• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Warming up w/ charcoal?

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One trick I learned while in the army was to turn the headlights on for 10 minutes prior to attempting to start in very cold weather. The drain from the headlights warmed up the battery enough to allow the engine to crank. Obviously, leaving them on too long won't do you any good.

skark_burmer

Another solution i have used with great success is to get a running vehicle and some home style dryer duct or anything similar and a 6 pack of timing liquid.

with vehicle #1 running you need to route the exhaust under the hood of the cold vehicle. I suggest laying the tube on the ground, point the end up and leave the hood closed. Start vehicle #1 and relax while Mr Combustion does his work. While your good friend Mr Combustion is working hard, enjoy your beers, err i mean timing liquid. If you are a college student or a distinguished person i would categorize as an "advanced drinker" you will need more timing liquid. If you prefer to taste the swill you are choking down then you can probably scrape by with 2 or 3 malted beverages. Colt 45, PBR or Rhinelanders are optimum choices for this project This will also reduce the monetary investment required.

you can rev the piss out of #1 and that will make the process work slightly faster, but you will appear to be an drunken, impatient, ass during this exercise. Just be cool, drink your timing liquid and relax. Even better, take a nap.

the larger vehicle #1 is the faster this will work, i have been known to use lawn mowers for this but only when provoked. It takes a while, but it will work. this also works if your diesel fuel gels from the cold.
(All those smelly hippies running bio diesel in the winter will really appreciate you saving their ass too. Otherwise they have to find a heated garage to store it in overnight. Its best to tell them that you only use the highest quality timing liquid and therefore you will bail them out for a mere $100. they will gladly pay it, as long as they dont get busted by the cops for trying to sell weed to come up with your bribe money. Err i mean fee. Err i mean reimbursement. Err i mean donation.)

Air quality issues will arise if this is indoors obviously so be careful. If its windy outside use a tarp to eliminate the wind from your little slow cooker project.

Enjoy.

Dodgeman1941

A couple of winters ago I had problems with my Durango being very temp sensitive when really cold. How we handeled is short term {fire it up to get it into the shop to work on it} we took a propane turbo heater and ran it into the wheel well, blowing under the truck. After about 20 minutes things warmed up enough to fire up.

BTW it was 8 degrees here the other night and the 1009 fired up with just glow plugs.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks