• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WARNING: Bad Torque Rod Ends

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
ALERT: to all M39, M809 and M939 series 5 Ton truck owners,

I purchased six aftermarket 5 Ton Torque Rod Ends from eBay seller wolfer-parts in early September for my torque end replacement project. They were sold as new, unused parts per the seller's listing. They are designed for all M39, M809 and M939 series 5 Ton trucks. I checked the seller's current listings and there are none of these ends listed. I have seen similar ends available from other sellers both on and off eBay. Unfortunately, I cannot ascertain a LOT number from these ends. The surface rust is from some damp weather we've had locally and was not present at time of delivery.
SDC11711.jpgSDC11712.jpg

I had them professionally pressed into my existing torque rods along with six NOS military ends. The shop used a 30 ton press, a special sized arbor equal to the diameter of the outer steel case and some light lubricant to complete the job. NO heat was applied and they were pressed in from the chamfered side per the TM..

As I was completing installation on my truck, I noticed three out of the six of these ends were already showing signs of rubber separation from the outer steel casing.This was with normal articulation of the rear axles through jacking and I had not even driven the truck yet. One failed the military pry bar test (per PS Monthly instructions) by pulling out by 1/2" and not returning to center. You can see the the offsetting in the three below pics. Losing faith in all these ends, I removed all six ends and replaced them with all NOS military issue which cost me extra down time, repair time and money. Needless to say, I was a "bit" ticked (understatement).

SDC11709.jpgSDC11710.jpgSDC11713.jpgps402_25_Torque_Rod_check.jpg

I was able to easily slip the outer steel casing off one of the failed ends with little effort.
There are no signs of tearing or distortion to the rubber bushing or the steel case. There's not much holding this end together.

SDC11715.jpgSDC11716.jpgSDC11717.jpg

I have notified the seller of this problem and I am awaiting their response. I would encourage all 5-ton (M39, M809, M939 series) owners to recheck their torque rods if they have installed these ends similar to these regardless of who you bought them from.

In hindsight, I am glad I discovered this issue before I put the truck back on the street.

Last edited:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are these New Star brand? I sell New Star parts and would like to know before I sell any to somebody.

I still say they could have been pressed in incorrectly. I agree though it doesn't look like the rubber was bonded well the the outer ring from the pics.

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are these New Star brand? I sell New Star parts and would like to know before I sell any to somebody.

I still say they could have been pressed in incorrectly. I agree though it doesn't look like the rubber was bonded well the the outer ring from the pics.
I am not sure of the brand as the are no markings on the ends and they had no individual packaging. I watched the the mechanic at the shop press several of them in. They were pressed in on the chamfered side of the rod per TM and the arbor pressed only on the outer steel portion of the ends. All the NOS end are performing as intended. I test drove the truck after the second install and rechecked. No problems. I personally believe it is a bonding issue at the manufacturer as evidenced by the outer casing being easily removed. I will report back when the seller contacts me.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, did he offer you a full refund?

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
..........I sell New Star parts and would like to know before I sell any to somebody...
I would "pick some samples" and put them to test: carefully( !) support the outer sleeve and press down on the stud, about 3/8" - both directions. Everything should fully return to its original shape, with NO signs of rubber separating from the sleeve!

G.

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Update: the seller contacted me and was apologetic. This is what they said,

"Thank you for your email.
Since you sent it we have reached out to all customers and have advised them of the potential hazard.
We are very sorry that this has happened. It seems that this happened in a small lot that we received last spring.
I have contacted the manufacturer and we will have replacements within 30 days.
Again we are very sorry that this occurred."

I have written them back to ascertain the manufacturer of these particular ends.

So, did he offer you a full refund?
I did not ask for a refund. Was kind of tossed about it, but sometimes you just take a loss. I just want to make sure everyone is safe.

rangereter

I would add that there is a reason why this rockwell style suspension has not been used for a very long time...(too little rubber with too much torsion...the Mack camelback and Henderickson have proven themselves much more reliable). Also I would submit that a 30 year old NOS bushing end no matter how well preserved will have given much of it's H2O back to the atmosphere and could only have so much of it's original elasticity (like a rubber band that has been in a desk drawer for many years, pull on it just a little, and it breaks). I tend to think that if these bushings/ends are being made anywhere overseas, the QAQC would not be much of a factor based on the volume of demand for item, coupled with a lower liability for failure they could probably make them pretty cheap. Regards,
Bob

WOLFER

Yes we did have a few of those defective torque rod ends slip in to our stock. When realized we immediately removed.

We restocked and have provided over 500+ to military and civilians with no problems.

Hope we can help with any supply needs and we apologize for any inconvenience.

Please feel free to contact us with any questions or concerns.

Looking forward to serving you.

TheWolfer.com

Al Harvey

I just want to thank MyothersanM1 for being very professional in this posting. Everyone should appreciate how he did not get on here and say that it was all the sellers fault and that the seller was trying to rip people off or sell junk parts. He noticed a problem and even followed up to determine the source of the problem. He then contacted the seller who in turn has replied on here. I give both parties a major thumbs up and thank them for being professional and showing how people can still be very polite and solve an issue. :beer: Thank you both.

delta5

You have to be very careful where you buy truck parts, civilian or military right now. The market is being flooded with cheap quality and even totally bogus, counter-fit parts right now. Even OEM dealers are having problems.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks