this a bad idea?

I realize this is just a short term solution, I just need to get it going so I can go straight to NAPA and buy a heater for the batteries and/or block...

KsM715

Does your truck leak oil? Ever see what a steak does on the grill when drippings from the fat drop into the fire?

91W350

What oil do you have in there?

A space heater and a large tarp might be a workable option.

Along these lines, they did start old Caterpillars by building fires under them, they had a lot less to burn though. Glen

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Find and fix your problem. Battery heaters are not your problem

6x6guy

Your batteries might be putting out 12.2 volts but you need to obtain a load meter to determine if one or both of your batteries are sufficient to start you diesel engine, 1) good battery will not start your truck, check the battery connections first. :roll:

dstang97

Beat me to it

You can not test with a multi meter because there is no load on the battery. Do your self a favor and bring them down to get tested. That would save you the headache of troubleshooting. Another thing your starter may be on its way out has the same symptoms

swyne

Actually 12.2 is on the low. 12.7 to 13.5 is the best. Make sure you check your voltage coming from the Alts to. Be sure they are putting out at least 13.0 to 14V. If not your batteries won't last as long as they should. There is sometimes little colored stickers on the batteries with a letter and a number. That can tell you the age of a battery too. Like A6 (Jan '06) , F7 (Feb '07)

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd warm up CUCV and HMMWV engines out in the field by using a coleman type lantern. A bit safer than a fire, but not much... Granted there was about 5 feet of packed snow and we dug a little hole for it to sit in under the block, but it worked. It was also -30 to -50 out and the trucks were cold soaked...

Last edited:

Westech

CPL
unless its -65 out.. your truck will start if the glow plugs are working, you have good batteries, and you have the correct engine oil. 15W-40 works the best in the winter months.

kipman

Get yourself a block heater, mine is 600 watt, my trucks starts at 10 deg like it is 80 deg, no bag full of hammers sounds.:p

nobody uses 15 40 up here in the winter if your vehicle is outside. good block heater 0/30 or 0/40 synthetic and a battery blanket. if you want to see the difference place a cup full of each in the freezer overnight and see which one you want in your engine for the first 5 minuts however i have seen a stovepipe with an elbow on one end and a tiger torch on the other end if its 4or 5 feet long only heat gets to the oil pan works good to start a skidder or tractor

Last edited:

Braunchitis

Well, that didn't work. It was worth a try, though.
I like drgreg's idea...I'll give that a try.
I pulled the batteries out, one was manufactured in May 2004 and the other Oct 04... As I said the date installed was not marked on the batteries.
They are Exide 31s. Any ideas on how long these should last? Are they due for replacement?

The oil is Rotella T, 15W-40, just changed a few hundred miles ago.

jsrovers

Put in a plug style block heater and a magnetic heater on your oil pan. Buy a 5000 watt generator and plug them both in. Hopefully its not too cold for the generator to start. HAHA.

:roll:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why guess, take them to the auto parts store ,and have them load tested.

A battery can go bad, in very little time(that's why they have warranties and pro rate them)

Also, be careful bringing them in the house to warm. Batteries can emit toxic and explosive gas.

LEW6X6

Anyone check to see if the batteries were hooked up correctly? Bad connections could do this also. Turn on the headlights and try to start, if the lights go out you are plenty low on battery power. If the lights stay bright, look elswhere

Somemedic

July is the time to install a block heater, not january. S-can those old batts for some new ones, make sure ALL of your gp's are in working order and try to use a synth or synth blend 15-40. Good, clean batt connections with full batts will work as well as brazillion watt block heaters, but dont do squat when the juice doesnt get to where it needs to go.

And if you really want to build a campfire under the motor like the germs did on the russian front, go ahead. Just pull the extinguisher out of the cab first. If yours leaks like mine you will probably need it.